HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Injury Report: Calvin de Haan Out for the Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1274249)

dcv2002 10-22-2012 01:00 PM

Calvin de Haan Out for the Season

https://twitter.com/fornabaioctp/sta...39309188988928

Bunk Moreland 10-22-2012 01:02 PM

That is just awful awful awful news.. This was a huge year for him and now another shoulder injury. Damn...

SouthShore91 10-22-2012 01:12 PM

Just unbelievably bad luck that it's ANOTHER shoulder injury. He looked really good too when I saw BST play in Hartford

CDirt 10-22-2012 01:13 PM

Terrible news for a kid that just can't catch a break. This kids tough climb to the show is looking pretty bleak at this point. Missing so much playing time at a crucial point in his development is really tough to recover from.

CREW99AW 10-22-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDirt (Post 55189655)
Terrible news for a kid that just can't catch a break. This kids tough climb to the show is looking pretty bleak at this point. Missing so much playing time at a crucial point in his development is really tough to recover from.

A summer prospect report, said De Haan was the Sound Tigers best d-man by the end of the 2011-2012 season.

Losing a full yr of development is a big blow.

PWJunior 10-22-2012 01:16 PM

Geez, this kid just cannot catch a break. Terrible, terrible news.

seafoam 10-22-2012 01:19 PM

Absolutely terrible news, I can't consider him a potential prospect anymore. I'll be suprised if he ends up having a NHL career at this point.

Degeneration Rex 10-22-2012 01:19 PM

Terrible,until the injury he looked really good in Bridgeport's first 3 games.

PWJunior 10-22-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafoam (Post 55189791)
Absolutely terrible news, I can't consider him a potential prospect anymore. I'll be suprised if he ends up having a NHL career at this point.

I don't know if this ends his NHL career, it is a major set back though. Best case scenario is that he's physically healthy by the start of next season. From there, he'll need at least half a season at the Bridge to shake off the rust (ala Streit, Okposo) and he might be ready by the start of 2014 (calendar year) to be able to contribute to the big club. He'll probably need the entire year so we're not looking at him until the 2014-2015 season.

The thing for me is that during the 1 1/2 - 2 years that he'll need to get back to 100%, he's going to get passed on the depth chart by several names. Donovan, Ness, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. will all be close to competing (or earned in the case of Donovan and Ness) for a spot on the Isles blue line. He's got a major uphill climb now.

Again, this is terrible news as CDH was looking like he had put everything together this season. I thought he would be a lock to make the Isles next season if the lockout causes a lost season.

Islanderfan17 10-22-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

I agree, repetitive injuries in the same spot is not a good sign :(

This sucks, thought he had a good shot of making the team this year.

KyleBailey12 10-22-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Thought this when I saw the thread title.

NHL Career may not be over, but his potential definitely takes a huge hit in my book.

seafoam 10-22-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 55190179)
I don't know if this ends his NHL career, it is a major set back though. Best case scenario is that he's physically healthy by the start of next season. From there, he'll need at least half a season at the Bridge to shake off the rust (ala Streit, Okposo) and he might be ready by the start of 2014 (calendar year) to be able to contribute to the big club. He'll probably need the entire year so we're not looking at him until the 2014-2015 season.

The thing for me is that during the 1 1/2 - 2 years that he'll need to get back to 100%, he's going to get passed on the depth chart by several names. Donovan, Ness, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. will all be close to competing (or earned in the case of Donovan and Ness) for a spot on the Isles blue line. He's got a major uphill climb now.

Again, this is terrible news as CDH was looking like he had put everything together this season. I thought he would be a lock to make the Isles next season if the lockout causes a lost season.

This was more of the direction I was going in. I should have been more specific, I doubt he'll have a career with the Isles because by the time he is ready to play, if at all, he will be so low on the depth chart.

I can't stress how tough of a loss this is, Cal was clearly (IMO) the most seasoned defenseman we had in the farm and I was fullly expecting him to make transition to the Post-Streit era painless, luckily I think we have a strong stable of defensive prospects.

StrongIslanders90 10-22-2012 01:56 PM

man this really sucks.......kid cant get away from the shoulder problems....I was really looking foward to seeing him potentially turn into a very good offensive dman at the next level....Well atleast we have plenty of d prospects going foward...

Isles Junkie 10-22-2012 01:56 PM

If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

This really sucks. I hope he's able to get his career going again.

Renbarg 10-22-2012 01:57 PM

Shoulders are rough. As De Haan has shown, once you dislocate one once it can happen more and more frequently.

StrongIslanders90 10-22-2012 02:04 PM

we moved alot to target this kid, I hope it works out. some dman taken after CDH

Kulikov
Rundblad
Despres

scott99 10-22-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Agreed, he's gonna need NFL shoulder pads just to play another game. I don't want to dump on the guy, but I hated the pick when we made it, and now, unfortunately, I don't think he will ever be a servicable NHL defenseman. I wanted Kulikov, and it made sense when we traded up, I was shocked when they called De Haan's name. I can't see how he'll ever make a full season in ANY league, seems like his shoulders are like egg shells. Truly is a shame, was hoping to see him on the Isles this season (if there is a season).

Kevin27nyi 10-22-2012 02:08 PM

Damn..Sign Kichton then, bring him up.

SthlmNYI 10-22-2012 02:27 PM

That sucks.. Was really looking forward to see what Calvin could do at the NHL level this year (if there is any).

Get well Calvin!

Riddick 10-22-2012 02:46 PM

That's just horrible. Kids needs to get something specially made for his shoulders.. Three times...that can't be good.

IslandersFan17 10-22-2012 03:37 PM

Sad thing is, this will always haunt the kid and honestly I would be surprised if CDH ever amounts to an NHLer.

I am a huge CDH fan too that is the thing, but when you have a shoulder injury they tend to be chronic because the shoulder is not a true ball and socket joint. The area, once injured tends to be worse than any other injured body part.

SLAPSHOT723 10-22-2012 03:41 PM

I was looking forward to him playing a whole AHL season. This is really not good.

Mr Wentworth 10-22-2012 03:46 PM

Calvin DiPietro

Backhand of Justice 10-22-2012 03:48 PM

That's horrible man. I was expecting big things for him.

thedonger 10-22-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 55194089)
Calvin DiPietro

I'm thinking more along the lines of Martinek. A lot of potential upside early in his career stagnated by many injuries.