HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Post your top ten players of All-time (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276235)

Fred Taylor 10-26-2012 10:20 PM

Post your top ten players of All-time

Here's mine.

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bobby Orr
4. Gordie Howe
5. Dominik Hasek
6. Bobby Hull
7. Doug Harvey
8. Jean Beliveau
9. Ray Bourque
10. Patrick Roy

I'd be interested to see how other peoples lists differ from mine.

Hardyvan123 10-26-2012 10:28 PM

I'd put Lidstrom in ahead of Jean or maybe Harvey but I also have a hard time even putting positional players and goalies on the same lists.

I imagine almost all lists would have at least 7 or 8 of these guys on it though.

Killion 10-26-2012 11:04 PM

... *ok, I'll play.

1. Orr
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Howe
5. Lidstrom
6. Richard
7. Hull
8. Harvey
9. Beliveau
10.Bourque, Dionne, Lafleur, Yzerman, Mikita, Shore... cheated.

*as the books title says, Goalies are a
BreedApart. Different criteria applied....

Hawkey Town 18 10-27-2012 01:13 AM

Doing Skaters Only...

1. Gretzky
2. Orr
3. Howe
4. Lemieux
5. Harvey
6. Hull
7. Beliveau
8. Bourque
9. Shore
10. Richard

As I said above, I didn't include goalies, but my first two would be Roy and Hasek, and I feel pretty comfortable saying they would be outside the top 7...not sure after that.

I think the toughest choice on here is Orr/Howe.

Dreakmur 10-27-2012 01:25 AM

Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Ray Bourque
Doug Harvey
Bobby Hull
Jean Beliveau
Nicklas Lidstrom
DominiK Hasek

VerySuperFamous 10-27-2012 01:47 AM

Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Shore
Hasek
Sawchuk
Dionne
Bossy
Hull

Czech Your Math 10-27-2012 02:15 AM

Skaters, in alphabetical, rather than exact order:

1-4: Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Orr
5-8: Beliveau, Bourque, Hull, Jagr
9-10: 2 of Harvey, Lidstrom, Mikita, Potvin, Richard, etc.

Really can't understand how someone could rank Dionne over Jagr, and I was a big fan of Dionne (although more at that time than now).

Dreakmur 10-27-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czech Your Math (Post 55316551)

Really can't understand how someone could rank Dionne over Jagr, and I was a big fan of Dionne (although more at that time than now).

Jagr should be easily ahead of Dionne. I've been waivering on the the Jagr vs. Rocket for a while, and I'm still not sure. Neither is in my top-10 though.

JackSlater 10-27-2012 03:54 AM

Orr
Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Bourque
Hull
Beliveau
Hasek
Richard
Jagr

Definitive list, until it changes in a few days time.

ficohok* 10-27-2012 07:18 AM

Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
M.Richard
Beliveau
Howe
Jagr
Hasek
Bourque
Kharlamov

Hawkey Town 18 10-27-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannheim (Post 55317551)
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
M.Richard
Beliveau
Howe
Jagr
Hasek
Bourque
Kharlamov

What's the argument for Richard and Beliveau over Howe?

Big Phil 10-27-2012 10:32 AM

Gretzky
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull
Harvey
Bourque
Richard
Shore

Hard to put goalies in there but if someone wants to see Hasek or Roy in the top 10 I can live with that. Jagr is just barely cut off as well.

For starters I have never seen an argument that held a lot of water for Gretzky being anything but #1. Secondly, Howe's 26 seasons trumps Orr's 10. Orr's 10 seasons trumps Lemieux and his injury plagued career as well. Bottom line, there are 4 players in NHL history that I would describe as being able to "run laps around the NHL". Orr did just that but Howe did it well too and was still a superstar for much longer. Mario had less time on the ice and I think overall you'd still have to put Orr ahead of him.

#5 is always the trickiest. I always like Beliveau there. Basically the perfect hockey player. There isn't a whole in his entire career or even a knock on his game. Won Cups, led the NHL in categories, captained the Cup champs, was a great goal scorer, was a great playmaker and was probably just as good in the postseason as Richard. Hull is behind him just because the 15 years he played in the NHL was epic. He might be a solid #5 if he never leaves for the WHA. But then again Beliveau was elite well into his 30s too. Can't have a list where Harvey isn't on there either and where there is Harvey there is always Bourque breathing down his neck. Unbelievable longevity for Bourque which is another reason why it is silly in my opinion to put Lidstrom ahead of him.

That leaves Shore and Richard. Shore only has two players in NHL history with more Hart Trophies. That says something right there. Probably has 6-7 Norrises as well had it existed. Then there is Richard. great in the regular season, was good for a long time but even better in the postseason. There are two players in NHL history (Gretzky and Roy) that I would consider to be better playoff performers and that's it. That counts for something. Richard scored plenty even if Montreal lost. 82 playoff goals is amazing with 4 rounds to play with but try having a career with just two rounds maximum. Unreal.

Big Phil 10-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 (Post 55319155)
What's the argument for Richard and Beliveau over Howe?

Ideally there really isn't any argument at all. Howe should be solidly ahead of both of them but since he posted it I'll let him make the argument

tommygunn 10-27-2012 11:00 AM

Skaters, no goalies..

Wayne Gretzky
Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Bobby Hull
Maurice Richard
Howie Morenz
Jean Beliveau
Doug Harvey
Eddie Shore

Hardyvan123 10-27-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

I like Dionne quite a bit but agree with you.

Taking the 2 goalies out of my list Potvin is one guy who would go on it.

pappyline 10-27-2012 06:14 PM

Here is mine:

Orr
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Hull
Harvey
Shore
Beliveau
Richard
Jagr

Killion 10-27-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

... completely forgot about him Old Man. My apologies. Rank
him 10th ALONG WITH Dionne and about a dozen others.

Crowded House is #10...

King Forsberg 10-27-2012 08:28 PM

The order of my top 5 is set for for awhile. I can't really see an argument to change it.

1. Wayne Grettzky
2. Gordie Howe
3. Bobby Orr
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull

After that it becomes a little less clear.

6 - 10

Jaromir Jagr
Maurice Richard
Eddie Shore
Jean Beliveau
Ray Bourque

kmad 10-27-2012 10:00 PM

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Bobby Hull
Beliveau
Harvey
Bourque
Maurice Richard
Hasek

Hardyvan123 10-27-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 55314517)
... *ok, I'll play.

1. Orr
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Howe
5. Lidstrom
6. Richard
7. Hull
8. Harvey
9. Beliveau
10.Bourque, Dionne, Lafleur, Yzerman, Mikita, Shore... cheated.

*as the books title says, Goalies are a
BreedApart. Different criteria applied....

I've been thinking about this a bit more and to be really fair one should split up goalies, dmen and forwards into 3 sperate camps or lists and like Slater my list flucuates a bit after the top guys from time to time. here are my 10 forwards as of now

Gretzky, Lemiuex, Beliveau, Hull, Richard, Jagr, Howe are locks (order not important) making the top 7

After that it's from a group that includes Makarov, Trottier, Dionne, Mikita and Morenz, Taylor, (although it's extremely hard to compare pre WW2 forwards in an overall context that's fair to both, Morenz had the peak and aura while Taylor had the overall career)

Hawkey Town 18 10-28-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 55330875)
... completely forgot about him Old Man. My apologies. Rank
him 10th ALONG WITH Dionne and about a dozen others.

Crowded House is #10...

What's the argument that puts Dionne on the same level as Jagr? That one seems about as easy as it gets and it's big time in favor of Jagr.

NHLsnipers 10-28-2012 01:03 AM

Born in the 80's so am not going too far back with respect to some of the older players who aren't on my list. No goalies either.

1. Gretzky
2. Lemieux
3. Orr
4. Jagr
5. Howe
6. Lidstrom
7. Hull
8. Bourque
9. Yzerman
10. Messier

NHLsnipers 10-28-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 (Post 55337485)
What's the argument that puts Dionne on the same level as Jagr? That one seems about as easy as it gets and it's big time in favor of Jagr.

All time points would be the only argument.

Too bad Jagr has 1994, 2005, 3 years in the KHL, and now potentially 1012. He could have been #2 in scoring all time.

Plante 10-28-2012 01:10 AM

1) Gretzky

2) Lemieux

3) Howe

4) Orr

5) Hull

6) Richard

7) Beliveau

8) Harvey

9) Jagr

10) Bourque

Richard over Beliveau Because of everything Grandpa et company said, as well as the hockey history books I've had the pleasure to read.

BenchBrawl 10-28-2012 01:35 AM

gretzky
orr
lemieux
howe
harvey
bourque
beliveau
roy
richard
hull