HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   OT: Premier League is headed to NBCSN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276131)

IU Hawks fan 10-26-2012 05:39 PM

OT: Premier League is headed to NBCSN

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...10/26/EPL.aspx

Finally some good news for our nation's national hockey partner.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eal/index.html - confirmation link

AdmiralsFan24 10-26-2012 05:50 PM

That would be a pretty big get for NBCSN. The EPL is pretty popular in the states and if they got exclusive rights to it, it could help them immensely.

Krishna 10-26-2012 05:53 PM

Now they just need to get another sport like baseball or football on there so there's less hunting shows.

I don't expect them to show many teams other than Man U, Arsenal, and chelsea

jkrdevil 10-26-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55306873)
Now they just need to get another sport like baseball or football on there so there's less hunting shows.

Add Tottenham with Dempsey.

They already lost out on baseball.

Confucius 10-26-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55306873)

Liverpool?

chasespace 10-26-2012 06:05 PM

If they show it regularly, unlike ESPN, that would be massive. Otherwise I'd stick to tuning into Fox Soccer.

Krishna 10-26-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stix and Stones (Post 55307003)
Liverpool?

I just threw out the top 3 teams that are shown on regular tv here

cutchemist42 10-26-2012 06:08 PM

Also saw today the Big East are taking their conference to the open market. Anyone think NBC would want the BE?

The Note 10-26-2012 06:09 PM

I'd be so pumped if they started showing EPL games. That'd be big for them

wildthing202 10-26-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 55306541)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...10/26/EPL.aspx

Finally some good news for our nation's national hockey partner.

What a shocker NBC overpaying for sports again. Couldn't get MLB, overpays for English soccer.

AdmiralsFan24 10-26-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 55307221)
Also saw today the Big East are taking their conference to the open market. Anyone think NBC would want the BE?

They're showing the most interest even though the Big East is going to be terrible moving forward.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/176015771.html

Haute Couturier 10-26-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasespace (Post 55307171)
If they show it regularly, unlike ESPN, that would be massive. Otherwise I'd stick to tuning into Fox Soccer.

Fox Soccer lost the rights.

cutchemist42 10-26-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 55307531)
They're showing the most interest even though the Big East is going to be terrible moving forward.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/176015771.html

Hmm? You mean off the field or on the field? On the field is why most people watch CFB games.

AdmiralsFan24 10-26-2012 06:33 PM

On the field. The Big East got raided by the ACC, so they lost a couple of good football schools and some really good basketball schools.

cutchemist42 10-26-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 55307851)
On the field. The Big East got raided by the ACC, so they lost a couple of good football schools and some really good basketball schools.

Are you referring to old members like Miami/VT or Pitt/Syracuse? Boise with a new stadium will likely be going to a playoff spot sooner before FSU or any other ACC school. The BE has been on par with the ACC for awhile and got rid of two bad-decent football schools and added a top 10 football school. Houston getting a new stadium too will be good for the BE.

IMO, Boise/Cinci/Lousiville>>>FSU/Clemson/VT on the field.

RaiderDoug 10-26-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 55308637)

Holy crap. Holy...crap. Someone actually really typed this.

Anyways, back on topic - More soccer on TV - Insomniacs Rejoice!!!!!!

I will say, that i'm as big a soccer hater as there is on the planet, but I'm glad for NBCSN - anything that makes them stronger and more able to take on the ESPN juggernaut makes me happy. Maybe if we ever see hockey again, NBCSN will be even more prominent because of this.

Brodie 10-26-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 55308637)
Are you referring to old members like Miami/VT or Pitt/Syracuse? Boise with a new stadium will likely be going to a playoff spot sooner before FSU or any other ACC school. The BE has been on par with the ACC for awhile and got rid of two bad-decent football schools and added a top 10 football school. Houston getting a new stadium too will be good for the BE.

Those schools lack of name power always hurts them in the polls and Boise is still not firmly committed for them. Plus losing Notre Dame has hurt their standing with NBC, meaning they might not offer more than market rate anyway. It's not like the Mountain West with TCU, Boise, BYU and Utah did much for them and the new Big East is barely better. And god help them if the Big 12 ever goes for Louisville and Cincinnati as people have predicted.

This is a huge win for NBCSN. Plenty of EPL matches rate on par with or even better than NHL regular season games. And the increased exposure will only spur more growth. I just hope QPR us there... sigh

cutchemist42 10-26-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderDoug (Post 55308859)
Holy crap. Holy...crap. Someone actually really typed this.

Anyways, back on topic - More soccer on TV - Insomniacs Rejoice!!!!!!

I will say, that i'm as big a soccer hater as there is on the planet, but I'm glad for NBCSN - anything that makes them stronger and more able to take on the ESPN juggernaut makes me happy. Maybe if we ever see hockey again, NBCSN will be even more prominent because of this.

Objectively show me what those three ACC teams have done that's been better then what Louisville or Boise has accomplished in the last 8-10 years.

Boise St alone has 2 BCS wins to match the ACC's 2 BCS wins, and Boise (along with KState) got screwed out of BCS appearances they deserved if money did not talk.

wildthing202 10-26-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 55309293)
Objectively show me what those three ACC teams have done that's been better then what Louisville or Boise has accomplished in the last 8-10 years.

Boise St alone has 2 BCS wins to match the ACC's 2 BCS wins, and Boise (along with KState) got screwed out of BCS appearances they deserved if money did not talk.

Played BCS teams rather than beating up on mid-majors. Win a BCS conference championship game. Have an home game attended by more than 60,000 people. Higher academic ranking with actual standards.
***** in the seats > money. That's why VT was taken, since their fans show up for bowl games.

Brodie 10-26-2012 08:57 PM

let's not go crazy here

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_66iK3oDC-1...onshipGame.jpg

Dado 10-26-2012 09:06 PM

That's a big stadium. Attendance for that game was over 50k.

AdmiralsFan24 10-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 55312073)
That's a big stadium. Attendance for that game was over 50k.

That stadium holds like 75,000 or something. I could buy 20k.

chasespace 10-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haute Couturier (Post 55307573)
Fox Soccer lost the rights.

When do they lose coverage? EPL games are still on the channel guide for this weekend.

Brodie 10-26-2012 09:11 PM

Announced attendance was, but the reality is there are probably 30,000 people in that shot. Boise State, Louisville and Cincy all sold out their BCS bowl games fwiw

this is way off topic, though guys. back to the NBCSN

cutchemist42 10-26-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildthing202 (Post 55310997)
Played BCS teams rather than beating up on mid-majors. Win a BCS conference championship game. Have an home game attended by more than 60,000 people. Higher academic ranking with actual standards.
***** in the seats > money. That's why VT was taken, since their fans show up for bowl games.

The ACC is not that strong of a league, the components of that division barely differentiate it from the MWC let alone the BE. There's no problem in admitting it, it's a basketball conference first.

CG means nothing too if the conference is not deep, Big12 has no conference game and it can be argued they are the best conference.

I'm not even arguing academics because maybe !% of people watching football care about that.

Everyone knew Kansas St and Boise got screwed last year because of a crappy system, I don't see the point in arguing over the BCS creating uncompelling matchups.