HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: The inevitable question: Now that the Islanders have an arena.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275235)

M Moulson Ale 10-24-2012 05:27 PM

The inevitable question: Now that the Islanders have an arena....

....will they be a team that attracts free agents?
And even more in depth, will free agents come in the next two offseasons or wait until the offseason before the move (2015-2016)?

Discuss....

This 10-24-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan (Post 55254319)
And even more in depth, will free agents come in the next two offseasons or wait until the offseason before the move (2015-2016)?

Discuss....

I don't think the arena would ever be part of the reason for not coming. It seems like something you would add in after the decision "oh I guess their arena isn't that great either"

The competitiveness of the team is the biggest factor.

Leafs For Life* 10-24-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan (Post 55254319)

Discuss....

It doesn't matter about their arena, or else Leafs would have gotten a helluva lot of top FAs.

TurdFerguson 10-24-2012 05:35 PM

It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing. Hopefully the arena attracts fans, and then endorsements come along, and then players come along for the money. Either way, you gotta like their chances better at this new arena.

Mystifo 10-24-2012 05:44 PM

Well there is an old saying. "If you build it they will come." So who knows maybe it will.

M Moulson Ale 10-24-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This (Post 55254405)
I don't think the arena would ever be part of the reason for not coming. It seems like something you would add in after the decision "oh I guess their arena isn't that great either"

The competitiveness of the team is the biggest factor.

Well reportedly, the Isles offered Paul Martin and Dan Humhuis a huge amount of money but both them declinded due to the arena and its future. The arena was always the biggest concern.
You need to get key players to help the young guys out. The younger players need to build around someone(s).

Scurr 10-24-2012 05:56 PM

The building helps but if the Islanders want to become an attractive destination, they need to win and start running that team in a more professional manner.

patrick 10-24-2012 06:29 PM

It can only help.

And offering a top line winger the opportunity to flank Tavares in a brand new state of the art arena will also help. Great day for the Isles fans. A bit bittersweet as I love the old barn and the best sightlines in the league. But I'd rather take the train to see a team that can compete in Brooklyn than drive to a loss and a drippy ceiling in the NVMC.

Prairie Habs 10-24-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan (Post 55255041)
Well reportedly, the Isles offered Paul Martin and Dan Humhuis a huge amount of money but both them declinded due to the arena and its future. The arena was always the biggest concern.
You need to get key players to help the young guys out. The younger players need to build around someone(s).

They may have just been polite. You may not have noticed but both of them ended up signing with contenders so they may have been thinking more about winning.

PWJunior 10-24-2012 07:08 PM

If the Isles want to attract UFA's, they need to start winning - plain and simple. That will solve that problem. The arena just eliminates a possible excuse.

OneMoreAstronaut 10-24-2012 07:11 PM

I'm sure the free agents are just lining up to get paid minimum wage.

In all seriousness though, I'd think the question would sooner be "Will Wang spend above the cap floor with an arena?"

No Need To Vanek 10-24-2012 07:17 PM

I think we will have Tavares play the role of Deron Williams ala the Nets, being the recruiter.

eastonhockey22* 10-24-2012 07:37 PM

If I was a young, ultra rich, super successful athlete i'd much rather live in brooklyn/manhattan/queens than Nassau. Just my opinion haha.

candyman82 10-24-2012 07:46 PM

If a great arena attracted free agents, the Blue Jackets would be in great shape.

BonkTastic 10-24-2012 08:07 PM

I'm not sure how much having a NEW arena will help the Isles recruit players, but I can guarantee that being in Brooklyn will most definitely help in that regards. Nassau isn't exactly big-city-bright-lights.

Being located in Brooklyn will be the big plus for the Isles to use as a recruiting tool: they're out of deep suburbia and into the heart of NYC. For any player who loves the nightlife & amenities that one of the most exciting cities in the world can offer, the Isles just IMMEDIATELY became a very tantalizing destination. The arena is secondary, IMO. The LOCATION is massive.

Devilsfan92 10-24-2012 08:07 PM

You know what helps to attract free agents? Winning.

Also money..

JHabs61 10-24-2012 09:16 PM

What do you mean?

They signed big name UFA Brad Boyes, and Marty Reasoner the year before.

Habitant le colon 10-24-2012 09:58 PM

Now you can have Subban !!!:sarcasm:

Actually Isle desrve a better fate and a winning team I do think that this center will help largely this team to be well mediated and become a good attraction for players but I wonder how long this would last !

SLAPSHOT723 10-24-2012 10:09 PM

We're not going to see anything until 2015, when the team is hopefully sold to Ratner/Prokhorov.

Bryzard of Oz 10-24-2012 11:03 PM

While the location might attract a few, the biggest thing is obviously icing a competitive team. Stability helps as well. In the past few years there we nothing but questions surrounding the team. Would they get a new arena, would they move? With those cleared up, the team immediately become more attractive

PROMputt 10-24-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakawaka (Post 55257541)
If I was a young, ultra rich, super successful athlete i'd much rather live in brooklyn/manhattan/queens than Nassau. Just my opinion haha.

you have apparently never been to the north shore of Nassau, LI. Absolutely beautiful homes and area.

The arena will hopefully bring in more customers will will hopefully bring in more money which will hopefully be spent on a better team.

GSG1165 10-24-2012 11:11 PM

I think it helps a lot. Look, it might even have an advantage over the Rangers regarding those sought-after 2nd to 3rd line guys.

An example, Chris Neil. I recall hearing (from Neil or his agent, IIRC), that he was offered a 4 year, $9.2m deal from the Rangers in 2009 as a UFA. That's barely enough to live on in Manhatten! But Brooklyn... (He signed for $8m in Ottawa).

Crede777 10-25-2012 12:31 AM

First, the free agent market isn't what it used to be.

Second, I will readily admit that I don't know much about the Islanders right now. My impression was that Wang was the problem with signing free agents, not the arena.

Numbers 10-25-2012 01:33 AM

I for one am thrilled to hear the news, and no I am not an Islanders fan by any means. Whenever good news appearss for a struggling franchise it is good news for the NHL as a whole. Congrats to the team and fans! Though I know some will be disappointed because they need to travel farther, but I really think down the road this is going to make them a much better franchise.

The Zetterberg Era 10-25-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakawaka (Post 55257541)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonkTastic (Post 55258475)
I'm not sure how much having a NEW arena will help the Isles recruit players, but I can guarantee that being in Brooklyn will most definitely help in that regards. Nassau isn't exactly big-city-bright-lights.

Being located in Brooklyn will be the big plus for the Isles to use as a recruiting tool: they're out of deep suburbia and into the heart of NYC. For any player who loves the nightlife & amenities that one of the most exciting cities in the world can offer, the Isles just IMMEDIATELY became a very tantalizing destination. The arena is secondary, IMO. The LOCATION is massive.

Just curious, but what makes you think the Players that want that already don't live downtown and take the train out to Long Island to begin with?

Sure they will be closer, but it isn't like they could not have already been living outside of right next to the arena. Most of the Wings live upwards of at least 20 to 30 minutes commute from the Joe Louis.