HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Brooklyn Themed Secondary Logo / Third Jersey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275415)

KevFu 10-25-2012 12:27 AM

Brooklyn Themed Secondary Logo / Third Jersey

Let the speculation begin!

I'm assuming Home/Road would be the same jerseys as now, but adding a secondary logo to the shoulders.

Here's what I came up with screwing around in photoshop for a bit.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nIslanders.jpg

Colors could go with the classic royal and orange, or the deeper blue from the Peca/Yashin era, which is closer to "Dodger Blue"

OlTimeHockey 10-25-2012 12:44 AM

If you've alienated a vast population of fans by moving, would it be wise to make a third jersey or even use the existing one or would you strictly amp up every ounce of tradition to retain as many paying customers as possible?

Sorry if this derails this, goes off topic, or whatever, but I suggest the best logo design is the one the glory years vets angry about today wore. Just my early entry. It might be too soon.

drive45 10-25-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 55265441)
If you've alienated a vast population of fans by moving, would it be wise to make a third jersey or even use the existing one or would you strictly amp up every ounce of tradition to retain as many paying customers as possible?

Sorry if this derails this, goes off topic, or whatever, but I suggest the best logo design is the one the glory years vets angry about today wore. Just my early entry. It might be too soon.

this

LouieNY 10-25-2012 04:09 AM

Horrendous......A radical redesign of the logo would be such a kick in the nuts to us. Dont tamper with it, even in a move. Even if its a 3rd jersey

KevFu 10-25-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

That's an extremely valid point... I was thinking of this from a Wednesday morning perspective, not a Wednesday night:

Think back to Wednesday morning and people's reaction to the news. Paraphrasing it, it went:
1. Is this really happening, or is it a leverage move for show?
2. It's really happening! OH MY GOD WE HAVE A NEW ARENA! WE AREN'T GOING TO LEAVE THE MARKET!
3. (Are they going to be / they better not be) the Brooklyn Islanders ( ? / ! )
4. Is Wang selling / can we move now?
5. Configuration of Barclays

Now we know the team isn't changing logo, colors or uniform; doing so now would be trading Nassau/Suffolk fans for Brooklyn fans.

The goal is to retain add a Brooklyn fan base and hope most in N/S counties are just glad we're not the Seattle Relocatees, and realize it's the county's fault we're 20 miles away because they they had 20 years of chances to keep us.

I'd think the way to go about it would be:
Keep the old fans by retaining the New York Islanders name, color, logo, and primary jerseys and continue to celebrate the tradition and heritage of the franchise on Long Island.
Win new Brooklyn fans by (having the team in Brooklyn and) giving them a small shoutout with a secondary patch and an occasional third jersey.
And of course, marketing to both subsets of fans.

So, yeah, I wouldn't change a damned thing; but I think you need some kind of shoutout to Brooklyn to try and lure some new fans.

Pnut 10-25-2012 04:40 AM

http://www.highsnobiety.com/files/20...s-jersey-3.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1123...ers_cr_576.jpg
We already have a 3rd jersey that looks like a Brooklyn Nets away jersey. Arched team name on both. Numbers of players on front (I believe only the Dallas Stars have that in the NHL). Both black, when supposedly black is being get rid of by other professional teams.

I guess my point is that all they have to do is if they keep the 3rd jersey around in 3 years when they move, they can take the Brooklyn from the nets jersey and move that over to the Islanders 3rd jersey (still keeping the classic other 2 jerseys)

Bexlyspeed 10-25-2012 06:54 AM

whats with us trying to get uniforms like the nets? its a totally different franchise from the islanders.

we have our own identity and colors. we dont need a black uniform, in fact we should scrap theone we have now because its total garbage!

doublechili 10-25-2012 07:15 AM

IMO there will be a B-R-O-O-K-L-Y-N lettered 3rd jersey in the Isles first year at Barclay's. No logo, just lettering. They retained the NY Islanders name, logo and uniform. There will be 3 years for the move to sink in. At that point I think they'll have to throw a bone to Brooklyn and acknowledge that identity as well.

Most importantly though, that BROOKLYN 3rd jersey would sell ($$$) like freakin' hotcakes. It would also lend itself to t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. with the same design, which would be important to have the locals in a boro of 3 million to have the opportunity to wear.

I think it's kind of unrealistic to think they wouldn't immediately cash in on the Brooklyn brand and show at least a p/t identity with the 3 million residents of Brooklyn.

RoseTintedVisor 10-25-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublechili (Post 55267331)
IMO there will be a B-R-O-O-K-L-Y-N lettered 3rd jersey in the Isles first year at Barclay's. No logo, just lettering. They retained the NY Islanders name, logo and uniform. There will be 3 years for the move to sink in. At that point I think they'll have to throw a bone to Brooklyn and acknowledge that identity as well.

Most importantly though, that BROOKLYN 3rd jersey would sell ($$$) like freakin' hotcakes. It would also lend itself to t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. with the same design, which would be important to have the locals in a boro of 3 million to have the opportunity to wear.

I think it's kind of unrealistic to think they wouldn't immediately cash in on the Brooklyn brand and show at least a p/t identity with the 3 million residents of Brooklyn.

Right, exactly.

I'm all for the retention of the logo, the colors, our storied past.

But if you don't think we're going to exploit the fact a jersey with BROOKLYN on it would be a top 5 seller the moment it hit stores, there's a bridge a bit further down Flatbush Avenue I could interest you in...

OlTimeHockey 10-25-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor (Post 55267395)
Right, exactly.

I'm all for the retention of the logo, the colors, our storied past.

But if you don't think we're going to exploit the fact a jersey with BROOKLYN on it would be a top 5 seller the moment it hit stores, there's a bridge a bit further down Flatbush Avenue I could interest you in...

Valid....the Brooklyn logo will sell like hotcakes, but....

I don't care if Wang ever eats again. I don't care about sales now. The team has left us. I guarantee the team will fall flat again due to mismanagement because Wang is not in it for success. The revenue is further limited due to seats, location/sales and interest (save for the new team smell, which will wear off when DP makes his 12th comeback tour and we're dressing AHL'ers).

So same team, same story, same AHL coaching (I predict we will have a solid retread coach temporarily then go back to no one wanting to coach for Wang) and then we make less money than we did last season. We will have revenue sharing, though......so we'll make the cap floor.

So do I care if he changes the logo and jerseys to make money? When we're trying to hang on to what was the New York Islanders and marketing is trying to invent a new franchise identity?

Like I said, I hope Wang goes broke and destitute. So screw the marketing, I'm trying to hold onto 19 straight playoff series wins and the feel of 16,234 people leaving an old barn as Kings and Queens of the world as a feeling, not the feel of Wang making good on this move.

I root for the team I grew up loving. I like their logo. It'll be all that's left in three years.

And KevFu....I think we'll have plenty of merchandise sales for Brooklyn to buy. I hope they are interested in the orange, white and blue we offer now, but the marketers can sell all the Brooklyn Bridge nonsense they can if they want. Maybe some Islander logo Starbucks cups and wool beatnick hats.

Giuseppe Franco 10-25-2012 08:09 AM

I would be shocked if there wasn't a Brooklyn-themed 3rd jersey. It's just Marketing 101 to have something new ready for the move. I for one am looking forward to it - for one thing I can't imagine it'll be any worse than the garbage they're wearing now. I would imagine given the potential for Net-like sales they're going to put a bit more effort into this one. My only hope is that it stays blue, white and orange.

Dan-o16 10-25-2012 08:44 AM

Haha. Who needs a third Jersey? Make the players grow mustaches, and come out for warmups wearing fedoras.

Cheers,

Dan-o

scott99 10-25-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevFu (Post 55265241)

I'm assuming Home/Road would be the same jerseys as now, but adding a secondary logo to the shoulders.

Colors could go with the classic royal and orange, or the deeper blue from the Peca/Yashin era, which is closer to "Dodger Blue"

I actually REALLY like this, this took a lot of work, and some great creativity in the design. If they ever did a third jersey design with a Brooklyn theme, this would be a great choice. Awesome jersey, with the Brooklyn Dodger's Blue. I would buy one for sure. Just love the look. Sorry if I offend any Isle's oldtimers (I'm a fan since 1975), but I really like this.

startainfection 10-25-2012 10:52 AM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28474654_n.jpg

Tavaresfan91 10-25-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

You should tweet this to the New York islanders lol no joke

Isles Junkie 10-25-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

I think if you alienated a large part of your fanbase, then you should do your best to rebrand yourself and appeal to your new potential fanbase. That's actually why I would be in favor of a name & logo change. I'm also fine that they aren't changing it, but I think it makes business sense to do it. NO brooklynite associates themselves with long island.

IslandersFan17 10-25-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

This is actually pretty cool. I like the idea and the concept is awesome. If it somehow has Islanders in it and remove that B on the bridge and you are onto something.

isles31 10-25-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 55270593)
I actually REALLY like this, this took a lot of work, and some great creativity in the design. If they ever did a third jersey design with a Brooklyn theme, this would be a great choice. Awesome jersey, with the Brooklyn Dodger's Blue. I would buy one for sure. Just love the look. Sorry if I offend any Isle's oldtimers (I'm a fan since 1975), but I really like this.

its not awful as a 3rd jersey, or at the very least, a tshirt. BUT, the B on the bridge is too much. looks like its just jammed in there, just bc

Dan-o16 10-25-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles31 (Post 55271029)
its not awful as a 3rd jersey, or at the very least, a tshirt. BUT, the B on the bridge is too much. looks like its just jammed in there, just bc

Completely agree.

Cheers,

Dan-o

scott99 10-25-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles31 (Post 55271029)

The "B" seems to be an homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers. I like it.

nyscene 10-25-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 55271359)
The "B" seems to be an homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers. I like it.

The whole logo is an homage to the dodgers.

http://*******.com/d5pj7qm

http://i49.tinypic.com/10xsnyf.gif

lost35* 10-25-2012 11:55 AM

I am sure somewhere in the next 15-20 years, eventually they will have a new "Brooklyn themed" logo

and the logo we have known since 72 will be relegated to a shoulder patch or a 3rd Jersey

as more Brooklyn/Manhattan/Queens people are attracted to this team, I doubt they will want to wear a Jersey with Long Island on it

They will probably keep the name Islanders, as it can be a reference to Coney Island, and it would be to painful to the history of the franchise to change the name

But if you think they are going to keep the traditional logo we have known for the last 40 years(save for the fisherman years) you are insane

scott99 10-25-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost35 (Post 55271993)
I am sure somewhere in the next 15-20 years, eventually they will have a new "Brooklyn themed" logo

and the logo we have known since 72 will be relegated to a shoulder patch or a 3rd Jersey

as more Brooklyn/Manhattan/Queens people are attracted to this team, I doubt they will want to wear a Jersey with Long Island on it

They will probably keep the name Islanders, as it can be a reference to Coney Island, and it would be to painful to the history of the franchise to change the name

But if you think they are going to keep the traditional logo we have known for the last 40 years(save for the fisherman years) you are insane

I am insane, what's your point ? I agree, as time goes by, I'm sure the Brooklyn word will be used in congruence with the word Islanders. I think it will take at least 10 years or so though.

Mirasty91 10-25-2012 01:03 PM

I would like to see something like the black jersey re-designed as a third. With either Brooklyn, or New York Islanders written in script across the front in maybe orange lettering? I've always just wanted to have that script logo they use sometimes on a jersey.

KyleBailey12 10-25-2012 01:22 PM

Just wanted to say that the OP's concept is really awesome. Great job.