HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Subway Super Series U20, Nov 5 - 15, 2012 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1274127)

cska78 10-22-2012 08:33 AM

Subway Super Series U20, Nov 5 - 15, 2012
 
Russian roster is out:http://www.allhockey.ru/news/133168/#reviewname.

Goalkeepers: Igor Ustinskiy ("Steel Foxes"), Andrei Vasilevski ("Tolpar").

Defenders: Jaroslav Dyblenko ("Atlanta"), Mikhail Naumenko ("Red Army"), Nikita Nesterov ("Tractor"), Leonid Sukhoruchkin ("Tolpar"), Alex Vasilevsky ("Tolpar"), Albert Yarullin ("Ak Bars" ), Andrei Mironov ("Dynamo" Moscow), Cyril Dyakov ("Ugra"), Paul Koledov ("Loco"), Ilya Lyubushkin ("Loco").

Forwards: Yaroslav Kosov ("Metallurg", Magnitogorsk), Nail Yakupov ("Neftekhimik"), Anton Schoenfeld ("Steel Foxes"), Vladimir Tkachev ("Ak Bars"), Alexander Khokhlachev ("Spartacus"), Damir Zhafyarov (" Metallurg "Novokuznetsk), Maxim Shalunov (" Chelmet "), Eugene Moser (" Vanguard "), Alexander Kadeykin (" Atlanta "), Andrey Sigarev (SKA), Edward Gimatov (" Motorist "), Kirill Kapustin (" Loco " ), Bulat Baykeev ("Leopard"), Bogdan Yakimov ("Diesel"), Valery Nichushkin ("Chelmet").

Helpoing 10-23-2012 02:38 AM

Lots of KHLers on the team. Quite unusual for SSS.

cska78 10-24-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helpoing (Post 55209229)
Lots of KHLers on the team. Quite unusual for SSS.

well, Varnakov coming from a VHL background doesn't know the product all that well, so he wants to see all the premiere candidates in battle environment, I can understand that.

Two early concerns: Varnakov seems to prefer guys with KHL/AHL experience even if it's minimal and they have 7-8 KHL/VHL games with a few shifts per, what kind of game shape will they be?

He really likes big d-man, both select teams (Subway series and 4-nation) are loaded with humongous d-men. To me it seems Sweden is the team to beat and last year's Bragin-team looked very slow vs. swedes.

Other than that, I think the strongest players are being called up and I see very little questionable names if any.

Fulcrum 10-24-2012 11:43 PM

I think the MAIN strategy behind inviting the best is because the Tournament will be played in Russia and to build chemistry. Winning it, at almost any cost, is very important. That is why all the KHL clubs are willing to let go of their regulars, the league is supporting the U20 team and letting the coaches the freedom to do whatever they want. Last year, for example, most KHL'ers weren't bothered.

Actually I don't have concerns over the choices of KHL/VHL players. VHL players get good to great playing time(Shenfeld, Shalunov, Nichushkin and so on...), and the KHL players are mostly regulars and also get good time (Kosov, Zhafyarov, Khokhlochev). I think the shape should be good. Guys like Kosov would be in even better shape than CHL'ers, since they are used to playing against men. MHL'ers are obviously getting good time too.

I am a bit worried about CHLers targetting Yakupov and other key players, or at least shadowing him too much. They could get injured in a rather meaningless tournament

Good thing is that there are guys like Kosov, Dyblenko, Yakimov who can easily stand up for their teammates.

There aren't any real KHL bench warmers on this team.

tourlord* 10-25-2012 11:58 AM

Crossing my fingers I'll be able to watch all games on T.V

Flynn84 10-27-2012 09:41 PM

What about Pedan?

Fulcrum 10-27-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn84 (Post 55332281)
What about Pedan?

Not good enough

Fantomas 10-28-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulcrum (Post 55334905)
Not good enough

Not too surprised. Although he's having a good year so far.

cska78 10-28-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn84 (Post 55332281)
What about Pedan?

he has proven time and time again - he's not a European rink size player.

Yakushev72 10-28-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 55257341)
well, Varnakov coming from a VHL background doesn't know the product all that well, so he wants to see all the premiere candidates in battle environment, I can understand that.

Two early concerns: Varnakov seems to prefer guys with KHL/AHL experience even if it's minimal and they have 7-8 KHL/VHL games with a few shifts per, what kind of game shape will they be?

He really likes big d-man, both select teams (Subway series and 4-nation) are loaded with humongous d-men. To me it seems Sweden is the team to beat and last year's Bragin-team looked very slow vs. swedes.

Other than that, I think the strongest players are being called up and I see very little questionable names if any.

Since Ufa has full-scale big ice, I agree that speed and mobility are the most important factors for the D - lack of speed and ability to get to the puck quickly and break out of the zone is what really hurt Russia in Calgary against the Czechs, the Canadians and the Swedes. Forechecking is less effective on big ice, but speed and quickness is a much bigger advantage than size.

tourlord* 11-01-2012 12:23 PM

McDavid and Hall added to Team OHL

Connor McDavid of the Erie Otters and Zach Hall of the Barrie Colts will compete in the 2012 SUBWAY® Super Series for Team OHL on Thursday November 8 in Guelph.

cska78 11-01-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourlord (Post 55439081)
McDavid and Hall added to Team OHL

Connor McDavid of the Erie Otters and Zach Hall of the Barrie Colts will compete in the 2012 SUBWAY® Super Series for Team OHL on Thursday November 8 in Guelph.

just found out he's 15, WOW:handclap:

Fulcrum 11-01-2012 05:43 PM

tune-up vid for the upcoming Russian SSS and WJC

cska78 11-04-2012 06:23 PM

game one tomorrow can't wait!!!

Yakushev72 11-05-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 55523357)
game one tomorrow can't wait!!!

Tonight's game is being televised live on NHL Network in the US at 7 p.m. Eastern. I don't know if they will televise all six games, but what better do they have to do?

cska78 11-05-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakushev72 (Post 55539387)
Tonight's game is being televised live on NHL Network in the US at 7 p.m. Eastern. I don't know if they will televise all six games, but what better do they have to do?

they should be showing USHL, CHL, ECHL and AHL, instead, i think they are showing old nhl games.

Yakushev72 11-05-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 55539889)
they should be showing USHL, CHL, ECHL and AHL, instead, i think they are showing old nhl games.

They are showing old NHL games non-stop. But if the opportunity comes to show live games such as the Subway Series that feature players who will be in the NHL as soon as it reconvenes, they will do it. I haven't checked to see if the remaining five games will also be televised, but it is probably likely that more of the Series will be shown.

Yakushev72 11-05-2012 02:01 PM

Game 2 of the Subway Series vs. the QMJHL will also be televised by the NHL Network on Wednesday at 7 pm Eastern. They are also replaying Game 1 in an abbreviated version (without in-between periods, etc.) early Tuesday morning (e.g., 5 a.m.), and a few other times. I suspect they will televise the entire series.

Yakushev72 11-06-2012 10:14 AM

Am I missing something? Is there another thread discussing the Subway Series? Good win by Russia last night, 6-2. Its surprising that a preview of Ufa is taking place in the Subway Series, but people seem to have more interest in the unheard of World Junior A Challenge. It was televised live throughout North America.

cagney 11-06-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakushev72 (Post 55560811)
Am I missing something? Is there another thread discussing the Subway Series? Good win by Russia last night, 6-2. Its surprising that a preview of Ufa is taking place in the Subway Series, but people seem to have more interest in the unheard of World Junior A Challenge. It was televised live throughout North America.

The main discussion regarding the SSS is taking place in the thread in the Prospects section of the forum. Plenty of arguing about the usual stuff over there already.

cska78 11-06-2012 10:29 AM

yeah, I wish it got somehow merged.

cska78 11-06-2012 10:32 AM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...271845&page=19


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.