HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: Islanders are Moving to Brooklyn in 2015 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275055)

Shaun 10-24-2012 09:15 AM

Islanders are Moving to Brooklyn in 2015

New York Islanders & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement

WHAT: Press Conference

WHO: New York Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark

WHERE: Barclays Center
620 Atlantic Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Media to enter main entrance.

WHEN: TODAY, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 1 p.m.

Located atop one of the largest transportation hubs in New York City, Barclays Center is accessible by 11 subway lines, the Long Island Rail Road, and 11 bus lines.

Rubber Biscuit 10-24-2012 09:20 AM

I hope not.

Hnidy Hnight 10-24-2012 09:24 AM

I bet they're announcing they're hosting an upcoming draft. I don't think they can break lease until 2015

SpokedLightning 10-24-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight (Post 55239753)
I bet they're announcing they're hosting an upcoming draft. I don't think they can break lease until 2015

So just in time for the NHL to start playing again. :)

Shaun 10-24-2012 09:39 AM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
New York Islanders will indeed be moving to Brooklyn, NY, upon expiry of lease on Long Island.

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Source tells @SBJSBD about today's press conference - "#Isles set to play in Brooklyn in 2015."

DoubleAAAA 10-24-2012 09:43 AM

Interesting ... hopefully it helps out the team, would be great to see that franchise healthy. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case until Wang is out of the picture.

CDJ* 10-24-2012 09:49 AM

They need to get out of Nassau

Kate08 10-24-2012 09:59 AM

I'm excited. Have friends in Brooklyn and we've gone and stayed with them for B's/Rangers games. Now we can add Islanders to the options.

DoubleAAAA 10-24-2012 10:02 AM

Looks like a nice arena. Capacity is really low at 14,500 but that might make for better atmosphere. Can't be worse than Nassau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Center

mikelvl 10-24-2012 10:08 AM

Can't blame Wang for doing this. The battle with Town of Hempstead and Nassau County went on for far too long. And it's better than worse case, and they ended up moving to Seattle in a few years.

That being said, they do need a new owner. The Nassau Coliseum didn't sign a broken down goalie to a 14 year contract, didn't let Mad Mike Milbury run the franchise into the ground to a point where they still haven't recovered, and didn't hire another old goalie with no managment experience to be the GM. But Charlie Wang did.

This may provide a clearer view to what the long term plans of the NHL are, carry Phoenix on life support until Seattle is ready. Then charge Quebec City and Markham, Ontario exorbitant fees to expand the league to 32 teams.

HooperDrivesTheBoat 10-24-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate08 (Post 55240669)
I'm excited. Have friends in Brooklyn and we've gone and stayed with them for B's/Rangers games. Now we can add Islanders to the options.

Yeah, I don't know the semantics behind the deal, but Brooklyn is a great place to live and visit. No more excuses from the organization that players avoid the Islanders because of the Coliseum. This is pretty cool news.

I'm excited for the Islanders, their fans and hockey.:handclap:

BMC 10-24-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA (Post 55240203)
Interesting ... hopefully it helps out the team, would be great to see that franchise healthy. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case until Wang is out of the picture.

What he/she said ^

It is too bad though. Islanders had a great history in Nassau Coliseum- 4 Cups in a row :amazed:

Morris Wanchuk 10-24-2012 10:35 AM

Smart move.. stabilizes a once proud franchise.

Bill Ladd 10-24-2012 10:36 AM

Good for the Isles. New buildings usually mean more money, and they're only about 40 minutes from where they were (and they're still on the island), so it's not like they moved to New Jersey or anything.

#ugliestjerseyintheNHLtho.

stick9 10-24-2012 10:39 AM

Good move for the Isles and more importantly, it's the smart move.

DoubleAAAA 10-24-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 55241853)
Good for the Isles. New buildings usually mean more money, and they're only about 40 minutes from where they were (and they're still on the island), so it's not like they moved to New Jersey or anything.

#ugliestjerseyintheNHLtho.

Those alternates :confused:

They should just use retro's all the time ... classic Isles Jersey's are nice.

Kate08 10-24-2012 10:58 AM

Oh that crazy Roberto Luongo....

Quote:

Strombone‏@strombone1

Curious to know what the lease would cost to relocate Gary to Siberia?

BruinsFan64 10-24-2012 11:02 AM

Will there be a team name change?

The "Brooklyn Islanders" does not sound right, since they will no longer be on Long Island.

Dogberry 10-24-2012 11:05 AM

Great news for the Isles. I remember growing up on LI during their heyday... finally some steps in the right direction for them. Nassau Coliseum has been such a sadsack dump of a building for decades now. The WHL teams here play in much, much nicer (if smaller) barns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 (Post 55242533)

The "Brooklyn Islanders" does not sound right, since they will no longer be on Long Island.

Brooklyn is on Long Island, at least geographically speaking.

SpokedLightning 10-24-2012 11:11 AM

No name change from info on the Isles board.

DoubleAAAA 10-24-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 (Post 55242533)

Actually Brooklyn is on Long Island, as is Uniondale, so no need for a name change.

Terrier 10-24-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate08 (Post 55240669)

Something had to give with the old building(I believe it was recently flagged for some code violations). At least the team will stay in the area, and, adding to your point, there are probably a lot of Isles fans who work in New York and won't mind the short hop to a game and a ride home on the LIRR afterwards. Same goes for visiting fans who won't have to trek out to the Mausoleum.

JMiller 10-24-2012 11:22 AM

Great news for the Islanders- they could certainly use some. They will certainly draw more fans from the city than they did in that wasteland.

Will this effect the Devils?

mikelvl 10-24-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMiller (Post 55243101)
Great news for the Islanders- they could certainly use some. They will certainly draw more fans from the city than they did in that wasteland.

Will this effect the Devils?

Meh, the Devils play in a half empty arena now, that won't change. Moving to Newark killed the Devils.

Shaun 10-24-2012 11:51 AM

I propose they change the team name to the Brooklyn Deckers :naughty: