HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I apparently suck at finding information about equipment (need new skates) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275489)

Cursed Lemon 10-25-2012 10:20 AM

I apparently suck at finding information about equipment (need new skates)

So, I'm in the market for some new skates. I'm currently running on some 8-year-old CCM Vector Pros (<3 <3 <3 <3 these skates), and the rivets are coming out of the bottom. The cost of getting all the rivets replaced at this point is more than the skates are worth, so I figure it's time to go in for a new pair.

I've been trying to find some detailed information on the skates available from Bauer, Easton, CCM, Graf, etc. but I think I'm just fairly inept at finding these things out, or I don't know where to look for that information. For instance, I want to know what the weight of my Vector Pros are, so that I can compare it to prospective skates that I want to look at (mostly as a reference, since I'm curious how much skates have actually improved since I was in high school).

I'm looking to spend right around 300$, does anyone have any recommendations for skates in that range that they've found to be really reliable?

Dean92 10-25-2012 10:41 AM

I would recommend watching some reviews on Youtube to help you decide. Ice Hockey Warehouse reviews every new product. I know two players who recently bought the new Bauer Supreme One60s and likes it.

Jarick 10-25-2012 10:43 AM

Check that skate thread up top, hopefully AIR pops in, he knows his stuff.

Basically fit is the #1, #2, #3, #4, #7, and #10 on the top 10 most important things list. Somewhere in there is stiffness, weight, quality, and price.

$300 is the sweet spot for quality meeting price. From there it's finding the brand and model that fits your feet.

I gave up light weight skates (Vapor) that didn't fit me for heavy skates (Graf) that did and skating improved quite a bit.

Cursed Lemon 10-25-2012 10:49 AM

I've always had trouble fitting into Bauer skates as they've typically had narrower boots and my feet are really wide, I've worn CCM skates for pretty much my entire life, so a U+ pair would probably do it for me in terms of fit, but I'm really interested in Graf skates since I hear so much good about them.

Jarick 10-25-2012 11:02 AM

I would guess the same thing about the U+ and have heard good things. Grafs have a variety of fits and a lower cut. They have some interesting models coming out next year with built in flex. Don't know all the Graf fits but I'm guessing you'd be closer to 705/709 with a wider foot.

Ideally for me I'd be able to use a derivative of the Total One skates...I like the look and the tech, they are light weight, I love the LS2 holders and steel...but I take what I can get. The Grafs have treated me very well, kinda heavy and had some eyelets pop out, had to get them re-profiled to match Bauer, but when they got dialed in it's just a great fit now.