HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gaudreau hopes to add gold medal after winning national championship (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276159)

HF Article 10-26-2012 06:15 PM

Gaudreau hopes to add gold medal after winning national championship

After being cut from the United States World Junior team last winter, John Gaudreau had doubts about his hockey career.  But in fact, being cut has helped Gaudreau take his game to the next level for Boston College.

He made the final roster for Team USA, but was one of four forwards cut right before the 2012 World Junior Championship started last winter. Some players may have taken away a very negative approach from that experience; Gaudreau was upset, but he didn’t let it impact his season, and in fact, Gaudreau’s play improved.

“I am actually really thankful I got cut because I came back to BC upset,” Gaudreau said.… read more

More...

tfong 10-26-2012 07:05 PM

Nice read, thanks.

Richard Murray 10-31-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfong (Post 55308523)
Nice read, thanks.

thanks!

Rolen 10-31-2012 09:33 PM

Gaudreau is such a diverse prospect. His creativity and hockey sense are exceptional. If he was a few inches taller he would be considered a top prospect in the NHL, although if he was a few inches taller I don't know if he would be with the flames.

The teams he is with couldn't be any better though. BC has seen guys like Gionta and Gerbe go through their system and Calgary has had guys like St. Louis and Fleury come through their team.

StreakingRed 11-01-2012 10:00 PM

Good read. Gaudreau is a prospect to be excited about.

It's nice to be excited by upcoming prospects, something that was missing under Darryl Sutter's tenure (with the exception of Phaneuf).

MVW 11-01-2012 11:57 PM

How awesome would it be to see a top line of Gaudreau, Jankow, and Sven in 2-3 years? While its somewhat a long shot, it does have the potential to happen if these guys develop properly and could potentially rival the Oilers young guns. I also feel quite confident that Reinhart will be an exceptional #2C at some point. There is reason to be optimistic in Calgary.

nogger 11-02-2012 05:55 PM

Maybe if we win the lockout lottery we could put Mackinnon as our 2C haha.

Sean Monahan 11-02-2012 07:10 PM

I'd be happy with Shinkaruk.....the kid is legit

Baerstchi Jankowski Shinkaruk

yuck

FlamesFreak4 11-02-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 55471537)
Maybe if we win the lockout lottery we could put Mackinnon as our 2C haha.

only thing putting me at ease about the lockout. our chance at the #1

tfong 11-03-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 (Post 55480645)

Who you fooling? Edmonton is going to get it :P

Haatley 11-03-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfong (Post 55483923)
Who you fooling? Edmonton is going to get it :P

I feel like i remember reading something about edmonton not being eligible for number one overall if theres no season because of all the first picks theyve had recently. could be mistaken though.

FlamesFreak4 11-03-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haatley (Post 55485655)
I feel like i remember reading something about edmonton not being eligible for number one overall if theres no season because of all the first picks theyve had recently. could be mistaken though.

that is correct, but i believe he is kidding lol

If they use the same format from 04-05 in the event of a full season lockout, the draft order will be determined by the amount of playoff appearances and 1st overall picks teams have had in the last 3 years.

Flames CBA Guy 11-03-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 (Post 55480645)

Don't worry. Feaster will trade down to grab a late first and another second rounder. :sarcasm:

TheHudlinator 11-03-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haatley (Post 55485655)

They can still win it but have a very low chance if we do it the same way as 04. Every team got 3 goals for the lottery but lost 1 for each year they made the playoffs or had the first overall pick in the last 3 years until they were left with one. So the Oilers would have 1 ball just like the Red Wings.

Noori 11-03-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla (Post 55473449)
I'd be happy with Shinkaruk.....the kid is legit

Baerstchi Jankowski Shinkaruk

yuck

I'd rather the Flames stay away from Shinkaruk. Not the kind of character we're looking for in this organization.

It's a deep draft and plenty of talent should be available. And if the Flames draft high, they'll have some very tough choices to make.

If the lockout lasts all year, I'd love top to be in the top 4 and get one of MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, or Barkov but beyond them there are plenty of awesome players as well.

Quote:

After being cut from the United States World Junior team last winter, John Gaudreau had doubts about his hockey career.
I don't really see it. This guy has been out to prove everyone wrong since day one.

Backlund 11-03-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noori (Post 55488285)
I'd rather the Flames stay away from Shinkaruk. Not the kind of character we're looking for in this organization.

It's a deep draft and plenty of talent should be available. And if the Flames draft high, they'll have some very tough choices to make.

If the lockout lasts all year, I'd love top to be in the top 4 and get one of MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, or Barkov but beyond them there are plenty of awesome players as well.

I don't really see it. This guy has been out to prove everyone wrong since day one.

What exactly do you mean by that? Everything I've read about him doesn't indicate any character problems.

Noori 11-03-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backlund (Post 55498307)
What exactly do you mean by that? Everything I've read about him doesn't indicate any character problems.

I'm friends with people that know him and they don't exactly have a lot of good things to say about him.

MVW 11-04-2012 12:43 AM

I'd be over the moon if we somehow landed Monahan. I think he may end up being the best forward of next years draft.

TheHudlinator 11-04-2012 11:55 AM

If we can't get Jones or MacKinnon I would want Barkov or Monahan.

Richard Murray 11-04-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noori (Post 55488285)

He said that after he was cut from the WJC team. He was pretty upset, but it helped to turn around his season he also mentioned.

“I was down about myself and didn’t think I was capable of playing in this league. I was not playing well playing for BC before I left, but ever since then my game has taken off.” - Gaudreau