HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   OT: Stern to Step Down as N.B.A. Commissioner in ’14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275681)

kdb209 10-25-2012 05:01 PM

OT: Stern to Step Down as N.B.A. Commissioner in ’14
 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/sp...r-in-2014.html

Quote:

Stern to Step Down as N.B.A. Commissioner in ’14
By HOWARD BECK
Published: October 25, 2012

David Stern will step down as N.B.A. commissioner on Feb. 1, 2014, the league announced Thursday.

“I don’t know what else to say other than to recite what I told the owners yesterday in executive session,” Stern, 70, said at a news conference. “I told them that it’s been a great run, it will continue for another 15 months, that the league is in, I think, terrific condition.”

Glen Taylor, the chairman of the Board of Governors, said the board unanimously authorized negotiations with the deputy commissioner Adam Silver to succeed Stern.

StoneColdFlower* 10-25-2012 05:16 PM

A shame it's not Bettman.

Krishna 10-25-2012 05:17 PM

I never realized he was 70

Inkling 10-25-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 (Post 55280841)
A shame it's not Bettman.

:nod:

I was more disappointed to hear that they had already appointed a successor. Send over your resume Gary....

WhiskeySeven* 10-25-2012 10:13 PM

All the commissioners are huge, huge crooks. I can't believe how little the gigantic sports entertainment industry is regulated - as long as you they don't catch you doping, beating your wife or gambling you're in the clear... while the commish gets to make whatever deal he wants with TNT.

Stern's a bad man, the NBA is a joke.

Brodie 10-26-2012 12:14 AM

And Selig's totally retiring next year, guys!

PatriceBergeronFan 10-26-2012 08:24 AM

Good riddance.

Morris Wanchuk 10-26-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 55288637)
All the commissioners are huge, huge crooks. I can't believe how little the gigantic sports entertainment industry is regulated - as long as you they don't catch you doping, beating your wife or gambling you're in the clear... while the commish gets to make whatever deal he wants with TNT.

Stern's a bad man, the NBA is a joke.

Regulate by who?

I don't want my tax money regulating friggin sports leagues. if they want to be corrupt, let them suffer for it.

William Hylander 10-26-2012 09:03 AM

Stern is the biggest crook out of all commissioners. Many writers maintain that the league fixed games under his watch. He basically force fed Kobe and Shaq a championship in 01-02 by giving the refs the order to call fouls whenever possible against the Sacremento Kings.

He's a disgrace and no better than the Criminals who have fixed games in the Italian Serie A.

moosehead81 10-26-2012 09:30 AM

How would one rate Stern vs Little Napoleon, Bettman? Probably both equally bad although sometimes I feel like Bettman still works for the NBA.

Brodie 10-26-2012 12:16 PM

Stern has done a lot of shady crap over the years, Bettman has really just done his job in a way fans dislike. No contest. Stern has overseen the creation of a system and culture that will eventually make 60% of the league into a glorified development system for the other 40%

Kebekoi 10-26-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 55298963)
Stern has done a lot of shady crap over the years, Bettman has really just done his job in a way fans dislike. No contest. Stern has overseen the creation of a system and culture that will eventually make 60% of the league into a glorified development system for the other 40%

What about Selig?

Trebek 10-26-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling (Post 55288563)
:nod:

I was more disappointed to hear that they had already appointed a successor. Send over your resume Gary....

You realize that Bettman was involved with the NBA for only 12 years, and that he's already been involved with the NHL for 19 (an even 20 this February)?

He's a hockey guy.

ShootIt 10-26-2012 01:06 PM

Good. Don't care for him or Goodell.

ShootIt 10-26-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 55298963)
Stern has done a lot of shady crap over the years, Bettman has really just done his job in a way fans dislike. No contest. Stern has overseen the creation of a system and culture that will eventually make 60% of the league into a glorified development system for the other 40%

40%? I would would of guessed more like 20%.

Gnashville 10-26-2012 04:47 PM

Good Riddance no more fixed games and series, plus his Ego has applied for statehood. He has to be the star at the draft not the players, owners ECT.

MISC* 10-26-2012 05:13 PM

It's been widely rumoured that Bettman wants the MLB job once it's open.

Wonder if Daly will be the new Comish once Bettman leaves.

StoneColdFlower* 10-27-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISC (Post 55306029)
It's been widely rumoured that Bettman wants the MLB job once it's open.

Wonder if Daly will be the new Comish once Bettman leaves.

Dear God. We Blue Jays fans have suffered so much already. Anything but Bettman.

aqib 10-27-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISC (Post 55306029)
It's been widely rumoured that Bettman wants the MLB job once it's open.

Wonder if Daly will be the new Comish once Bettman leaves.

I remember reading that John Collins would be in the mix when that happens. I didn't like Collins when he was President of the Cleveland Browns


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.