HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1276827)

hockeyfan2k11 10-28-2012 05:59 PM

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

I mean, cease to exist.

I would love to see the league fold and see a new one start up. New commish, new rules, 20 teams, etc.

I would love to start from scratch.

mike14 10-28-2012 06:05 PM

as a theoretical exercise, to see what happens, yes I would.

In real life, no

King Woodballs 10-28-2012 06:06 PM

I dont know if I could get behind this.
I would like to see a few changes, but not enough to start a new league

BLONG7 10-28-2012 06:07 PM

Not a chance...the players would be lucky to see 30% of the revenue...

haseoke39 10-28-2012 06:07 PM

Yes, but I can't vote. Imagine one more "yes" vote.

FanSince2014 10-28-2012 06:08 PM

I'd like to see the NHLPA completely dissolve and to come back as a group who works on behalf of their own best interest.

hockeyfan2k11 10-28-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 55353001)
I dont know if I could get behind this.
I would like to see a few changes, but not enough to start a new league

I think the NHL is at a point where there needs to be a radical change and I don't think it will happen unless the league crumbles. There are far too many teams in bad markets. But I don't see the league getting rid of 10 teams. Bettman needs to go...but he's not going anywhere.

Fire Sather 10-28-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 55353033)
Not a chance...the players would be lucky to see 30% of the revenue...

that'd be awesome

Orrthebest 10-28-2012 06:11 PM

People are absolutely fooling themselves if they think a new league would not have the same problems as the current ones.

Orrthebest 10-28-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanSince2012 (Post 55353059)
I'd like to see the NHLPA completely dissolve and to come back as a group who works on behalf of their own best interest.

Best post of the thread.

Conflicted Habs fan 10-28-2012 06:14 PM

Essentially tanking the NHL is what Bettman wants to do since he can't get his beloved sunbelt teams to succeed. He's like "**** you all, if I can't have my way, everyone will suffer". Why remove the NHL when you can remove Bettman instead. Don Cherry would make a better Commish

CN_paladin 10-28-2012 06:14 PM

Just because of your anger and frustration that you want to destroy the strong momentum NHL has built? Hockey won't even be considered a "niche" sport in the States if the NHL dissolves.

Think it over.

hockeyfan2k11 10-28-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CN_paladin (Post 55353227)
Just because of your anger and frustration that you want to destroy the strong momentum NHL has built? Hockey won't even be considered a "niche" sport in the States if the NHL dissolves.

Think it over.

I felt this way even prior to this lockout.

hockeyfan2k11 10-28-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan (Post 55353213)
Essentially tanking the NHL is what Bettman wants to do since he can't get his beloved sunbelt teams to succeed. He's like "**** you all, if I can't have my way, everyone will suffer". Why remove the NHL when you can remove Bettman instead. Don Cherry would make a better Commish

I think Bettman is here to stay. I don't think he'll get pushed out. I see him retiring sort of like Stern.

Suntouchable13 10-28-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Think it over.

That's a laugh. Any momentum that was built by the league has long been destroyed by this current lockout.

Ducks DVM 10-28-2012 06:25 PM

Why would anyone want hockey to go away?

It would be hysterical if it did happen if the new professional model was a complete profit sharing model that fully eliminated any and all advantages of the large markets and made a team sink or swim based solely on team merits rather than market size and $$, however. If for no other reason than to stop threads pushing the "contract the markets I don't like" angle.

haveandare 10-28-2012 06:30 PM

Do I want to say goodbye to every franchise's name, jersey, logo, history etc, especially that of the Rangers, who I grew up following and being entertained by, because two months of hockey have been cancelled? No. No I don't.

dr robbie 10-28-2012 06:31 PM

This would suck immensely. The Stanley Cup. The original 6. Records. Rules. Everything would be different. I would probably stop following professional hockey all together. Not only that, but I have a pretty thick hockey collection (NHL). I can't imagine it going the way of the WHA. I would cry.

PierreMcGuire* 10-28-2012 06:34 PM

Not me.

Dado 10-28-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Hockey won't even be considered a "niche" sport in the States if the NHL dissolves.

OK.

Why would that necessarily be bad?

haveandare 10-28-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr robbie (Post 55353691)
This would suck immensely. The Stanley Cup. The original 6. Records. Rules. Everything would be different. I would probably stop following professional hockey all together. Not only that, but I have a pretty thick hockey collection (NHL). I can't imagine it going the way of the WHA. I would cry.

Exactly. People want to throw all of this away over frustration from a lockout thats been going on for two months? Knee jerk reaction.

I don't think there's even a chance that the league folds as a result of this negotiation. If a situation arose where league collapse was even on the distant horizon, one camp or the other would take a short-term raw deal to save the league as a whole. While people think that they're approaching collapse as is, they aren't even close to that situation. If this season is cancelled and there's still no deal as next season approaches, then they're flirting with disaster. As it is, it's a frustrating situation that some people are overreacting to in my opinion.

MoreOrr 10-28-2012 07:00 PM

Hey, look, the problem is with how the money is being distributed. No sense in dissolving the League when it has been experiencing record revenues. The League simply needs to get its economic arrangements in order, and if it does that without losing another whole Season then things should continue to be Ok.

hockeyfan2k11 10-28-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 55353509)
Why would anyone want hockey to go away?

It would be hysterical if it did happen if the new professional model was a complete profit sharing model that fully eliminated any and all advantages of the large markets and made a team sink or swim based solely on team merits rather than market size and $$, however. If for no other reason than to stop threads pushing the "contract the markets I don't like" angle.

It would go away just like it's going away now..only to come back bigger, stronger, better under a different badge.

YogiCanucks 10-28-2012 07:13 PM

I'm much rather see a well functioning NHL with no lockouts or strikes than see it dissolve..

haveandare 10-28-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 (Post 55354667)
It would go away just like it's going away now..only to come back bigger, stronger, better under a different badge.

and with different teams, histories, rules, records...

Also, it's not "going away" right now. Losing part of one season isn't equal to the entire league fading away. They lost a whole season in 2004 and came back strong.