HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275037)

Riddum 10-24-2012 07:19 AM

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Ovechkin: 13GP 6G 8A 14PTS (On 1 of the best teams in the league)
Malkin: 13GP 5G 12A 17PTS (On a bubble Team)
Kovy: 11GP 7G 13A 20PTS +12
Radulov: 19Gp 8G 16A 24PTS

I'm not saying that Ovi sucks, I'm just saying that he's clearly a shadow of his former self. Prime Ovi would have about 11 goals right now.

Nick0930 10-24-2012 07:21 AM

Kovy is still in his too.

Razor29 10-24-2012 07:24 AM

Hey did you hear about how RNH and Eberle have like 2 points combined in 5 games or something in the AHL!?

Oh man, everyone sucks now.

Pi 10-24-2012 07:26 AM

Don't think I've watched a KHL game once this year but points are definitely not everything. Radulov has 24 points and yet he's the worst guy of those 4 in the NHL.

It's a lot to do with comfortability too. I definitely think the days of seeing Ovie scoring 50+ goals and assists and winning hardware are over though. It's sad but I remember the efforts of Washington's 3rd and 4th line in the playoffs before I remember anything Ovie did.

He's one of my favorite players and I really hope he gets back to being Ovechkin..because that makes the league a lot more exciting.

Too many good up and coming players to go along with guys like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos etc make it difficult, in the end if he can become a consistent 90 point player, it would be good for him in the NHL.

impeach estaalo 10-24-2012 07:29 AM

No. It's a small sample size in a different league with a very different style of play.

Jakub Petruzalek (career high 54 points in the AHL) has been a PPG player in the KHL the last two seasons...does that mean he's as good as Ovechkin?

Riddum 10-24-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landeskogien (Post 55238263)
Hey did you hear about how RNH and Eberle have like 2 points combined in 5 games or something in the AHL!?

Oh man, everyone sucks now.

Not sure is serious. Nuge has 5 pts by himself.

octopi 10-24-2012 07:37 AM

Not yet. Hey look, is that Radulov way ahead of everyone, even Malkin? Should we start "admitting" he's the best player in the world?
Okay, Radulov has more games than everyone. But Kovalchuk practically has 2 points a game! Behold, your new god!

also,does the KHL give second assists? I heard they don't.

Riddum 10-24-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu (Post 55238289)
No. It's a small sample size in a different league with a very different style of play.

Jakub Petruzalek (career high 54 points in the AHL) has been a PPG player in the KHL the last two seasons...does that mean he's as good as Ovechkin?

I'm comparing Current Ovi to Prime Ovi, as well as other guys who haven't proven to being on his elite level over a long period (+Radulov, as he has played in both leagues).

Riddum 10-24-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 55238353)
Not yet. Hey look, is that Radulov way ahead of everyone, even Malkin? Should we start "admitting" he's the best player in the world?

also,does the KHL give second assists? I heard they don't.

Radulov has played 8 more games than Kovalchuk, if anything Kovalchuk is the best player in the world right now.

I hear they do give secondary assists, however, they don't give them away that easily. (as easily as the NHL)

Fire Dumboer 10-24-2012 07:41 AM

Nhl come back! Kovalchuk is playing absolutely amazing I need him back in a Devils jersey

Go Habs Go 10-24-2012 07:45 AM

Ovechkin is no longer the phenom people thought he was when he first came into the NHL.

I remember reading a Hal Gill interview where he says its so much harder to cover a player like Crosby then Ovi because Ovi is extremely predictable. He's so skilled that even though he's predictable, he still racks up the points but he is stoppable. On the other hand, players like Crosby and Malkin are so much more diverse that they present a much more difficult challenge then Ovi.

fedfed 10-24-2012 07:53 AM

Ovi plays on a team with a very tough squad rotation and trademark defensive style of play. Of the four, he has least TOI (Radu 1st among forwards, Malkin 2nd, Kovy 32nd, Ovi 44th). And another factor is that of Radu/Ovi/Kovy, Ovechkin has played (pre-Backstrom) with the worst center (Pestunov/Gorovikov). Radulov had Datsyuk and Grabovski. Kovy had Tikhonov/Thoresen.
And Metallurg is a bubble team only because of a very slow start. They always begin that way.

pdd 10-24-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Habs Go (Post 55238413)
Ovechkin is no longer the phenom people thought he was when he first came into the NHL.

I remember reading a Hal Gill interview where he says its so much harder to cover a player like Crosby then Ovi because Ovi is extremely predictable. He's so skilled that even though he's predictable, he still racks up the points but he is stoppable. On the other hand, players like Crosby and Malkin are so much more diverse that they present a much more difficult challenge then Ovi.

Frankie Spankie 10-24-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu (Post 55238289)

This - When a player like Kevin Dallman can barely hold onto a #7 defenseman roster spot in the NHL and became a PPG defenseman in the KHL, it proves that the leagues do not translate well.

BobDobolina 10-24-2012 07:57 AM

Malkin had 13 in 12 before the their last game. And Magnitogorsk is not a bubble team.

Help 10-24-2012 07:59 AM

I don't think that anyone would argue that Ovi isn't past his prime.Pure goal-scorers like Ovi tend to peak around 23, and I believe he's 26 now. Doesn't change the fact that he's still very good at what he does, but his best work is behind him

worraps 10-24-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum (Post 55238313)
Not sure is serious. Nuge has 5 pts by himself.

To be fair to the person you're quoting he scored 3 of those points last night so he might not be up-to-date.

robdicks 10-24-2012 08:27 AM

past his prime? haha what? I dislike Ovechkin as much as the next guy but he just turned 27.

He seems to have lost a passion for the game that he once had, but a 40 game stretch will change opinions around here

robdicks 10-24-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum (Post 55238355)
I'm comparing Current Ovi to Prime Ovi, as well as other guys who haven't proven to being on his elite level over a long period (+Radulov, as he has played in both leagues).

Are we really saying 27 year olds are past their prime now? really? this bored is messed.

robdicks 10-24-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez (Post 55238573)
I don't think that anyone would argue that Ovi isn't past his prime.Pure goal-scorers like Ovi tend to peak around 23, and I believe he's 26 now. Doesn't change the fact that he's still very good at what he does, but his best work is behind him

is this a joke?

please tell me this is a joke.

LSnow 10-24-2012 08:32 AM

Before last game Malkin had allmost identical production, so does Ovechkin only need one 3 point game and he suddenly is lighting it up instead of being past his prime? Or is Malkin past his prime also.

robdicks 10-24-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 55238511)

Help 10-24-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdicks (Post 55238903)
is this a joke?

please tell me this is a joke.

It's not a joke. I just can't picture Ovi posting a 65 goal season again. I also don't picture him posting back to back 50 goal seasons again. Sure, some of that is due to reduced scoring league-wide, but some of it is also do to the fact that he has peaked and is now not producing as much as he was when he was 22-23.

Let's not label me as some sort of hater, I love Ovi, and I still think he's an excellent player and would be the go-to guy on the vast majority of NHL teams. I just think that his best work is behind him

mapes 10-24-2012 08:38 AM

So Malkin is almost washed up too right?

Help 10-24-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapes (Post 55238987)
So Malkin is almost washed up too right?

In terms of goal-scoring? Yeah, probably. Malkin is a much better playmaker than Ovi is so he can rely on that, if need be