HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Fights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Is Georges Laraque the greatest fighter of all time (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275199)

CBJ All The Way 10-24-2012 03:51 PM

Is Georges Laraque the greatest fighter of all time
 

moog35 10-24-2012 04:03 PM

No.....

CBJ All The Way 10-24-2012 04:26 PM

Than who is Ive never seen him lose

Analyzer 10-24-2012 04:38 PM

It's hard to have him go toe-to-toe with people who are dead, or 85...

He's a great fighter until he reached Montreal in the 2nd year where he decided to become a pacifist-less.

He's definitely tops, but it's hard to say who's the best in this category imo.

Bruise Bros 2426 10-24-2012 04:49 PM

Not close. He was a heavyweight, no doubt, but he conveniently just wrestled down his opponents when a fight started to go against him.

CBJ All The Way 10-24-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 (Post 55253331)
Not close. He was a heavyweight, no doubt, but he conveniently just wrestled down his opponents when a fight started to go against him.

I can see what your saying ive defiantly seen him do that a few times

Bruise Bros 2426 10-24-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way (Post 55253569)
I can see what your saying ive defiantly seen him do that a few times

Yeah, I mean he was a pretty damn strong guy. He was a feared and respected enforcer, but he was a cheap fighter.

Analyzer 10-24-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 (Post 55253771)
Yeah, I mean he was a pretty damn strong guy. He was a feared and respected enforcer, but he was a cheap fighter.

That was near the end of it. When he first started in Edmonton he'd wail away on people. Then he became a bit of a pansy and was nice and didn't want to hurt anyone.

Adam Spylo 10-24-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way (Post 55252837)
Than who is Ive never seen him lose

Bob Probert

CBJ All The Way 10-24-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Spylo (Post 55254807)
Bob Probert

Post a vid

eyeball11 10-24-2012 07:43 PM

He didn't even fight much and actually didn't like it. I remember Hab fans ridiculing me when I told them they weren't getting what they thought when they signed him. they all figured "the whole team would grow 6 inches" just due to his presence. Eventually, they found out.

Ohashi_Jouzu 10-24-2012 07:55 PM

I'd have to say: god no.

Probert, Nilan (his nickname is Knuckles, for god's sake), Grimson, Peluso, etc are just some examples of fighters from a relatively brief period of "all time" that I would rank above Laraque. It's easy enough to add to the list by expanding the included years to just 10 years in both directions, imo, let alone continue beyond that (at some point we get to include Scott, Boogaard, etc). Heck, I might even consider Lindros to be a better fighter, lol.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 10-24-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way (Post 55255209)
Post a vid

You're joking right? You've never seen footage of a Probert fight?

canucksfan 10-24-2012 10:52 PM

I would say Probert for sure. He would wail on people and fight anyone. Wasn't a cheap fighter.

CBJ All The Way 10-25-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan (Post 55262747)
You're joking right? You've never seen footage of a Probert fight?

Post a vid I gotta see this guy

jacklours 10-25-2012 07:17 AM

Here it is

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bob+Propert+video+highlights

mikelvl 10-25-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way (Post 55267093)
Post a vid I gotta see this guy

:amazed:
Have you ever heard of Youtube? hockeyfights.com??

George Laraque isn't even in the top 25.

After Probert, go see a Joey Kocur fight, Tie Domi, Stan Jonathan, Dave The Hammer Schultz.

legendinblue 10-25-2012 09:11 AM

No, he's not in my top 5.

macleod50 10-25-2012 09:20 AM

No.

Bob Probert, Dave Brown, Chris Nilan, Joey Kocur, etc I could go on.

Post a video of Probert? Are you that lazy? Go type his name into YouTube.

Montreal Shadow 10-25-2012 10:09 AM

Georges Laraque might be the best in the sense that, if there was a tournament with all the best fighters, he'd have a shot at winning it. He definitely wasn't the greatest though.

Prussian_Blue 10-25-2012 10:22 AM

Bob Gassoff.

/thread

worraps 10-25-2012 10:38 AM

In the sense that I think Georges could ragdoll guys like Probert and Kocur ... the argument could be made.

The problem with Georges was that he wouldn't engage with someone that wasn't very willing to go and as such he was never a very effective enforcer.

TieClark 10-25-2012 11:29 AM

Wendel Clark even

newfy 10-25-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worraps (Post 55270397)
In the sense that I think Georges could ragdoll guys like Probert and Kocur ... the argument could be made.

The problem with Georges was that he wouldn't engage with someone that wasn't very willing to go and as such he was never a very effective enforcer.

Doubt it, Probert and Kocur played in the era of hockey that was hardest on enforcers. Every team had them and there wasnt as many rules policing it so you always had to step up. Kocur would put a couple on Laraques chin and Laraque would be in la la land. Its hard to compare eras, Gordie Howe obviously wouldnt be able to take Laraque but hockey was different then and Gordie dominated fights in a similar way.

However, guys like Probert, Kocur, Dave Brown can be easily compared to him and have much more impressive resumes in my opinion. They also didnt have the pansy attitude Laraque had. Those guys were crazy and loved to fight. An old washed up Chicago Probert hung in there with Laraque in his Edmonton days when Larague was absolutely killing everyone

The few times Probie lost or even had a close figt he would come back and absolutely wallop the guy



Then you had Kocur doing this to people


BlackNgold 84 10-25-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfy (Post 55271649)
Doubt it, Probert and Kocur played in the era of hockey that was hardest on enforcers. Every team had them and there wasnt as many rules policing it so you always had to step up. Kocur would put a couple on Laraques chin and Laraque would be in la la land. Its hard to compare eras, Gordie Howe obviously wouldnt be able to take Laraque but hockey was different then and Gordie dominated fights in a similar way.

However, guys like Probert, Kocur, Dave Brown can be easily compared to him and have much more impressive resumes in my opinion. They also didnt have the pansy attitude Laraque had. Those guys were crazy and loved to fight. An old washed up Chicago Probert hung in there with Laraque in his Edmonton days when Larague was absolutely killing everyone

The few times Probie lost or even had a close figt he would come back and absolutely wallop the guy



Then you had Kocur doing this to people


Was kordic or kocur the one who did steroids? or was it neither of them? i always forget.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.