HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Pavel Rosa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=127611)

UWSaint 02-04-2005 10:56 AM

Pavel Rosa
 
What can you guys tell me about Rosa? IIRC, he led the AHL in points last season (or came pretty close). This year he is among the scoring leaders in what is arguably the best league in the world (and vastly outproducing teammates like Datsyuk and Ovechkin). A few years back he left North America to play in Finland, where he put up very impressive numbers.

And in the midst of all this production, he put in a couple games in each of the last two seasons for a Kings team decimated by injury.

I know he is small, but being small alone does not explain the failure to jump to the NHL--especially when he has demonstrated the ability to dominate the AHL and excel in Russia.

So what's his story? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he under contract? Have the Kings ever tried to unload him to another team and found that there is no market? Was he protected from the waiver draft last season? And is he still Kings property?

Old Hickory 02-04-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWSaint
So what's his story? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he under contract? Have the Kings ever tried to unload him to another team and found that there is no market? Was he protected from the waiver draft last season? And is he still Kings property?

The Kings coaching staff and front office are sour on him. He played a lot in the 98-99 season and didn't make the team the next year.
After a year or two in Europe he begged the Kings for another chance. He played in a few NHL games last season. He was sent down quickly and one of his team mates from Manchester (Scott Barney) was upset he didn't get more of a chance.
He is currently a free agent. I read a story on him last year on NHL.com where he said 03-04 was "NHL or bust" for him.
He is one of those players like Steve Kelly that was an AHL player that wasn't eligible to play in the AHL this year. So like Steve Kelly, he is in Europe

Jason MacIsaac 02-09-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
The Kings coaching staff and front office are sour on him. He played a lot in the 98-99 season and didn't make the team the next year.
After a year or two in Europe he begged the Kings for another chance. He played in a few NHL games last season. He was sent down quickly and one of his team mates from Manchester (Scott Barney) was upset he didn't get more of a chance.
He is currently a free agent. I read a story on him last year on NHL.com where he said 03-04 was "NHL or bust" for him.
He is one of those players like Steve Kelly that was an AHL player that wasn't eligible to play in the AHL this year. So like Steve Kelly, he is in Europe

I think it was a stupid move by Los Angeles. A team like Atlanta should pounce on this kid and give him a chance much like Savard needed.

King Blazer 02-09-2005 08:25 AM

My guess is that it's going to take a one-way contract to get Rosa back to North America and I don't know if teams will be willing to take that chance...

bland 02-09-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
I think it was a stupid move by Los Angeles. A team like Atlanta should pounce on this kid and give him a chance much like Savard needed.

You are assuming that the Kings didn't make an effort to move Rosa.

There are certainly reasons why players like Rosa and Steve Maltais don't succeed at a higher level, but dominate in lesser leagues. Granted, his performance this season may earn him another shot with a different club.

KINGLEWOOD 02-09-2005 09:26 PM

I honestly think he wasn't given a true shot by the Kings, in fact I remember last year in a game vs. Dallas he was scrtched from the line up and Jon Sim played on a line with Stumpel and Frolov. I know he might not be the fastest skater but he does have the skill to produce even in the NHL.

I was hoping the Kings would trade him to a young team like Pittsburg or Atlanta where it would benefit both Rosa and the club. It seemed however that the Kings wanted Rosa in the AHL, really as an investment so that players such as Cammy, Lehoux and Barney would be able to learn from a veteran pro. It's the same reason they've had Muir, Kelly, and now Smyth. Just my opinion.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.