HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   We Don't Need an NHL Season to Have an ASG (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275721)

CapnCornelius 10-25-2012 06:29 PM

We Don't Need an NHL Season to Have an ASG
 
Something occured to me today as I mused the fact that the City of Columbus is going to become yet another victim in the league and NHLPA's labor dispute--why not still have an All Star Game in Columbus?

In these difficult economic times as we struggle to get back to normal, the City could stand some revenue. As fans, we want to see hockey, even if it is just an exhibition game. What would stop a group of players from voluntarily coming to Columbus to play an exhibition game for the fans and the love of the game? If some guy can get Billy Idol to play his birthday (Google it if you haven't seen it), why can't we get 40-50 NHL players (and/or alums) to come to Columbus this winter to play an exhibition game as was promised to us last winter?

Keep in mind that during prior lockouts the players have in fact come together to play exhibition games--the 1994-95 lockout in particular had several All-Star teams who played a series of games wearing NHLPA jerseys. No reason it couldn't be done again with all money going to charity.

The only real impediment I see is venue. I'd suspect that Nationwide is out. Does the deal between OSU and the Jackets preclude the Schott? What other hockey venues in Central Ohio could fit over 1,000 people?

We've often got the short end of the stick as a fanbase--missing the #1 pick in a year we were dead last, not seeing a playoff victory thus far, players pouting to be traded, etc. The way I see it, the hockey gods owe us one.

leesmith 10-25-2012 06:32 PM

Fairgrounds Coliseum seats around 6,000.

Jaxs 10-25-2012 07:35 PM

Canada would certainly respect us if this came to fruition.

Fred Glover 10-25-2012 07:38 PM

Thanks but no thanks

Paisano* 10-25-2012 09:55 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me! Not sure if they could get enough quality 'star power' players to come but I'd definitely go

Mayor Bee 10-25-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 55282519)
Something occured to me today as I mused the fact that the City of Columbus is going to become yet another victim in the league and NHLPA's labor dispute--why not still have an All Star Game in Columbus?

In these difficult economic times as we struggle to get back to normal, the City could stand some revenue. As fans, we want to see hockey, even if it is just an exhibition game. What would stop a group of players from voluntarily coming to Columbus to play an exhibition game for the fans and the love of the game? If some guy can get Billy Idol to play his birthday (Google it if you haven't seen it), why can't we get 40-50 NHL players (and/or alums) to come to Columbus this winter to play an exhibition game as was promised to us last winter?

Keep in mind that during prior lockouts the players have in fact come together to play exhibition games--the 1994-95 lockout in particular had several All-Star teams who played a series of games wearing NHLPA jerseys. No reason it couldn't be done again with all money going to charity.

The only real impediment I see is venue. I'd suspect that Nationwide is out. Does the deal between OSU and the Jackets preclude the Schott? What other hockey venues in Central Ohio could fit over 1,000 people?

We've often got the short end of the stick as a fanbase--missing the #1 pick in a year we were dead last, not seeing a playoff victory thus far, players pouting to be traded, etc. The way I see it, the hockey gods owe us one.

The 1994 tournament benefited the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Canada. It was held in Hamilton, and featured four teams: Western Canada, Ontario, Quebec, and United States.

Yes, Nationwide would be out as a venue. The 1994 tournament was done in Hamilton, which was the most centrally-located (from a population standpoint) non-NHL city. I hate the idea of suggesting Value City Arena for a damned thing, but it would be usable since it's a non-NHL arena.

As far as players involved were concerned, it wasn't a true All-Star group (although many players were in fact All-Stars). Rosters are found here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=612015

For what it's worth, Bauer provided jerseys for the tournament. Bauer, at the time, had only an IHL contract and did not outfit any NHL teams. I don't know if there's a legal reason for that or if it was simply because Bauer was able to provide a better design in smaller numbers than CCM would have required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxs (Post 55284155)
Canada would certainly respect us if this came to fruition.

If you want to know how much I give a damn about them, Google the legendary rant of Lee Elia. The target isn't the same, but the feeling is awfully close.;)

Crede777 10-25-2012 11:42 PM

How would you pick the All-Stars if there is no season as a background for who is doing great and who isn't?

Mayor Bee 10-25-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 55290771)
How would you pick the All-Stars if there is no season as a background for who is doing great and who isn't?

1) Compile a list of every All-Star from 2000-present who's still active in the NHL.
2) Remove those who are playing overseas, or are in the AHL
3) Break down the remaining players by native area, and start inviting
4) If there aren't enough All-Stars who accept invites, go to the next tier to fill out. The 1994 tournament had guys like Doug Bodger, so...

The other option is to simply ask me. I'll coach one team, Capn can take another, and we'll auction the remaining two spots for charity.;)

punk_o_holic 10-26-2012 12:11 AM

Make it a charity game and players would most likely say yes.

Would it have to be only current NHL hockey players? Would you bring in celeberties or former players? Why not play against the Ohio State Buckeyes?

Kevin Bieksa just recently hosted a charity game. It was Bieksa and friends(Both Sedin's, Schneider, Hamhuis, I think Tanner Glass among others including singer Michael Buble. Buble ended up chickening out and became a assitant coach instead) against the UBC Thunderbirds. Bieksa goal was to raise $100,000 for charity and Buble said, "Why not $200,000?" and ended up donating $100,000.

The fans in Columbus gets a chance to see hockey and at the same time will help raise money for a good cause.

If they played against the Buckeyes, would RJ coach/play for them or would he play against them?

Double-Shift Lassť 10-26-2012 06:55 AM

I like the idea of a charity game or something of that nature held here during the lockout. I'd have trouble considering it an All-Star game and would hate to think it would replace the idea of having the actual All-Star game held here.

pete goegan 10-26-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 55293953)
I like the idea of a charity game or something of that nature held here during the lockout. I'd have trouble considering it an All-Star game and would hate to think it would replace the idea of having the actual All-Star game held here.

I wonder how the league would view such a game? Might Bettman and his gang feel that Columbus was siding with the players and not reschedule the actual ASG in retaliation? Stupid and petty, I know, but remember who we're talking about, here!

blahblah 10-26-2012 07:25 AM

Interesting. An exhibition of some type for charity might be interesting. I doubt this will go anywhere but idle chatter, but interesting discussion. Different than the standard fare.

BluejacketNut 10-26-2012 07:33 AM

You dont need NHL players for this! They rescheduled our game last night which was to be in the Ice Haus and moved it to the big rink....you could have come watched that! :laugh: Was cool to get to do, but ice SUCKED, was extremely hot on the rink. New scoreboard was pretty impressive, but without times anywhere else, it was hard to see how much time was remaining since you had to look way up to see it!

Jaxs 10-26-2012 08:22 AM

My comment earlier should have included a sarcasm smilie. I like the idea of a charity game. To get the ball rolling, players could be tweeted and asked what they think about the idea. Many of them are probably bored to tears and would welcome the idea. Not too sure Ohio State would cooperate, but the coliseum may and wouldn't that bring alot of memories of full barns for Chill games.

Again, I think some players like JJ, Wiz, Umby to name a few that aren't currently playing overseas would take over the reigns if presented with the idea. They could pick the charity that the proceeds would be given to.

The sooner the better.

Skraut 10-26-2012 08:43 AM

What colored shirts will get this done?

JACKETfan 10-26-2012 08:48 AM

....and then the NHL would never ever give us the ASG again.

CapnCornelius 10-26-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKETfan (Post 55294973)
....and then the NHL would never ever give us the ASG again.

Highly doubt it.

If we were turning this into some pro NHLPA thing (and that's certainly not my intention as there is plenty of blame to go around regarding the state of negotiations), maybe. Even then, the reality of the ASG is that it is a cherry for the franchise owners in the city that gets it--Bettman gave the game to Columbus in part to help the owners through difficult financial times and he's going to come back to Columbus in 2014 regardless of whether some fans band together to put on a charity game.

Beyond that, a game would be free advertising for the sport of hockey in a time when it is otherwise getting zero attention.

CapnCornelius 10-26-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 55290961)
1) Compile a list of every All-Star from 2000-present who's still active in the NHL.
2) Remove those who are playing overseas, or are in the AHL
3) Break down the remaining players by native area, and start inviting
4) If there aren't enough All-Stars who accept invites, go to the next tier to fill out. The 1994 tournament had guys like Doug Bodger, so...

The other option is to simply ask me. I'll coach one team, Capn can take another, and we'll auction the remaining two spots for charity.;)

I definitely like the idea of some sort of fan interaction, such as auctioning a couple roster spots for fans--the Ducks did that in their pre-season charity game. Heck, let's be honest--they should do that in the real ASG.

I'd want it to be a weekend event just like the ASG, and in addition to helping charity I'd want to help the businesses in the Arena District by holding some player autograph sessions down in the District at the various bars and restaurants the night before the game. The businesses down there could really use some help with no games to boost sales numbers.

Mayor Bee 10-26-2012 10:39 AM

Using the 1994 tournament as a guide, by breaking down into 4 regions/reams:

There's actually enough NHL depth to have two full teams for each regions. This is following the 1 goalie, 5 defensemen, 7 forward format.

These are just players I wrote down, so the "overseas/AHL" filter hasn't been applied yet. Nor did I go into the depth players at all; these are mostly all-stars or future all-stars.

Western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)

Kyle Turris, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Jamie Benn, Ray Whitney, Ryan Smyth, Joffrey Lupul. Jarome Iginla, Taylor Hall, Shane Doan, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Brenden Morrow, Patrick Marleau, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Getzlaf

Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook, Sheldon Souray, Dion Phaneuf, Mike Green, Jay Bouwmeester, Duncan Keith, Luke Schenn

Carey Price, Cam Ward

Team Ontario

Justin Williams, Corey Perry, Wayne Simmonds, Nathan Horton, Claude Giroux, Todd Bertuzzi,Rick Nash, James Neal, Brad Boyes, Andy McDonald, Andrew Brunette, Joe Thornton, John Tavares, Stephen Weiss, Steven Stamkos, Jordan Staal, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene

Marc Staal, PK Subban, Chris Pronger, Alex Pietrangelo, Ed Jovanovski, Erik Gudbranson, Drew Doughty, Michael Del Zotto, Brent Burns, Dan Boyle

Brian Elliott, Steve Mason

Team Quebec/Eastern Canada (PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland)

Antoine Vermette, Alex Tanguay, Martin St. Louis, David Perron, PA Parenteau, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, Danny Briere, Derick Brassard, P-M Bouchard, Rayne Clowe, Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards

Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Stephane Robidas, Kris Letang, Colin White, Jason Demers, M-A Bergeron, Francois Beauchemin

Roberto Luongo, Jose Theodore, Marty Brodeur

Team USA
Paul Stastny, Max Pacioretty, Chris Drury, Bobby Ryan, James van Riemsedyk, Patrick Kane, Dustin Brown, RJ Umberger, TJ Oshie, Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Ryan Kesler, Zach Parise, David Backes

Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk, Jack Johnson, J-M Liles, Zach Bogosian, Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, John Carlson, James Wisniewski, Ryan McDonagh, Dustin Byfuglien

Jonathan Quick, Jim Howard, Cory Schneider, Ryan Miller

(Now then...)

Obviously, there are a couple of other things to quickly address. Paul Stastny was born in Quebec, but represents USA internationally. The prior precedent from 1994 was Dave Ellett, who was born in Cleveland but represented Canada internationally (but played for USA in the 1994 tournament). This would also affect Sean Couturier (born in Phoenix, represents Canada) and Tyler Myers (born in Houston, represents Canada).

As far as retaliation against Columbus, I don't see it happening. The NHL didn't retaliate against the cities that hosted the Ninety-Nine All-Star Tour (1994); in fact, regular season games ended up being played in Europe years down the road. The precedent is that a city that lost an ASG gets it right back at the earliest possible date. To defy that precedent on account of a charity tournament would be a horrible black eye in the PR department.

Scheduling

Let's assume four teams, and let's assume a round-robin format with a single championship game. That's seven total games, for which there'd need to be four days booked (two games per day, championship at the end). For Value City Arena, the only open full days for that are January 7-12 (Monday through Saturday), which are completely open; there's also February 3-6 (Sunday through Wednesday). If you're feeling aggressive, there's also December 2-6 (Sunday through Thursday), which is also wide open. There's also random OSU hockey games thrown into other parts of the schedule, but those are the only completely open ones.

For charity?

I suggested a couple weeks ago on the main board that a quick way to try to establish the upper hand in the PR battle would be by owners donating the gate and players donating the check from the first NHL game this year to Hockey Fights Cancer, and make it all-out with teams wearing purple-trimmed jerseys for that game (all of which would be auctioned off to benefit the same). I still like the idea, although I think it would work for something like this.

FANonymous 10-26-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 55294881)
What colored shirts will get this done?

Neon Green ones.

Nanabijou 10-26-2012 03:44 PM

Count me out. That's not to discourage anyone who wants to do this, more power to you, but I have no interest in this.

I want the players and the owners to be locked in a room and get this lockout resolved. I hold both sides equally responsible for this debacle and I don't want to see or hear from any of them until this is figured out.

This has the potential to feel too much like a PR stunt, as in: "look how the players want to play for the love of the game and give back to charity" :p: is what I say to that. I'd much rather them actually donate their time behind the scenes to charity and minor hockey teams (which at least some are doing, to their credit) than to do something like this.

I also agree that I wouldn't want to see the actual NHL all-star game taken away from Columbus in future years, and while the chance is remote, I could see that happening.

Instead of NHLers, what I WOULD support is that we could somehow swing an exhibition game between Canada and USA world junior hockey teams before the tourney starts around Christmas, OR a Springfield Falcons game held here in Columbus around the time of the All-star game. All proceeds from the game would go to charity - none to the owners - and I would guess that the game would have to be held at the Schott then.

ZachACA 10-26-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 55295471)
Highly doubt it.

If we were turning this into some pro NHLPA thing (and that's certainly not my intention as there is plenty of blame to go around regarding the state of negotiations), maybe. Even then, the reality of the ASG is that it is a cherry for the franchise owners in the city that gets it--Bettman gave the game to Columbus in part to help the owners through difficult financial times and he's going to come back to Columbus in 2014 regardless of whether some fans band together to put on a charity game.

Beyond that, a game would be free advertising for the sport of hockey in a time when it is otherwise getting zero attention.

Two things:

1. Would love to be able to see some sort of charity game to attend.

2. We probably won't get the ASG back till 15/16. 2014 will be taken up with the Olympics and after the past two lockouts, it's taken 2 seasons for the team that lost the ASG to get it back so maybe they've already decided on 2015's host city? If not, still won't be for two more years.

blahblah 10-26-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachACA (Post 55306831)
Two things:

1. Would love to be able to see some sort of charity game to attend.

2. We probably won't get the ASG back till 15/16. 2014 will be taken up with the Olympics and after the past two lockouts, it's taken 2 seasons for the team that lost the ASG to get it back so maybe they've already decided on 2015's host city? If not, still won't be for two more years.

Personally I'd rather have the draft again before the ASG, but it's a big deal for the city to be sure.

CapnCornelius 10-26-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 55306905)
Personally I'd rather have the draft again before the ASG, but it's a big deal for the city to be sure.

There is more hitting during the draft. I've seen Paul Holmgren hip check a guy to close a trade.

JACKETfan 10-26-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 55295471)
Highly doubt it.

If we were turning this into some pro NHLPA thing (and that's certainly not my intention as there is plenty of blame to go around regarding the state of negotiations), maybe. Even then, the reality of the ASG is that it is a cherry for the franchise owners in the city that gets it--Bettman gave the game to Columbus in part to help the owners through difficult financial times and he's going to come back to Columbus in 2014 regardless of whether some fans band together to put on a charity game.

Beyond that, a game would be free advertising for the sport of hockey in a time when it is otherwise getting zero attention.

Seriously Capn?

No way in HELL the NHL would authorize or appreciate an NHLPA organized event, or any quasi-allstar game.

And the team or GM, or city that booked it would be on Bettman's **** list.

No question about it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.