HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seth Griffith (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276329)

TheSeguinEra2010* 10-27-2012 06:17 AM

Seth Griffith

This kid seems to be ripping up the OHL right now and it seems he is flying under the radar here in Boston. Anyone have more information on him.

ODAAT 10-27-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55317339)
This kid seems to be ripping up the OHL right now and it seems he is flying under the radar here in Boston. Anyone have more information on him.

I suspect Dom (OOG) will be posting here in minutes;)

He`s been watching and speaking highly of Griffith for sometime now, me???? I watched him in about a half dozen games last year and made the declaration that, in spite of him popping goals, I wasn`t impressed, and he`d never be an NHL`er, believe whom you will, someone who`s watched him for years or me, word to the wise, if it`s me, you best give Dom and others who have watched him more than I have more attention.

For me I struggled with his skating, not sure it was/is NHL calibre, again, with a half dozen viewings, probably not an astute/accurate assesment on my behalf, kids off to a great start this season no doubt about it

Dellstrom 10-27-2012 08:38 AM

He's small and not a very good skater, but taking him was definitely a risk worth taking, if you ask me... His offensive skills are fantastic.

I'm not sure if his style will translate into the NHL, but he has a chance... He could be a very good player for this team. However, it's nothing but a good start for now. He won't be ready for a couple of years, hopefully he keeps up the pace.

Son of Donegal 10-27-2012 09:05 AM

I sit somewhere between ODAAT and OOG in terms of my feelings for Griffith. Love his skill set and IQ. But he is slow...even if he gets where he needs to be. The difference between the OHL and NHL is pretty staggering.

There is a reason scouts past him over two years ago...and fell to the 5th round this year.

But, if he grows up and picks up his intensity, he could make it...and it would be a steal of a bargain for the B's.

JMiller 10-27-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Donegal (Post 55318285)

I sit somewhere between ODAAT and OOG in terms of my feelings for Griffith. Love his skill set and IQ. But he is slow...even if he gets where he needs to be. The difference between the OHL and NHL is pretty staggering.

There is a reason scouts past him over two years ago...and fell to the 5th round this year.

But, if he grows up and picks up his intensity, he could make it...and it would be a steal of a bargain for the B's.

How do people think he compares to Camper- on the face of it they're both smart, skilled, small and slow yet they both seem to find a way to produce at every level so far.

Kirk- NEHJ 10-27-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Scouts said the same things about Adam Oates back in the day. And Mark Recchi.

Can't teach Griffith's high-end hockey sense and superior reflexes & hand-eye coordination.

He's going to be a player. Maybe not Hall of Fame caliber like those two, but I bet he makes it.

Trap Jesus 10-27-2012 09:55 AM

I'm more intrigued by Camara myself, even if he is on a stacked team. He bested his career high in goals 11 games into the season. I'm not jumping on the Lucic comparisons, but it's always nice to see a player really come into his own in such an important skillset.

Son of Donegal 10-27-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ (Post 55318693)

Can't teach Griffith's high-end hockey sense and superior reflexes & hand-eye coordination.

He's going to be a player. Maybe not Hall of Fame caliber like those two, but I bet he makes it.

I hope you are right, mon frere! We shall see!

Seth Griffith - make the show or the next Riendeau??

LOL

Kirk- NEHJ 10-27-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap Jesus (Post 55318759)
I'm more intrigued by Camara myself, even if he is on a stacked team. He bested his career high in goals 11 games into the season. I'm not jumping on the Lucic comparisons, but it's always nice to see a player really come into his own in such an important skillset.

Camara was a former 1st-round OHL draft pick, so he always had the skill/tools- was lacking in the toolbox (and I don't believe he has the natural hockey sense to maximize his offensive talent but that's just me). I don't think any who truly know or have seen him will argue that for a 1st-rounder, he was woefully underachieving/not meeting expectations until his fourth OHL season. Trends are not working in his favor, but who knows? He could be an outlier.

You should check out the thread on the Bruins prospects for an interesting discussion on Camara and why I'm not buying just yet. He was a reach, but at least he's justifying what the Boston scouts saw in him two years ago.

Central Scrutinizer 10-27-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ (Post 55318693)

Certain things you just can't teach, while other you can improve on. Luckily for Griffith, he can work on his weaknesses. And most players will never have is vision no matter how hard the work.

I'll take the player that can put the puck in the right areas and create time and space for his linemates.

Dom - OHL 10-28-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODAAT (Post 55317389)
I suspect Dom (OOG) will be posting here in minutes;)

I'll save it for the prospects thread ;)

Quote:

That's not somewhere between ODAAT and I, that's pretty much bang on to what I think.

I've been following Griffith since his Junior B days. He was my sleeper pick for the 2011 draft. Always knew he had offensive ability ( my pick to challenge the OHL scoring title with Monahan this year http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-h...oring-title--2 ) but have always said that I don't think that it translates to the NHL. ( at least in terms of the numbers he's putting up in the OHL )

His hockey sense is right up there. Watching him set up mates especially on the PP is magic. But skating is still an issue. It's improved over last season but not enough IMO. But it's a work in progress and it is something that can be improved. We'll just have to see where he max's out with it.

As a former lacrosse player, I've never minded his intensity. But it too is at another level this season and that may just be from spending some time with the Rupert twins. So we know the Bruins will rub off on him.

As long as Griffith continues upward on his development curve, he'll be just fine. And we know he has some serious chemistry with Jared Knight.

IMO, it'll all come down to how bad Griffith wants it and how hard he's willing to work at it.

Dom - OHL 10-28-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap Jesus (Post 55318759)

Like Kirk said, you should check out the prospects thread for some good reading on Camara.

I get that everyone is excited about what Bob McKenzie had to say about Camara. But like Kirk said, lets see him maintain it for a full season. His development curve has not been where it should have been for the past two seasons.

Bobby Mac also had some great things (far greater then what he said about Camara) about Tyler Graovac of the Ottawa 67's who was picked 4 rounds and 110 picks later.

As I said in the prospect thread, the two have had almost identical career stats going back to Midget and Graovac is slightly ahead of Camara this year. So if Camara was a steal in the third round, what does that make Graovac in the seventh?

Point is that the two are doing now what they should have done in the prior two seasons. Griffith on the other hand has shown a steady upward trend in his development curve. And ultimately, isn't that what you want to see from a prospect? There have been too many one and done seasons even at the OHL level.

Rookie Chargers 10-28-2012 10:56 AM

So, we should be happy for what we are seeing/reading. While we still don't know what we have. :)

:handclap: