HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lest We Forget (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276757)

eyeball11 10-28-2012 02:23 PM

Lest We Forget

To you from failing hands we throw the torch -
be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep.

Hurt 10-28-2012 02:32 PM

Show your support. Thank a serviceman/woman past and present for their effort. This is something that overrides all colours/races/genders etc because without them, we wouldn't have this amazing free country to live in. Lest we Forget what the men and women sacrificed for our freedoms.

htpwn 10-28-2012 04:49 PM

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.

-- Laurence Binyon

If you haven't already,
Buy a poppy, support our Vets.

eyeball11 10-28-2012 04:59 PM

...and for God's sake, stop and take the time to talk to them because they usually very much appreciate people giving them the time of day. As John Prine said:

"So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."

MoreMogilny 10-28-2012 06:29 PM

Alright. We don't need a political discussion here about what constitutes a hero.

This thread is about respecting and honouring the troops for what they have done for our country. We don't need this thread derailed with a bunch of bickering. Take it to the political forum.

Thanks.

summerstorm 10-28-2012 06:36 PM

if can't stand behind our troops....you are most welcome to stand in front of them!!!!

Predaleafs 10-28-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summerstorm (Post 55355427)
if can't stand behind our troops....you are most welcome to stand in front of them!!!!

As much as i respect anyone who is willing to fight for freedom and liberation and human rights and everytime i run into someone in the military always show some kind of gratitude for their mass amounts of courage to risk their lifes for whats right, this sayin has never made any sense. We should never cheer for war, we should never be happy war is upon.

I dont stand behind our troops, i stand behind the message that right is right and everyone deserves to be equal, whether you be a homosexual,woman,man from Canada or Iraq, born with a tail or deformity, we are all one. But i will never stand behind the message that going to war is right.

This message is saying the only options you have include war, which is some cases isnt always true.

I support what our troops fight for, but i dont support our troops killing innocent people.

Hurt 10-28-2012 08:17 PM

Keep the politically charged messages off this topic.

ECanuck 10-28-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 55358499)
Keep the politically charged messages off this topic.

Don't do that.

Is the lesson number one.

Emotions get in the way of reality.

Predaleafs 10-28-2012 09:05 PM

On another note, did something happen to start this thread or was it just random coincedence?

Hurt 10-28-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predaleafs (Post 55359979)
On another note, did something happen to start this thread or was it just random coincedence?

Remembrance day is a couple of weeks away, I assume that's why.

Whydidijoin* 10-28-2012 09:53 PM

Why is a thread about troops on a hockey forum in the first place? On top of that, why have it 2 weeks away from remembrance day? On top of that, how can you have a thread about troops and war, and then not allow political voices and opinions?

You don't post a thread on a DISCUSSION forum, and then disallow DISCUSSION, especially when the discussion has 0 relevance to the topic of the forum...

Hurt 10-28-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whydidijoin (Post 55361635)
Why is a thread about troops on a hockey forum in the first place? On top of that, why have it 2 weeks away from remembrance day? On top of that, how can you have a thread about troops and war, and then not allow political voices and opinions?

You don't post a thread on a DISCUSSION forum, and then disallow DISCUSSION, especially when the discussion has 0 relevance to the topic of the forum...

I'm going to go ahead and use this post as an example. You have two options:

1) Post something related to it that you're remembering them or wishing servicepeople well.

2) NOT POST ANYTHING AND GO TO ANOTHER TOPIC.

Now, these forums are private property. If the administrators told you to post about pink ponies, well guess what? You better post about pink ponies or they and people working with them have the right to remove you from the discussion.

Carry on.

Whydidijoin* 10-28-2012 10:09 PM

Alright. Kind of ironic, because that mentality is a big reason we have war in the first place, but respect to the troops that fought needed wars, and those that do so for the right reasons.

I wish all soldiers well on all sides, nobody likes to see anybody die, and hopefully we won't need them in due time.

Arathor 10-28-2012 10:25 PM

Remembrance day is not a message about wars. It's a reminder to be thankful to those who chose to serve their country and laid their life on the line so we can have what we have today.

Keep in mind that being in the military is the ONLY job in Canada where it is legal to be asked to do something in which you may die. The courage it takes to accomplish these tasks isn't something to take lightly.

Another thing, why is it 2 weeks away from remembrance day? Really who cares how far away it is because reality is EVERYDAY our men and women risk their lives for us. Does it hurt so much to do it a little early? But you don't complain about Christmas being shoved down our throats 2 months in advance. And what has shopping season done for you that our troops haven't?

I agree with the mods, if you don't like a thread, don't post in it. If you feel a need to, at least have some respect.

Whydidijoin* 10-28-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arathor (Post 55362625)
Remembrance day is not a message about wars. It's a reminder to be thankful to those who chose to serve their country and laid their life on the line so we can have what we have today.

Keep in mind that being in the military is the ONLY job in Canada where it is legal to be asked to do something in which you may die. The courage it takes to accomplish these tasks isn't something to take lightly.

Another thing, why is it 2 weeks away from remembrance day? Really who cares how far away it is because reality is EVERYDAY our men and women risk their lives for us. Does it hurt so much to do it a little early? But you don't complain about Christmas being shoved down our throats 2 months in advance. And what has shopping season done for you that our troops haven't?

I agree with the mods, if you don't like a thread, don't post in it. If you feel a need to, at least have some respect.

The military is not the only job in Canada where people are asked to do something where they may die. And no, military are not risking their lives every single day, and even fewer right now are fighting for our rights.

I also never showed a lack of respect for the troops, and I don't appreciate you suggesting otherwise. I just didn't see the reason why this is here. If a Rabbi bursts into a church and starts preaching his Jewish beliefs during a service, and you ask him to please do it elsewhere, that doesn't mean you hate or don't respect Jewish people. It means there is a time and place for everything.

If the mods have for some reason decided to allow it, whatever. That is their decision. But one of those rights fought for was the right to ask why.

Predaleafs 10-28-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whydidijoin (Post 55364405)
The military is not the only job in Canada where people are asked to do something where they may die. And no, military are not risking their lives every single day, and even fewer right now are fighting for our rights.

I also never showed a lack of respect for the troops, and I don't appreciate you suggesting otherwise. I just didn't see the reason why this is here. If a Rabbi bursts into a church and starts preaching his Jewish beliefs during a service, and you ask him to please do it elsewhere, that doesn't mean you hate or don't respect Jewish people. It means there is a time and place for everything.

If the mods have for some reason decided to allow it, whatever. That is their decision. But one of those rights fought for was the right to ask why.

I am willing to take the infraction, but i completly and whole-heartedly agree with this. Our troops are fighting a war in Iraq that we have no right in. There comes a point in time where fighting a war isnt needed yet still forced.

In 1939, we fought for the rights of a whole religion, so everyone was equal, which is what every human being deserves, but in 2009 we are fighting for what. Stating a dislike for a war is in no way bad-mouthing or disrespecting our troops, but stating how bad a war that makes no sense is.

Please mods, why delete posts yet keep the thread open. If people can state an opinion and not get deleted, we should be able to state ours and not get deleted. Its stupid to only allow one sided arguements.

eyeball11 10-29-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Firstly, I explained the strong ties the Maple Leafs have to the military but it was for some reason deleted?

Secondly, it is purposefully in advance because people spend far too little time thinking about these things. If people here spent a fraction of the time both thinking about and doing something about things that actually matter in life rather than whining incessantly about millionaires chasing rubber disks around on ice, the world might be a better place.

Thirdly, I wish people would get it through their heads that our troops do a lot more than wage war. In fact, our troops spend a large amount of time standing between other people who are waging war (not to mention the many things they do that have nothing to do with war).

dredeye 10-29-2012 05:58 AM

God bless our troops and their families for the sacrifices they've made for us.

htpwn 10-29-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predaleafs (Post 55364751)
I am willing to take the infraction, but i completly and whole-heartedly agree with this. Our troops are fighting a war in Iraq that we have no right in. There comes a point in time where fighting a war isnt needed yet still forced.

In 1939, we fought for the rights of a whole religion, so everyone was equal, which is what every human being deserves, but in 2009 we are fighting for what. Stating a dislike for a war is in no way bad-mouthing or disrespecting our troops, but stating how bad a war that makes no sense is.

Please mods, why delete posts yet keep the thread open. If people can state an opinion and not get deleted, we should be able to state ours and not get deleted. Its stupid to only allow one sided arguements.

"The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” -- General MacArthur

Soldiers don't choose wars. They don't choose who they fight. They don't choose why they fight. They simply fight, as directed by leadership who we ultimately elect.

Politics should have no place in this discussion. It's about honouring those who put their lives on the line in the name of their country, not the politicos in Ottawa who made the decisions of who, what, where, and why.

Jacob8hockey* 10-29-2012 06:53 AM

Wait, I thought Remembrance Day was about remembering those from WW1 and WW2. Even more specifcally WW1, which is where we get the date for remembering.

Shouldn't we stick with remembering those who sacrificed their life for literally millions of people.

Not taking away from current troops but I thought this was for another reason.

Anyways Lest we forget.

MajorityRules 10-29-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeball11 (Post 55367275)
Firstly, I explained the strong ties the Maple Leafs have to the military but it was for some reason deleted?

Secondly, it is purposefully in advance because people spend far too little time thinking about these things. If people here spent a fraction of the time both thinking about and doing something about things that actually matter in life rather than whining incessantly about millionaires chasing rubber disks around on ice, the world might be a better place.

Thirdly, I wish people would get it through their heads that our troops do a lot more than wage war. In fact, our troops spend a large amount of time standing between other people who are waging war (not to mention the many things they do that have nothing to do with war).

Just to back up your third comment, some recent things we (I'm still a serving member) as a military have done besides shooting people or waging war.

Hurricane relief for Newfoundland after Igor cut off dozens of communities. My ship (HMCS St Johns) was the first to respond as we were in St Johns when it hit.

Hurricane relief for Haiti in 2008 as well as earthquake relief for Haiti in 2010.

Hurricane relief for New Orleans after Katrina devastated them.

Our military was there for the ice storms in Quebec, the Red River flooding in Manitoba, the 1999 Toronto winter emergency, Hurricane Juan in Halifax, the 2003 power failure, the Saguenay river flood and far too many to mention Search and Rescue operations.

We are also huge contributors to the GCWCC - Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign along with too many to mention local support campaigns.

The best part about it is how many of us volunteer to do these things. There is nothing better than lending a helping hand to someone who really needs it.

Rusty Shackleford 10-29-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predaleafs (Post 55364751)

No we're not.

You should probably do some research so you come across a tad bit brighter next time you give that type of speech.

Drakkor 10-29-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Glad you are still able to speak your mind. Your welcome for that freedom. :)

RollTheBones109 10-29-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakkor (Post 55370047)
Glad you are still able to speak your mind. Your welcome for that freedom. :)

As long as what's on our minds is not political, of course ;)