HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Could Mike Kostka be a late bloomer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1275869)

TmlHockeyFan 10-26-2012 12:19 AM

Could Mike Kostka be a late bloomer?

I liked his performance so far with the Marlies. He's even managed to get a point per game during five games. I know this is an extremely small sample but I hope he stays consistent. His one-timers are pretty nice too. He played pretty well with the Admirals too.

He may actually play a few NHL games next year.

kamosko 10-26-2012 12:21 AM

AHL star, nothing more nothing less

Sergei Berezin 10-26-2012 12:26 AM

I really see this guy becoming a nice depth NHL guy.

His puck possession and vision is quite impressive.

With that said, though, it could all go down the ******* when he gets into an NHL game, so you never know.

charliolemieux 10-26-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan (Post 55290295)
I liked his performance so far with the Marlies. He's even managed to get a point per game during five games. I know this is an extremely small sample but I hope he stays consistent. His one-timers are pretty nice too. He played pretty well with the Admirals too.

He may actually play a few NHL games next year.

I heard the Eakins interview. Dallas thinks the kid has earned atleast an audition with an NHL club.

Too bad no NHL clubs are playing. If he is the best D-man on the Marlies next year I'm still happy.

Cor 10-26-2012 12:31 AM

I believe Burke said in an interview he will get a look in camp, and will be called up for injuries and such. I'd rather get Paul Ranger to sign a NHL deal with a full NTC (so they can't trade him from Toronto, the only place he wants to play) so he can be on our team and we use Holzer as a callup instead

charliolemieux 10-26-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cor99 (Post 55290551)
I believe Burke said in an interview he will get a look in camp, and will be called up for injuries and such. I'd rather get Paul Ranger to sign a NHL deal with a full NTC (so they can't trade him from Toronto, the only place he wants to play) so he can be on our team and we use Holzer as a callup instead

Really? A NTC? For a guy who hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years?

Well...I guess since all the other NTC's turned out so well for this team.

BlueMapleDawg 10-26-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliolemieux (Post 55292019)
Really? A NTC? For a guy who hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years?

Well...I guess since all the other NTC's turned out so well for this team.

Ranger only wants to play in Toronto right now. To the point I'd think he'd rather play for the Marlies than another NHL city. That may change.

An NTC ensures his own future. It makes plenty of sense. Why can't you see it?

BudMaster17 10-26-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg (Post 55292943)
Ranger only wants to play in Toronto right now. To the point I'd think he'd rather play for the Marlies than another NHL city That may change.

You think he would rather play for the Marlies then the rangers, kings, wings, flyers..... Your talking about Ahl to NHL, simply put if he has the ability to play in the big show that's where he is going to play. The leafs might be his first choice but dont think for a minute he would rather play for the Marlies over other NHL teams.

disgruntleddave 10-26-2012 05:27 AM

Ranger has a contract with the marlies.

It's clear that his goal is to eventually be on the leafs, which may happen eventually if his play is good on the marlies and we find a spot.

I don't know what all this talk about leafs contract and NTC with respect to ranger is at this point. It's plausible that his highest priority is to be near his friends and family, and would rather work his ass off, get back in game shape with respect all aspects, and go for a contract with the club he wants rather than live and play where he doesn't.

crump 10-26-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Ranger only wants to play in Toronto right now. To the point I'd think he'd rather play for the Marlies than another NHL city. That may change.

Ladies and gentlemen, Paul Ranger is in the house.:laugh:

TieClark 10-26-2012 09:13 AM

6-7 NHL d man I can see... Nothing more. Lets remember he's playing with gardiner right now...

achtungbaby 10-26-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Really? Do you really believe he would turn down a shot to play for the Bruins just because he loves Toronto so much??

Kirkpatrick 10-26-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 55296231)
Really? Do you really believe he would turn down a shot to play for the Bruins just because he loves Toronto so much??

Probably not, although he did walk away from the league (Tampa) for three years or so to come back to Toronto for undisclosed personal reasons, so it might be a bigger factor for him than most players.

Mess 10-26-2012 11:36 AM

Next to Jake Gardiner, I believe Mike Kostka as been the next best Marlie this season to date.

I think he is catching the eye of Leafs management by his performance, and may be given a future opportunity to show what he can do at the NHL level upon recall.

If he is competing with Komisarek, unsigned Franson or rookie Holzer for a 3rd pairing role, he might get a look.

gabeliscious 10-26-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 55296769)
Next to Jake Gardiner, I believe Mike Kostka as been the next best Marlie this season to date.

I think he is catching the eye of Leafs management by his performance, and may be given a future opportunity to show what he can do at the NHL level upon recall.

If he is competing with Komisarek, unsigned Franson or rookie Holzer for a 3rd pairing role, he might get a look.

id take him over all of those players you listed.

GordieHoweHatTrick 10-26-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crump (Post 55293747)
Ladies and gentlemen, Paul Ranger is in the house.:laugh:

Plan the parade!

I joke.

Seems like every player gets a NTC nowadays so why not Paul Ranger.

I don't joke.

Guy wants to play only in Toronto so if he succeeds why not give him the security he wants. It's not like he'll cost much

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 55296231)

Yes, yes he would

zeke 10-26-2012 12:56 PM

don't count on it.

Drew311 10-26-2012 01:05 PM

He's like Lashoff. Not good enough to be a top 4 defenseman, and of not much use to a team as a bottom pairing guy. I think most bottom pairing d-men are simply relied upon to play 12 minutes a game of steady defensive hockey, not be a guy that rushes the puck and takes chances. He wouldn't be someone that would get any power play time either, so I don't see him as a fit. Would rather have Fraser for his physical/fighting abilities.

DaveT83* 10-26-2012 01:15 PM

Give everyone .... a NTC

SuperJayMann 10-26-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveT83 (Post 55298931)
Give everyone .... a NTC

If he gets a cottage in Muskoka then chances are the NTC will follow.

Suntouchable13 10-26-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperJayMann (Post 55304225)
If he gets a cottage in Muskoka then chances are the NTC will follow.

Yea, I am sure that Pavel Kubina and Mats Sundin had cottages in Muskoka :rolleyes:

Predaleafs 10-27-2012 12:30 PM

I heard somewhere, don't quote me on it though, that Ranger lost interest in hockey that's why he left, so signing with the Marlies keeps him close to his home without the pressure of always being judged.

Playing for the Marlies is better than the Rangers or Bruins for the main reason that he can stay close to home, find his love for the game and not be constantly judged or pressure of the NHL.

If he left just because he lost the heart needed the Marlies are the best way to go. He still makes an excellent paycheque and can avoid the scrutiny of whenever he makes a mistake.

Leafidelity 10-27-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Makes perfect sense to me, not sure why others cant see it.

TheProspector 10-27-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPunch (Post 55323905)
Makes perfect sense to me, not sure why others cant see it.

Hilarious.

Paul Ranger would sign any NHL deal that came along. He'd play for the Phoenix Coyotes this year if they'd give him a contract. It's the difference between 70k and 700k a year.

Dougie Gilmour 10-27-2012 05:05 PM

Last time I read the title of this forum it was about Kostka ....but since we are on the topic of Paul Ranger, for the ones that say he will play anywhere in the NHL if he got a contract, stop talking out of your ass for a second and go watch his interview that he did with leafs tv. Then you guys can make his decisions for him since you guys are hockey agents.