HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sven Baertschi maintains status as Calgary Flames' top prospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1277161)

HF Article 10-29-2012 05:00 PM

Sven Baertschi maintains status as Calgary Flames' top prospect

The Calgary Flames prospect pool appears to be on the upswing. A blue-chip prospect on the verge of NHL stardom like Sven Baertschi will do that for an organization, of course, but there are also a handful of prospects who earned NHL experience during the club's 2011-12 campaign. The organization boasts several high-upside prospects developing at lower levels of play as well, giving the Flames as strong a pipeline as they have had in recent years.

Three 2012 draft picks make their debut in this edition of the Calgary Flames' Top 20 prospect rankings. While the team may not reap the benefits of these picks in the near future, all three have the ability to make an impact in the NHL down the road.… read more

More...

TheHudlinator 10-29-2012 05:06 PM

Good read thanks but I still personally think if John Gaudreau pans out he will be the best of our prospects. I think he is the most skilled forward prospect we have had since we traded for Iginla. I also think him at a 7.5 is a bit low but it doesn't really matter.

SmellOfVictory 10-29-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 55378143)
Good read thanks but I still personally think if John Gaudreau pans out he will be the best of our prospects. I think he is the most skilled forward prospect we have had since we traded for Iginla. I also think him at a 7.5 is a bit low but it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I'd put him at more like an 8.5D (and honestly I might put Baertschi at 8.5B rather than 8.0B, although their rating is pretty fair). Also Brodie 7.5C, and then a few tweaks with the other guys (Howse lower, Horak higher, etc).

InfinityIggy 10-29-2012 08:24 PM

Rolling through this list and seeing all the players I think highly of brought a smile to my face. I think Ferland is ahead of Nemisz at this point but good list overall.

Rolen 10-29-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 55383341)
Rolling through this list and seeing all the players I think highly of brought a smile to my face. I think Ferland is ahead of Nemisz at this point but good list overall.

I disagree with the bolded. Ferland is very overrated by flames fans for putting up a high amount of goals up, but he was playing alongside Mark Stone. Honestly I don't have high hopes for him and I can see him taking a Ryan Howse type path.

Nemisz has played in the NHL and his past few call ups he hasn't looked out of place. He's a very good complimentary player, and the reason Baertschi scored some of the goals he did in his NHL call-up.

InfinityIggy 10-29-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen (Post 55383613)
I disagree with the bolded. Ferland is very overrated by flames fans for putting up a high amount of goals up, but he was playing alongside Mark Stone. Honestly I don't have high hopes for him and I can see him taking a Ryan Howse type path.

Nemisz has played in the NHL and his past few call ups he hasn't looked out of place. He's a very good complimentary player, and the reason Baertschi scored some of the goals he did in his NHL call-up.

It depends how you're looking at it. I am talking straight potential.
I view Nemisz as being a 3rd line player if all works out. I view Ferland as having 2nd line upside. You do make a good point about him being similar to Howse, the difference being Howse was being called out for a lack of effort all season, Ferland has apparently been a very hard worker through junior.

FLAMESFAN 10-29-2012 08:59 PM

While I might not agree with Ferland being ranked ahead of Nemo right now, he is hardly overrated. If anything he is underated.

He has that toughness that is lacking in our prospects, and something Howse does not have. The fact he can score is just a bonus. Actually I think they would be good linemates for a 3rd line in a couple years.

Ashasx 10-29-2012 10:11 PM

Two Flames articles in a single week? What's gotten into you, HF?

Signature 10-29-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashasx (Post 55386377)
Two Flames articles in a single week? What's gotten into you, HF?

They're affected by the lockout just as much as we are. :laugh:

InfinityIggy 10-29-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autograph (Post 55387533)
They're affected by the lockout just as much as we are. :laugh:

They need some add revenue haha.

flameaholic 11-02-2012 12:50 AM

Not sure I agree with the ranking, but it's good to see the Flames prospect pool is on the upswing. Certainly the best it's looked than at any point during the Sutter regime.

Keep up the good work Feaster, Weisbrod, and Conny! :handclap:

torero 11-02-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen (Post 55383613)

I do not argue about Nemisz having good chemistry with Bartschi, if you say it, it certainly is true, i remember some canceled goal against ... where Nemisz scored on a Bartschi assist. But out of the 3 goals Bartschi scored, 2 were rebounds and lost pucks and the third was a straight interception of an opponent's defender pass. In none of these goals, Nemisz appears as assist !

TheHudlinator 11-02-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 55464225)
I do not argue about Nemisz having good chemistry with Bartschi, if you say it, it certainly is true, i remember some canceled goal against ... where Nemisz scored on a Bartschi assist. But out of the 3 goals Bartschi scored, 2 were rebounds and lost pucks and the third was a straight interception of an opponent's defender pass. In none of these goals, Nemisz appears as assist !

True but Nemisz played a very defensive role allowing Sven to worry about the offense and Nemisz to worry about the defense.

torero 11-02-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 55465529)
True but Nemisz played a very defensive role allowing Sven to worry about the offense and Nemisz to worry about the defense.

Fair enough !
These are the type of things that completely escape you when you are on the other side of the world and only see highlights of games ;-)

TheHudlinator 11-03-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 55469663)
Fair enough !
These are the type of things that completely escape you when you are on the other side of the world and only see highlights of games ;-)

No excuses:sarcasm: Yea I think Nemisz should be a higher rated prospect than Ferland but that is manly because I don't see Ferland making the nhl were I can see Nemisz playing there even if he is only a defensive 4th line player.