HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Can Schwartz beat out Dags for a roster spot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1274947)

Clay Squares 10-23-2012 09:49 PM

Can Schwartz beat out Dags for a roster spot
 
Pretty simple, can Jaden beat out Dags for a spot or is he destined to stay in the AHL this year?

bleedblue1223 10-23-2012 09:54 PM

He will definitely be given the opportunity, but the only way he wins a spot now is if he lights the AHL on fire. With no real training camp, he will be at a disadvantage, but if he shows that he is too good for Peoria, then I think he'll get a call up.

As of right now, I don't expect Schwartz to start with the Blues, but I think he will get called up later.

frostyflo 10-24-2012 12:51 AM

Sure he can.

But I agree with bleedblue, right now its Dags spot and this year Schwartz will get his chances as a Call-up

PocketNines 10-24-2012 12:59 AM

Schwartz could see plenty of time if even one top 9 forward gets hurt.

PaperworkNinja 10-24-2012 01:25 AM

If he keeps playing like he did Friday he'll be taking someone's spot soon.

PierreMcGuire* 10-24-2012 03:32 AM

Absolutely.

CarvinSigX 10-24-2012 04:47 AM

He could, but I don't think he will unless there's an injury or a trade. Let him gain experience, as well as confidence before he comes back up...Then let him run wild.

Dolph Ziggler 10-24-2012 08:12 AM

To start the season, I'm going to say no unless there is an injury.

STL fan in IA 10-24-2012 09:05 AM

Schwartz beat out D'ags? I doubt it. Where would they put D'ags? I just think that Schwartz would have to be absolutely phenomenal for the Blues to sit a healthy D'ags...or any other member of their top-9 for that matter. That doesn't mean that Schwartz is destined to spend the entire season in Peoria though. It's an impossibility that all 9 of the top-9 will stay healthy all season so I think Schwartz will spend a lot if not most of his time with the Blues anyway. Of course, all of what I just wrote is contingent upon there actually being a season. :)

Bruv 10-24-2012 10:08 AM

I hope he can.

bluemandan 10-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL fan in IA (Post 55239413)
Schwartz beat out D'ags? I doubt it. Where would they put D'ags? I just think that Schwartz would have to be absolutely phenomenal for the Blues to sit a healthy D'ags...or any other member of their top-9 for that matter. That doesn't mean that Schwartz is destined to spend the entire season in Peoria though. It's an impossibility that all 9 of the top-9 will stay healthy all season so I think Schwartz will spend a lot if not most of his time with the Blues anyway. Of course, all of what I just wrote is contingent upon there actually being a season. :)

It will be nice to have a player of Schwartz's caliber as a call up. We sure have come a long way since Checketts took over coming out of the last lock-out.

TK 421 10-24-2012 12:10 PM

The real question is will Armstrong move D'Agostini prior to the start of the season. If he doesn't move him then it doesn't matter if Schwartz outplays him, he's stuck in Peoria until an injury with his 2 way contract.

Clay Squares 10-24-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 55232653)
He will definitely be given the opportunity, but the only way he wins a spot now is if he lights the AHL on fire. With no real training camp, he will be at a disadvantage, but if he shows that he is too good for Peoria, then I think he'll get a call up.

As of right now, I don't expect Schwartz to start with the Blues, but I think he will get called up later.

Good point about not have a "real" training camp with the lockout situation. At the end of last season I assumed he would be no more than an injury callup if someone in the tope 9 went down. But with the reports of him have an excellent offseason in regards to strength training I started to wonder if he could make the big club out right.

I'm starting to hope that he does make the roster and pushes Dags into the 13th forward spot. Dags may have the superior shot, but his playmaking skills are pretty much non existant imo... and obvously that is the area in which Jaden excells.

Clay Squares 10-24-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL fan in IA (Post 55239413)
Schwartz beat out D'ags? I doubt it. Where would they put D'ags? I just think that Schwartz would have to be absolutely phenomenal for the Blues to sit a healthy D'ags...or any other member of their top-9 for that matter. That doesn't mean that Schwartz is destined to spend the entire season in Peoria though. It's an impossibility that all 9 of the top-9 will stay healthy all season so I think Schwartz will spend a lot if not most of his time with the Blues anyway. Of course, all of what I just wrote is contingent upon there actually being a season. :)

Not sure I agree with the Blues not willing to sit a healthy Dags. Didn't he only dress for 3 or 4 playoff games last year and he was perfectly healthy?

Crumblin Erb Brooks 10-24-2012 02:08 PM

IMO, Schwartz still needs to adjust his game to pro hockey in the AHL. Hes obviously the first call up, although I think they wouldnt hesitate moving Sobotka up if someone in the top 9 is injured.

But he would look awful good next to Backes and Oshie. Dags doesnt really fit in there, either. Id probably rather see Stewart on the first line and Dags on the 2nd.

TK 421 10-24-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 55248639)
IMO, Schwartz still needs to adjust his game to pro hockey in the AHL. Hes obviously the first call up, although I think they wouldnt hesitate moving Sobotka up if someone in the top 9 is injured.

But he would look awful good next to Backes and Oshie. Dags doesnt really fit in there, either. Id probably rather see Stewart on the first line and Dags on the 2nd.

Which is what he's doing right now obviously, and it works out really well for Jaden with all this time for Armstrong and Hitch to evaluate him. Much better really because now they'll be more aware of what he's capable of by the time the season starts.

bluesman11 10-24-2012 11:20 PM

I for one hope he stays down there most of the year, and is only brought up if there's an injury. He could use the experince and the team isn't short on talent in the top nine.

I recently have made a new friend that knows him, and the report I was given he needs to do some growing up and he needs to learn to be more humble and how to act like a pro, they were thrown out of a local nightclub because of his behavior. Was told it was pretty embarrassing.

2 Minute Minor 10-25-2012 12:14 AM

If there's a top 9 injury, I think Schwartz is getting called up.

Assuming a fully healthy forward line-up (which is unlikely over the course of the season) I think its in his best interest to start in Peoria. However, I think that Schwartz would be called up late in the season and probably displace a top 9 forward (maybe D'Agostini, but it could be someone else...even Stewart in a disaster repeat of last season) before the playoffs. But far more likely is that the team has lost someone due to injury and Schwartz is part of the solution.

If he's afforded the luxury, starting the season with tons of playing time in Peoria is in his best interest.

PerryTurnbullfan 10-25-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesman11 (Post 55264073)
I for one hope he stays down there most of the year, and is only brought up if there's an injury. He could use the experince and the team isn't short on talent in the top nine.

I recently have made a new friend that knows him, and the report I was given he needs to do some growing up and he needs to learn to be more humble and how to act like a pro, they were thrown out of a local nightclub because of his behavior. Was told it was pretty embarrassing.

I agree. From what I saw last year, I don't think Schwartz's game at this point is a significant upgrade over anyone in the line up. He would be better served being "the man" for Peoria for a year or maybe more if necessary and work on rounding out the rest of his game. Hitchcock expects a well rounded forward in his system.

Prussian_Blue 10-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 55237613)
He could, but I don't think he will unless there's an injury or a trade. Let him gain experience, as well as confidence before he comes back up...Then let him run wild.

^^ This ^^

TK 421 10-25-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 55266707)
I agree. From what I saw last year, I don't think Schwartz's game at this point is a significant upgrade over anyone in the line up. He would be better served being "the man" for Peoria for a year or maybe more if necessary and work on rounding out the rest of his game. Hitchcock expects a well rounded forward in his system.

Overall he probably isn't. But as a short game PP specialist he absolutely is an upgrade. Minus Arnott(PP specialist) and with Andy McDonald's recent injury history, the Blues could find themselves shorthanded and aimless without this type of player(Langenbrunner is a short game specialist but he's more insurance than primary). I don't really want to watch a crap PP again, do you? No snark intended here, but the PP was awful too much of last season and I'm worried we could see that again. Given how mercurial PP's tend to be in general, this could end up being a non-issue. However that 2nd PP unit would be lots better in general with Schwartz given that the small handfull of guys better are already on the 1st unit.

The upgrade he represents is being able to read the play and make a pass at a speed only a couple of current projected roster players can. Most of the time this role is executed by a veteran who has learned to be money on the PP over the course of several professional seasons, but Schwartz has "it" when it comes to reads combined with the hands to execute on said reads. He represents a significant upgrade to the 2nd PP IMO. But this is probably the only upgrade with him being realtively slow, relatively small and still needing to show his conditioning can handle a full time role.

PerryTurnbullfan 10-25-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK 421 (Post 55270349)
Overall he probably isn't. But as a short game PP specialist he absolutely is an upgrade. Minus Arnott(PP specialist) and with Andy McDonald's recent injury history, the Blues could find themselves shorthanded and aimless without this type of player(Langenbrunner is a short game specialist but he's more insurance than primary). I don't really want to watch a crap PP again, do you? No snark intended here, but the PP was awful too much of last season and I'm worried we could see that again. Given how mercurial PP's tend to be in general, this could end up being a non-issue. However that 2nd PP unit would be lots better in general with Schwartz given that the small handfull of guys better are already on the 1st unit.

The upgrade he represents is being able to read the play and make a pass at a speed only a couple of current projected roster players can. Most of the time this role is executed by a veteran who has learned to be money on the PP over the course of several professional seasons, but Schwartz has "it" when it comes to reads combined with the hands to execute on said reads. He represents a significant upgrade to the 2nd PP IMO. But this is probably the only upgrade with him being realtively slow, relatively small and still needing to show his conditioning can handle a full time role.

I don't think we are going to have a choice, but for him to develop at the AHL level. I would definitely like to see him dominate game in and game out consistently before I bring him up. So far, I have only heard of one dominant game and nothing great about the Rivs power play. No need to rush him with the contracts and players in place.

Chojin 10-25-2012 12:12 PM

With all the injuries to Peoria's forwards, they've been dressing seven defensemen and double shifting Schwartz like crazy. I say let him soak up that experience as much as possible before getting brought up.

stlweir 10-25-2012 01:48 PM

We should all be enjoying the NHL/Blues right now. I was really looking forward to this season.

CarvinSigX 10-25-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 55270153)
^^ This ^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident in him...Probably too much in all honesty, but I still think Army will do what's best and not throw him directly in the fire because let's face it, we're past that stage...Even if I am over-anxious and want to see him now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.