HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Pickup Hockey (or beer leagues) and supplements (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276173)

yankeecpt15 10-26-2012 06:59 PM

Pickup Hockey (or beer leagues) and supplements

although it's either done for fun or a little competition, does anyone take or recommend pre/post game supplements other than hops in a bottle?

SCBruCrew4 10-26-2012 07:24 PM

Post game I actually like the new Gatorade Chocolate protein shakes. It's tasty.

Beezeral 10-26-2012 08:30 PM

I put beer in the water bottle I have on top of my net.

Diamondillium 10-26-2012 09:06 PM

I love the contrast between those posts

PierreMcGuire* 10-26-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 (Post 55308997)
Post game I actually like the new Gatorade Chocolate protein shakes. It's tasty.

The what? How new are they?

SCBruCrew4 10-27-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 55312261)
The what? How new are they?

I have no clue how new they are but only recently have I seen them in the grocery stores around here in Boston. I'd say sometime around summer they started popping up.

JoeCool16 10-27-2012 12:43 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_SS500_.jpg

This thing? I've seen them, but never tried. I'm going to have to now, you've made it seem tasty!

Bengerm77 10-27-2012 01:33 AM

I sometimes eat a snickers in the car on my way to the rink

SCBruCrew4 10-27-2012 03:32 AM

http://www.buythecase.net/uploads/pr...5200013418.jpg

Actually this. It's in the tetra pak. (Cardboard carton) Probably the same thing, but I've only seen the tetra pak's.

KidRobot 10-28-2012 02:11 AM

If you're a bit sleepy pop a caffeine pill.

PierreMcGuire* 10-28-2012 03:46 AM

I guess I got to try some Gatorade Chocolate Protein Shake.

tarheelhockey 10-28-2012 09:06 PM

For 10:30 games, I drink a cup of coffee on the way to the rink. Gives me a little extra jump in my step while everyone else is yawning.

JR97 10-29-2012 10:26 AM

For the drive in I do a scoop of creatine in the water bottle. Maybe some coffee. I don't do energy drinks very often if ever. Post game supplements and re-hydration is pretty standard. PBR. Maybe some Natty Ice. Bud light if we're feeling rich. Some of my Park City team maties usually bring the good stuff. Microbrews, Stellas, etc. I like that team. :)

Ozolinsh_27 10-29-2012 12:51 PM

Protein shake, piece of fruit and 5-10g of fish oil post game works wonders for recovery. :)

JohnnyBerts 10-30-2012 02:08 PM

Gatorades and Powerades are full of crap - the biggest winner is the dentist who will wipe the sugar coating off your teeth after repeated use.

After a workout/game you want a nice dose of electrolytes. The healthiest will be coconut water (or water) and take a teaspoon of sea salt to replenish what you lost. That is the quickest way to replenish. Afterwards eat something with 10-20g of protein. If you can go to an organic food store and pickup a protein cookie with hemp/chia/flax you will be better off. I make my own cookies with natural ingredients and eat one in the changeroom while the guys are downing 2 or 3 beer before lagging their pot bellies into the shower.

For the guys who like to drink coffee for the caffeine boost, remember coffee is a diuretic, meaning it will drain you of bodily liquids. If you only drink coffee, you'll notice later that you may have to pee moreso than if you only had water. Make sure you drink a glass of water before drinking a cup of coffee to diminish the effect of drying out your body.

HockeyThoughts 10-30-2012 03:59 PM

I tend to drink tons of water throughout the day (I literally don't touch my waterbottle during the game as a result) and about 30mins before the game I'll drink a Pre-workout drink.

My first foray into the world of pre-workout supplements was:
-MusclePharm Assault

I just ordered Fierce Domination by S.A.N. which has been come highly recommended to me.

While the pre-workout drink did give me some jitters before the game started but I had an abundance of energy and intensity for the duration of the game.

tarheelhockey 10-30-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBerts (Post 55399877)
For the guys who like to drink coffee for the caffeine boost, remember coffee is a diuretic, meaning it will drain you of bodily liquids. If you only drink coffee, you'll notice later that you may have to pee moreso than if you only had water. Make sure you drink a glass of water before drinking a cup of coffee to diminish the effect of drying out your body.

That's good advice. To be clearer about my post above, I'll usually drink at least 3 glasses of water in the hour before I leave for the rink, then a cup of coffee on the way.

Jackson12 10-30-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondillium (Post 55312075)
I love the contrast between those posts

:laugh:

SCBruCrew4 10-30-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkEye (Post 55403163)
How is the Gatorade protein shake any different from the protein shakes I make at home? Aside from the obvious higher price per ounce.

Probably no difference at all. I just like it for the convenience and the taste. It tastes like legit chocolate milk...which is more than what I can say for the protein shakes I've made at home. Again it's 20g of protein and tastes good...for the $2.50 I spend on it...I'm happy

Gino 14 10-31-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 55404895)
That's good advice. To be clearer about my post above, I'll usually drink at least 3 glasses of water in the hour before I leave for the rink, then a cup of coffee on the way.

While drinking water is a great idea, you might find it more helpful to start several hours before the game so the water actually has more of a chance to get into your system and hydrate you.

CornKicker 10-31-2012 12:30 PM

vodka + water before games

TLow97 11-01-2012 09:57 AM

http://images.productwiki.com/upload...ergy_drink.jpg

I find these phenomenal. They taste like gummy bears and they don't make you crash. Just the right boost I'd say, and it's all natural/semi organic. You can purchase the certified organic variety as well. You can find them at Vitamin Shoppe or, if you're a member, at Lifetime Fitness by the can. Sold by the case at Amazon.

Guffaw 11-03-2012 10:46 AM

C4 pre workout mix 30min pre game.

High glycemic carbs with some protein right after. Usually 2 bananas in a protein shake does the trick. Chocolate milk has been my go to when I don't have time to make something at home.

RoninNYR 11-03-2012 05:53 PM

Trying to keep it as paleo as possible I have found it hard to not eat whole wheat or multi grain pasta ~24 hours before... can anyone help me find a substitute?

For after I make a high quality protein shake (says organic and all natural but it's probably b.s.), Banana, coconut milk and H20.

I know the after thing works because I can play 3 nights in a row and be good.. (again assuming i'm eating more pasta than I want to be).

If i don't have that shake or miss one component even back to back games can be rough.

Splitbtw 11-04-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 55486507)
C4 pre workout mix 30min pre game.

High glycemic carbs with some protein right after. Usually 2 bananas in a protein shake does the trick. Chocolate milk has been my go to when I don't have time to make something at home.

How is C4?

As long as I didn't use it for lifting, I'll usually drink some NO Xplode and partake in a little holistic healing. Creates a rather unique zen-like state and I want to skate like the wind for hours.