HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   10/26 - NHLPA Statement from Don Fehr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276049)

Fugu 10-26-2012 02:40 PM

10/26 - NHLPA Statement from Don Fehr

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/nhlpa-statement-from-don-fehr

Quote:

NHLPA Statement from Don Fehr
By NHLPA Staff //
October 26, 2012 //
CBA Updates, Media Releases

TORONTO (October 26, 2012) – Don Fehr, National Hockey League Players’ Association Executive Director, released the following statement regarding the NHL’s decision to withdraw its October 16, 2012 proposal and cancel further regular season games:

“The league officially informed us today that they have withdrawn their latest proposal and have cancelled another slate of regular season games. This is deeply disappointing for all hockey fans and everyone who makes their living from hockey, including the players. But it comes as no surprise.

Last week the owners gave us what amounts to a "take-it-or-leave-it" proposal. We responded with the framework for three proposals on the players’ share, each of which moved significantly, towards their stated desire for a 50-50 split of HRR, with the only condition being that they honour contracts they have already signed. Honouring contracts signed between owners and players is a reasonable request. Unfortunately, after considering them for only 10 minutes they rejected all of our proposals.

Since then, we have repeatedly advised the owners that the players are prepared to sit down and negotiate on any day, with no pre-conditions. The owners refused. They apparently are only interested in meeting if we first agree to everything in their last offer, except for perhaps a few minor tweaks and discussion of their “make whole” provision.

The message from the owners seems to be: if you don't give us exactly what we want, there is no point in talking. They have shown they are very good at delivering deadlines and demands, but we need a willing partner to negotiate. We hope they return to the table in order to get the players back on the ice soon.”

Iggy77 10-26-2012 02:42 PM

And unless the NHL is willing to discuss the NHLPA proposals, there's no point in meeting either.

Nice spin.

Fugu 10-26-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy77 (Post 55301079)
And unless the NHL is willing to discuss the NHLPA proposals, there's no point in meeting either.

Nice spin.

They were willing to discuss Make Whole, but not to accept the proposal in its entirety. Who's spinning and what?

Iggy77 10-26-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55301111)
They were willing to discuss Make Whole, but not to accept the proposal in its entirety. Who's spinning and what?

I'm just saying it's spin on both sides, Fehr is only willing discuss his proposals much like the NHL is only willing to discuss theirs.

Lucbourdon 10-26-2012 02:47 PM

I officially hate somebody more then bettman, and I never knew that would be possible

Fugu 10-26-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy77 (Post 55301193)
I'm just saying it's spin on both sides, Fehr is only willing discuss his proposals much like the NHL is only willing to discuss theirs.

True dat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 55301211)
I officially hate somebody more then bettman, and I never knew that would be possible

I think Fehr's great. :laugh:

Habaneros 10-26-2012 02:50 PM

Time to lock it up.

Throw the gloves right off now,go for the salary cap .

No more dancing with NHL

Why wait, we all know NHL's next offer is going to be lower......

Go now ..

LeeIFBB 10-26-2012 02:51 PM

Fehr fiddles, NHL burns.

haveandare 10-26-2012 02:52 PM

For the millionth time, changing the percentage the players get does not equate to not honoring contracts. The contracts are all written to be dependent on the CBAs they're played under. Every single player knew this, or should have known this, when they signed their contracts.

T-Funk 10-26-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 55301211)

Agreed

These childish and dishonest tactics do no work in business.

No your offers did not move significantly in the owners direction and wah wah wah cry some more about the owners tossing your exact same offer in your face 4 times.

I question whether this guy is even dumber than the players, but maybe that is his plan so all the fan hate gets directed to him instead of the players.

Crease 10-26-2012 02:52 PM

Get your popcorn ready. If you're interested in labor law and the art of negotiations, this is some very compelling stuff.

KINGS17 10-26-2012 02:52 PM

Time for the NHL to take guaranteed contracts off the table, and go full blown NFL-style deal with their next proposal.

Contracts where an underperforming player can be cut, AND a hard salary cap.

I am still a proponent of increased revenue sharing among the owners. That is the issue Fehr should have been focused on, IMO.

Heaton 10-26-2012 02:53 PM

It's amazing to me how bullish both Bettman and Fehr can be while have zero ability to close any deal. Fehr is still arguing with McDonalds back from 1978 on whether or not he wants fries with his Big Mac.

Hanklite* 10-26-2012 02:54 PM

Oh the hypocrisy.

Fehr loves to say he is open to meet and negotiate yet he has never actually responded directly to any of the NHLs formal proposal.

Habaneros 10-26-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 55301399)
It's amazing to me how bullish both Bettman and Fehr can be while have zero ability to close any deal. Fehr is still arguing with McDonalds back from 1978 on whether or not he wants fries with his Big Mac.

here is going for the cap...

and remember what Fehr (Steve) thinks about disbanding union etc...

We're going for that battle in short order IMHO...

Gberg 10-26-2012 02:56 PM

oh no, the poor billionaires aren't able to push around the players...

cheswick 10-26-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Funk (Post 55301357)
Agreed

These childish and dishonest tactics do no work in business.

No your offers did not move significantly in the owners direction and wah wah wah cry some more about the owners tossing your exact same offer in your face 4 times.

I question whether this guy is even dumber than the players, but maybe that is his plan so all the fan hate gets directed to him instead of the players.

Works for Bettman

Shwag33 10-26-2012 02:56 PM

You know... not that this will happen, but it would be funny if Gary Bettman came out and announced that the league is disbanding.

You'd see the players break out into all out panic.

Rooverick* 10-26-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 55301111)

Daly clearly indicated that the PA was free to bring a proposal to the League...

optimus2861 10-26-2012 02:57 PM

Spin spin spinny spin spin.

Fehr's got the losing hand here, he just hasn't realized it yet. Apparently not even lopping off about a quarter of the schedule has gotten that through to him. So much for his supposed genius negotiating skills.

Heaton 10-26-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooverick (Post 55301507)
Daly clearly indicated that the PA was free to bring a proposal to the League...

The NHLPA doesn't bring new proposals, they just are using that Verizon commercial tactic and keep explaining their existing ones in different ways. Bar graph or Pie Chart, same info, we get it.

Habaneros 10-26-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooverick (Post 55301507)

and in 3 mins rejected..lol why bother?

T-Funk 10-26-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 55301491)
Works for Bettman

That's what I mean. Maybe the players are ok dragging this on forever as long as he takes the fall.

Habaneros 10-26-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimus2861 (Post 55301541)
Spin spin spinny spin spin.

Fehr's got the losing hand here, he just hasn't realized it yet. Apparently not even lopping off about a quarter of the schedule has gotten that through to him. So much for his supposed genius negotiating skills.

why do you think that?

I don't ...

Freudian 10-26-2012 03:00 PM

What? I thought it was an artificial deadline?