HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Which of our top 6 D prospects is most likely to become trade bait? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1273549)

BigBenSF* 10-20-2012 12:52 PM

Which of our top 6 D prospects is most likely to become trade bait?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 55137771)
I've been wanting to create a Poll (for quite a while now) that would list our Top 6 prospet Dmen (or top 8 if you includeStrait & Bortuzzo) and allow people to vote on who Shero will most likely eventally move for help on the wings once the season resumes. I think we can all agree that we have a major log-jam on D and I believe Shero has already been quoted at the draft that they're always in high demand and can be used as trade bait in the future.

Can anybody help me out or better yet, create it? :help:

This is not a poll on which defenseman has the most value, but which one Shero will most likely move come the start of the season or midseason.

Beauner 10-20-2012 01:04 PM

Well, we need help on D so I doubt Despres gets traded as he's the closest to the NHL. Morrow seems awesome so I don't see him moving either. We just acquired Dumo and picking Pouliot at freaking 8th overall shows Shero probably likes him a lot.

It's between Harrington and Maatta for me. I picked Harrington because he's a couple years away and could being back a decent amount (more than what's left at least). That being said, I DO NOT want him traded. He looks quite promising.

Slabber Chops 10-20-2012 01:55 PM

I do think it is out of Harrington, Maata, and Dumoulin as Despres, Morrow, and Pouliot fill an organisational need at this time.

Of the two, I went with Dumoulin as he is further along in his development, which may be attractive for immediate help on the wings. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maata moved in a similar fashion. Harrington is equally an option, however I get the feeling that they will wait and see with him for a while at least.

Darth Vitale 10-20-2012 02:38 PM

Morrow is the least likely IMO, of the others none are "likely to be traded" per se but you can easily see a scenario where any of them might be traded if there's big value coming back to address a different need.

I have the gut feeling we won't trade Harrington because of how the organization thinks and operates. Of the others it's too early to know until we see them all play at a higher level than where they are currently, for at least a full season or two. So if trade happens probably it will happen before any of us has any logical reason to assume it would be that person.

SprootsMasterFlex 10-20-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg1 (Post 55138671)
Well, we need help on D so I doubt Despres gets traded as he's the closest to the NHL. Morrow seems awesome so I don't see him moving either. We just acquired Dumo and picking Pouliot at freaking 8th overall shows Shero probably likes him a lot.

It's between Harrington and Maatta for me. I picked Harrington because he's a couple years away and could being back a decent amount (more than what's left at least). That being said, I DO NOT want him traded. He looks quite promising.

I agree with all of your points. When it was time for Shero to pick (the Pens original 1st rounder, not the 8th Overall), it just felt as though he took Maatta because he slipped so much and it was a no-brainer... but not necessarily because they were in love with the player per-se.

Beauner 10-20-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 55140829)
I agree with all of your points. When it was time for Shero to pick (the Pens original 1st rounder, not the 8th Overall), it just felt as though he took Maatta because he slipped so much and it was a no-brainer... but not necessarily because they were in love with the player per-se.

Definitely. I remember someone said after the draft something along the lines of "If you told me we got Maatta at 8th and Pouliot at 22 I wouldn't think twice".


Something I just wondered now: If Ray knew Olli would slip to 22, I wonder if he still would've taken Pouliot.

Sutter16 10-20-2012 06:23 PM

It's a tough call but i think it's out of Harrington,Maatta and Pouliot. Pouliot being the least likely of the three.

jmelm 10-20-2012 07:52 PM

I think, by far, Harrington is the least likely to be traded because he's the safest bet of any of them to make a significant impact in the NHL. I would say Pouliot is 2nd least likely to be moved, because he brings a unique skillset (pure offensive defenseman) that none of our other prospects have.

I would say the most likely to be moved is one of Despres or Dumoulin. I think they could fill a similar role, and they are both equally close to being ready, so I think the Pens will watch each of these guys closely, decide which one they like better, and make the other one a trade asset. I also think one of Bortuzzo and Strait will be trade bait, likely Strait.

Jacob 10-20-2012 07:53 PM

None. The ones that pan out will be Penguins, the ones that don't wont get dealt for anything significant.

Ziggyjoe21 10-20-2012 08:03 PM

Maatta. At first I wanted to say Pouliot, but it seems like the Pens are much higher on him that most other teams. Maatta seems to be well liked by other teams even though he slipped in his draft, and he doesn't fill a "need" per se. I think he has the highest trade value to tradability ratio of the top 6 D prospects.

I think if Morrow and Pouliot will develop as projected, Pouliot will be traded. I mean, what purpose does have Letang, Morrow, and Pouliot serve?

Mr. T 10-20-2012 09:38 PM

I don't think we can pick a likely candidate until they've proven something in the NHL.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 10-21-2012 01:02 AM

We'd better hope it's not Harrington. We need a defenseman like him more than any other we have in the pipeline.

Ogrezilla 10-21-2012 07:26 AM

I don't think Shero would want to trade these guys too early before they really have a meaningful trade value when he has seen what kind of return you can get for NHL ready offensive defensemen. If he was interested in trading one of these guys for a forward prospect he wouldn't have drafted Pouliot and Maatta; he would have drafted a forward prospect. I think the plan would be to use these guys as replacements on our own team and trade the guys ahead of them on our depth chart. Assuming they somehow all work out as well as we hope, they could start bumping each other like that down the road. Harrington, Maatta and Pouliot may eventually make guys like Dumoulin, Despres and Morrow expendable while we fill in with vets.

That said, if Despres makes the team this year (if there is a "this year") I would not be shocked if he is the piece we need to ship out to get the wing upgrade we are looking for around the deadline. None of the other young guys will have the NHL experience to give them that boost in value. So I think he's the most likely trade bait (out of these options at least) because there's no guarantee any of the rest ever even get to the point of development that Despres is at right now.

StaalForOne 10-21-2012 07:58 AM

Voted Dumoulin, but agree with most. It will depend how they actually look down the road. I wouldn't rule out trading a vet either. Orpik or maybe Martin depending on how they look this(optimistic) or next(realistic) year. Lovejoy and Niskanen should be considered as well.

JTG 10-21-2012 08:11 AM

I just can't see Morrow being used as bait. All the other's are fair game.

I think in terms of trading, IF these guys develop, we have some pretty valuable defensemen on the NHL roster right now that some team will probably spend a good asset on.

dannyj10 10-21-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 55155933)
We'd better hope it's not Harrington. We need a defenseman like him more than any other we have in the pipeline.

I agree. I honestly don't want any of these guys gone unless its in a deal for a legit winger for Sid. We can't ship Harrington though.theres just something about the kid

Ugene Malkin 10-21-2012 09:31 AM

Right now, I'd say Domoulin, but it's to hard to guess on the future ones just being drafted recently.

Is Letang still here?
Will Morrow pan out with his tremendous skill set?
How long will Martin be a Penguin?
Will Orpik still be a Penguin after his contract is up?

It's early too even say who's out and who's in.

The new CBA may have the most effect on this.

SprootsMasterFlex 10-21-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 55157739)
I don't think Shero would want to trade these guys too early before they really have a meaningful trade value when he has seen what kind of return you can get for NHL ready offensive defensemen. If he was interested in trading one of these guys for a forward prospect he wouldn't have drafted Pouliot and Maatta; he would have drafted a forward prospect. I think the plan would be to use these guys as replacements on our own team and trade the guys ahead of them on our depth chart. Assuming they somehow all work out as well as we hope, they could start bumping each other like that down the road. Harrington, Maatta and Pouliot may eventually make guys like Dumoulin, Despres and Morrow expendable while we fill in with vets.

That said, if Despres makes the team this year (if there is a "this year") I would not be shocked if he is the piece we need to ship out to get the wing upgrade we are looking for around the deadline. None of the other young guys will have the NHL experience to give them that boost in value. So I think he's the most likely trade bait (out of these options at least) because there's no guarantee any of the rest ever even get to the point of development that Despres is at right now.

I disagree about Despres being the tradebait if he makes the team. We need size on the backend and they're even thinking about pairing him with Letang on the first pairing.

The one good thing about this lockout is that its giving mgmt an opportunity to focus more on scouting our young D in WBS and the CHL, and giving them a better idea about what we have and where they stand. I'm sure they're keeping an eye also on Tangradi and bennett to see if they truly do have the potential to make the team this year. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Tangradi being shipping with one of our D (young D or one of our vets if they think that Depres is ready for the NHL). Sometimes, some players just need a change a scenery to flourish.

I see Maatta as the scapegoat for reasons brought up before by several posters.

Ogrezilla 10-21-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 55162081)
I disagree about Despres being the tradebait if he makes the team. We need size on the backend and they're even thinking about pairing him with Letang on the first pairing.

The one good thing about this lockout is that its giving mgmt an opportunity to focus more on scouting our young D in WBS and the CHL, and giving them a better idea about what we have and where they stand. I'm sure they're keeping an eye also on Tangradi and bennett to see if they truly do have the potential to make the team this year. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Tangradi being shipping with one of our D (young D or one of our vets if they think that Depres is ready for the NHL). Sometimes, some players just need a change a scenery to flourish.

I see Maatta as the scapegoat for reasons brought up before by several posters.

we aren't going to get much of a return if Tangradi and Maatta are the main pieces going the other way. Of the players included in this poll, Despres is by far the most likely to be a major part of a trade for a proven NHL player during this upcoming season. None of these guys could bring back a proven top 6 forward at this point unless its someone over the hill. Obviously any of them could be throw-ins ala Tangradi in the Whitney for Kunitz trade. But if the d-man from this list is a major part of the deal, Despres is really the only one who might bring back a return that makes sense any time soon.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 10-21-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 55164573)
we aren't going to get much of a return if Tangradi and Maatta are the main pieces going the other way. Of the players included in this poll, Despres is by far the most likely to be a major part of a trade for a proven NHL player during this upcoming season. None of these guys could bring back a proven top 6 forward at this point unless its someone over the hill. Obviously any of them could be throw-ins ala Tangradi in the Whitney for Kunitz trade. But if the d-man from this list is a major part of the deal, Despres is really the only one who might bring back a return that makes sense any time soon.

The question is, can anyone make the case that the reigning highest scoring team in the NHL - a team which also put up arguably the worst defensive performance in NHL history last playoffs - needs a top 6 winger more than an NHL-ready defense prospect who played better than any blueliner they had outside of their #1.

I don't know if anyone can, despite how much we'd all like to see Sid paired with a guy who can actually create something on his own.

Uemoda 10-21-2012 03:31 PM

I say Despres. I feel like he'll fit that Goligoski role of being good offensively, average defensively, but ultimately redundant.

Freeptop 10-21-2012 03:40 PM

Given that the question was asking about this coming season, I voted none. I think the more likely scenario is that one or two prospects will make players on the NHL roster expendable. Depending on how various prospects pan out, I could see Niskanen being made available, for instance.

I also think Shero's looking to build the blueline internally for years to come, so that he never again has to go out and buy defensemen in free agency :laugh:

Ogrezilla 10-21-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 55166819)
The question is, can anyone make the case that the reigning highest scoring team in the NHL - a team which also put up arguably the worst defensive performance in NHL history last playoffs - needs a top 6 winger more than an NHL-ready defense prospect who played better than any blueliner they had outside of their #1.

I don't know if anyone can, despite how much we'd all like to see Sid paired with a guy who can actually create something on his own.

Your premise seems to assume that wings do nothing but score and defensemen are the only players responsible for playing defense. This group of defensemen are a year removed from carrying our team to the playoffs with very strong defensive play. I don't buy for a second that we have a bad group of defensemen. I also don't buy Despres playing better than everyone but our #1. He played unbelievably sheltered minutes. Let's see what he can do in a full season in a real role. And ya, replacing Sullivan with a wing who can actually win a puck battle would help our overall team defense. Wings help prevent goals as well as score points.

I'm not saying we should trade him by the way. I'm all for giving Despres and Tangradi a shot at this point. I'm just saying that out of the players in this poll, Despres is the only one that could be a major piece of a trade that would make any sense for us. The rest of them would either be traded for over the hill vets, other prospects or used as throw-ins in a bigger deal but they aren't going to be the focus of a deal for a long term wing solution. I would expect Martin or Niskanen to be traded before Despres. They just aren't included in the poll.

JTG 10-21-2012 07:59 PM

I want to watch Dumoulin. I have a friend who went to BC and is a huge Hockey East fan, and he said Dumoulin is the quintessential #3 NHL defenseman.

If I had to guess what guy gets traded, it'd be Pouliot. His type of skillset fetches the biggest return, and though he's probably the most naturally offensive defenseman, I don't think we'll need him.

Ogrezilla 10-21-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTG (Post 55175265)
I want to watch Dumoulin. I have a friend who went to BC and is a huge Hockey East fan, and he said Dumoulin is the quintessential #3 NHL defenseman.

If I had to guess what guy gets traded, it'd be Pouliot. His type of skillset fetches the biggest return, and though he's probably the most naturally offensive defenseman, I don't think we'll need him.

if Pouliot gets traded, it will be years from now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.