HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   MSG seals deal to broadcast select KHL games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275861)

LadyStanley 10-24-2012 01:17 PM

MSG seals deal to broadcast select KHL games
 
stevezipay 11:08am via TweetDeck MSG to carry two KHL games live: Dinamo Minsk vs Barys (with Ryan McDonagh) Friday, and Wednesday, Dinamo Riga-St. Pete at 1 p.m. Tape at 8

Erik Estrada 10-25-2012 07:41 PM

MSG seals deal to broadcast select KHL games
 
From earlier:

Quote:

New York Daily News

The NHL lockout will not keep MSG from televising live professional hockey.

The network sealed an agreement with the Kontinental Hockey League to televise two KHL games in the next week that will feature Rangers top-pair defenseman Ryan McDonagh and Devils star forward Ilya Kovalchuk, among several other NHL players overseas during the work stoppage.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...eaturing-ryan-


Fugu 10-25-2012 10:27 PM

It will be interesting to see if people watch.

Kane One 10-25-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55289055)
It will be interesting to see if people watch.

I'm absolutely not going to watch, but it's possible that they get some good ratings due to the massive Russian population here.

Krishna 10-25-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55289055)
It will be interesting to see if people watch.

Doubtful. Did ESPN release the ratings they got for the game they put on ESPN2?

Fugu 10-25-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55289177)
I'm absolutely not going to watch, but it's possible that they get some good ratings due to the massive Russian population here.


I would watch. It's hockey.

Krishna 10-25-2012 10:53 PM

Oh, they did
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/i5...fasfdsasfy.jpg

Calad 10-25-2012 10:53 PM

I'll be watching

NinthSpoke06 10-25-2012 11:05 PM

I don't see the interest in the KHL? Just nothing special IMO.

Fugu 10-25-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanSeguin (Post 55290007)
I don't see the interest in the KHL? Just nothing special IMO.


It's hockey.

Kane One 10-25-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55289631)
I would watch. It's hockey.

I know, but I don't want to support the players by watching.

I rather just wait until the weekends and watch college hockey.

Fugu 10-25-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55290169)
I know, but I don't want to support the players by watching.

I rather just wait until the weekends and watch college hockey.


You'd be supporting MSG.

Kane One 10-25-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55290351)
You'd be supporting MSG.

True, but MSG is pretty much supporting the players since they just want the lockout to end.

Fugu 10-25-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55290557)
True, but MSG is pretty much supporting the players since they just want the lockout to end.


The owner of the richest US-based NHL team?

Kane One 10-26-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55290655)
The owner of the richest US-based NHL team?

Yep. I think it's pretty clear that he wants the season to start already. The only thing this lockout does for MSG is that it hurts them. They are getting absolutely nothing out of it, except a massive loss in ticket and advertising revenues.

I feel that if I watch the KHL, I'm supporting the players. I am against NHL players *****ing about their current situation, and then they just go to another league and take other players' jobs. It's not right.

Dream Big 10-26-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanSeguin (Post 55290007)
I don't see the interest in the KHL? Just nothing special IMO.

I'm starting to like the music.

Erik Estrada 10-26-2012 12:28 AM

Some questions on this initiative:

1-Is it helping to give exposure to and market a rival league?
2-Will it help this rival league to get more money from sponsors?
3-Is it financing in any way this rival league?
4-Will it indirectly fund locked out players?
5-Will it attract more locked out players to a rival league?
etc, etc...

Fugu 10-26-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Estrada (Post 55291627)
Some questions on this initiative:

1-Is it helping to give exposure to and market a rival league?
2-Will it help this rival league to get more money from sponsors?
3-Is it financing in any way this rival league?
4-Will it indirectly fund locked out players?
5-Will it attract more locked out players to a rival league?
etc, etc...



1. Yes. MSG isn't exactly OLN when it got started...:sarcasm:
2. Not sure. Sponsors want eyeballs in the market where they sell things.
3. Some money may trickle back through rights fees, but if it's just a limited number of games, that may not be that much.
4. Same as 3.
5. It adds legitimacy to another league.

Erik Estrada 10-26-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55291895)
1. Yes. MSG isn't exactly OLN when it got started...:sarcasm:
2. Not sure. Sponsors want eyeballs in the market where they sell things.
3. Some money may trickle back through rights fees, but if it's just a limited number of games, that may not be that much.
4. Same as 3.
5. It adds legitimacy to another league.


The first game will feature, among others: McDonagh, Kovalchuk, Hedman, E. Kane, Pavelski, Rinne, etc... Will it help the growth of the other league when hockey fans in NY become aware there are more and more top NHLers playing on certain teams? How many of those fans would have even bothered finding out without this initiative?

Krishna 10-26-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55291895)
1. Yes. MSG isn't exactly OLN when it got started...:sarcasm:
2. Not sure. Sponsors want eyeballs in the market where they sell things.
3. Some money may trickle back through rights fees, but if it's just a limited number of games, that may not be that much.
4. Same as 3.
5. It adds legitimacy to another league.

ESPN2 is in more homes than MSG and ESPN2 only managed a 0.1 showing a KHL game. They won't get big viewers in the US, Time delay plus pretty boring hockey isn't really what the american audience would go for

Fugu 10-26-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55292591)
ESPN2 is in more homes than MSG and ESPN2 only managed a 0.1 showing a KHL game. They won't get big viewers in the US, Time delay plus pretty boring hockey isn't really what the american audience would go for


The American audience often doesn't go for NHL hockey......

Krishna 10-26-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55292707)
The American audience often doesn't go for NHL hockey......

Even Florida, who was last in the league in tv ratings, doubled ESPN's numbers.

Fugu 10-26-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55292767)
Even Florida, who was last in the league in tv ratings, doubled ESPN's numbers.


This doesn't look nearly as good as you seem to indicate.

Krishna 10-26-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55292823)
This doesn't look nearly as good as you seem to indicate.

Semantics.

Fugu 10-26-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55292841)
Semantics.

No, not really. One is an established team with ongoing, scheduled games that everyone in the market 'should' know about.

The other is a broadcast of a foreign league with maybe a player or two recognizable to some fans, at its inception.


(In reality, the levels are so low for both, that they're probably insignificant, statistically speaking.)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.