HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ESPN - Leino & Myers amongst 10 worst contracts in NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275775)

WhoIsJimBob 10-25-2012 08:26 PM

ESPN - Leino & Myers amongst 10 worst contracts in NHL
 
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...-dipietro-saga

Quote:

3. Ville Leino, six years, $27 million: The season before he signed his monster deal with the Sabres, Leino scored 19 goals and made $825,000. A season later, he scored eight goals and made $6 million. Sure, he had promise, which was shown in a record 2010 playoffs with the Flyers, but there was little else in Leino’s past performances to indicate he was worth that kind of money and term.


9. Tyler Myers, seven years, $38.5 million: The annual cap hit of Myers’ contract isn’t so bad -- $5.5 million -- but why did the Sabres give him a $10 million signing bonus for the first year? Was it really that hard for him to sign the contract? It makes the first season of his deal -- which is, symbolically, the locked-out 2012-13 season -- worth $12 million, third-highest salary in the league. And we’re pretty sure that unless you live in Cheektowaga, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers.
I live in Chili/Perinton and have heard of Tyler Myers.

:laugh:

1972 10-25-2012 08:29 PM

ESPN doesnt dissapoint, I like Myers contract and Leino isnt all that bad, definetly not #3.

oomps 10-25-2012 08:32 PM

I disagree with the article. Myers is very popular in Buffalo and loved by all of his fans. I am in Buffalo, followed his career pre-NHL, has scored numerous game winning goals for us. As for Leino, he was def not existant last year, I guess we will see what his future holds.

Taelin 10-25-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio (Post 55285597)
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...-dipietro-saga



I live in Chili/Perinton and have heard of Tyler Myers.

:laugh:

How is a signing bonus bad for a contract? It's the caphit that matters in the end for Pegula anyway.

I live in Vancouver, Canada...and I know who Myers is.

EDIT: According to the writer's profile... "Also worked at Consumer Reports, Ottawa Sun, Peterborough Examiner, Toronto Sun " That's probably why :laugh:

stempniaksen 10-25-2012 08:33 PM

Not a Sabres fan but having Myers on this list is a stretch. I agree the way the contract is structured is weird, but he's a very good player on a good cap hit.

I could see the argument for Leino in the top-ten although 3 seems high.

Taelin 10-25-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stempniaksen (Post 55285831)
I could see the argument for Leino in the top-ten although 3 seems high.

Can't believe Leino is above Komisarek...at least Leino can play in the lineup.

SackTastic 10-25-2012 08:38 PM

Can't make an argument against Leino, but Myers? Ok.

slip 10-25-2012 08:46 PM

Ah yes, the inimitable Paul Grant, ESPN hockey writer, who according to Linkedin is:

Currently overseeing coverage of the NHL and tennis on ESPN.com. This involves coordination of content with all platforms of ESPN: TV, radio/audio, magazine, fantasy, etc.
Previously, oversaw the operations of ESPN.com's General Sports, which included but were not limited to: NASCAR, golf, U.S. soccer, tennis, boxing, MMA, horse racing.


Yeah, he knows hockey alright. :laugh:

pigpen65 10-25-2012 08:53 PM

When you factor in that Leino only had one good year his entire life by the time he was 28, and that the Sabres signed him to play a position he didn't even play, the Leino contract is the worst in the league by far. There is no logical explanation for the Leino contract.

tsujimoto74 10-25-2012 09:44 PM

And this is why ESPN should leave hockey alone and stick to sports that they actually know things about.
Myers' contract isn't even the 2nd worst on the team, let alone anywhere near Leino's or even in the top 50 worst contracts league wide.

Timbo Slice 10-25-2012 09:49 PM

ESPN never disappoints! :laugh:

ZZamboni 10-25-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigpen65 (Post 55286459)
When you factor in that Leino only had one good year his entire life by the time he was 28, and that the Sabres signed him to play a position he didn't even play, the Leino contract is the worst in the league by far. There is no logical explanation for the Leino contract.

Um, no.

Furthermore, AT THE TIME of the signing, let me repeat this for you so maybe there's a bigger chance it sinks in.... AT THE TIME of the signing, there was sound logic (albeit risky but not illogical) to signing a player who had a good season and a real good playoffs to a longer contract, especially since the Sabres were competing with other clubs trying to get him. In addition to that he was the second most attractive forward behind Brad Richards.

Again, for a third time ... AT THE TIME it wasn't a terrible free agent signing.

In hindsight, so far with 1/6th of his contract played, yes, the Leino signing isn't a very good one. 5/6ths still need to be played for a better educated opinion.

sabresfan129103 10-25-2012 09:58 PM

Leino is probably where he should be. That contract is awful. I'm assuming they needed the signing bonus to keep the cap hit down on Myers deal. I love the Myers contract.

PierreMcGuire* 10-25-2012 10:07 PM

Leino defiantly belongs on a list like this, Myers on the other hand defiantly doesn't belong.

BuiltTagonTough 10-25-2012 10:14 PM

As has been said before, Myers' deal is a great one. He doesn't bother to factor in that Pegula doesn't care about the bonus, or that it allows us to keep the cap hit down, or that it locks up the best young defender we've had in years for most of his prime.

Reddawg 10-25-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio (Post 55285597)
I live in Chili/Perinton and have heard of Tyler Myers.

:laugh:

Heh, I grew up in Chili.

LGB24 10-25-2012 11:10 PM

Having Myers on the list is one thing, but saying a recent ROY isn't a well known name around the league is just utter nonsense.

tsujimoto74 10-26-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGB24 (Post 55290125)
Having Myers on the list is one thing, but saying a recent ROY isn't a well known name around the league is just utter nonsense.

ESPN probably just forgot to Google him and haven't yet figured out that he's actually pretty darn good at hockey. :sarcasm:

VaporTrail 10-26-2012 04:35 AM

typical ESPN, does not surprise me

EDIT: I just went and looked at all the comments under the article...I love how everyone is ripping ESPN and the writer a new one for putting Myers on the list...

I like the "You know literally nothing about hockey if you think Tyler Myers has one of the worst contracts in the NHL or that nobody outside of Buffalo has heard of the Calder-winning 22-year-old 6' 8" defenceman" :laugh:

and the
"And we’re pretty sure that unless you live in Cheektowaga, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers."

Yup nobody has ever heard of the Sabres first line Calder winning defenseman.
:laugh:

HiddenInLight 10-26-2012 05:58 AM

Wow......Pretty sure the Myers comment isn't true....Pretty much everyone knows who Myers is. Ask pretty much any hockey fan what player on this team they would aquire in a trade if they could, and I bet the majority answer Tyler Myers. As for the bonus, its very likely that Pegula pretty much said, "Give the kid a bonus I'm a big fan of his". More likely it was there to keep the cap hit down, and either way its a reasonable contract.....won't argue with Leinos though.

pigpen65 10-26-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZamboni (Post 55288223)
Um, no.

Furthermore, AT THE TIME of the signing, let me repeat this for you so maybe there's a bigger chance it sinks in.... AT THE TIME of the signing, there was sound logic (albeit risky but not illogical) to signing a player who had a good season and a real good playoffs to a longer contract, especially since the Sabres were competing with other clubs trying to get him. In addition to that he was the second most attractive forward behind Brad Richards.

Again, for a third time ... AT THE TIME it wasn't a terrible free agent signing.

In hindsight, so far with 1/6th of his contract played, yes, the Leino signing isn't a very good one. 5/6ths still need to be played for a better educated opinion.

AT THE TIME, he did not play center and he was signed to play center. AT THE TIME, he was 28 years old and had only had one productive season. AT THE TIME, the signing was RETARDED. I assume you were also a huge fan of Toronto signing Jeff Finger too? The Sabres basically signed Jeff Finger, but they signed Jeff Finger to play goalie, gave him even more money, and signed him for twice as long.

Clock 10-26-2012 08:01 AM

Leino, sure.

Myers... the writer agrees the cap hit is good but thinks the money balancing makes the contract awful? I'm sure part of the draw of front-loading with bonuses like that is the time value of money draw. Perhaps he took 100k less a year on that basis, who knows.

As far as no one outside of Cheektowaga knowing who Tyler Myers is... I mean, just go home. You're done.

ZZamboni 10-26-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigpen65 (Post 55294153)
AT THE TIME, he did not play center and he was signed to play center.

You're right, but from 2002 - 2007 he played both center and wing for Ilves Tampere and HPK Hameenlinna so he absolutely had a history of playing center before. So AT THE TIME it wasn't an odd or stupid thought that he could do it in Buffalo. And JJ (I think) has proven the signing came first, .... THEN Leino mentioned about playing center AFTER he was already signed. There was a big thread on this months ago, I just can't find the thread right now.

Quote:

AT THE TIME, he was 28 years old and had only had one productive season. AT THE TIME, the signing was RETARDED.
He was plenty productive in a few seasons in Finland, and one in Philly. The second sentence is pure opinion and not grounded in fact. Hindsight emotional retort.

Quote:

I assume you were also a huge fan of Toronto signing Jeff Finger too? The Sabres basically signed Jeff Finger, but they signed Jeff Finger to play goalie, gave him even more money, and signed him for twice as long.
You shouldn't assume.





AT THE TIME, it was a free agent signing of the second most highly sought after forward on the market.


Again, today, yea, the signing looks pretty bad ... So far.

Dixon Ward 10-26-2012 10:19 AM

i'm willing to give leino another season before i write it off as a garbage contract, but it's certainly in the running.

OkimLom 10-26-2012 10:20 AM

9. Tyler Myers, seven years, $38.5 million: The annual cap hit of Myers’ contract isn’t so bad -- $5.5 million -- but why did the Sabres give him a $10 million signing bonus for the first year? Was it really that hard for him to sign the contract? It makes the first season of his deal -- which is, symbolically, the locked-out 2012-13 season -- worth $12 million, third-highest salary in the league. And we’re pretty sure that unless you WORK OUTSIDE OF ESPN, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers.

Fixed.

Seriously, why do people (fans and media) keep bringing up bad contracts AFTER they've been signed? Nothing can be done with these contracts, Unless they allow teams to buy out contracts or void them without being penalized.

Just live with the fact your GM made a questionable move and hope they learned from it, and move on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.