HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Jacobs vs Ilitch = No Winter Classic conspiracy Theory (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1277383)

rockinghorse 10-30-2012 08:41 AM

Jacobs vs Ilitch = No Winter Classic conspiracy Theory

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 54700923)
It's not a trade, but Mike Ilitch and Jeremy Jacobs got into an argument during an owners meeting, Ilitch basically called Jacobs cheap.

So after Marty Lapointe put up 27 goals for Detroit, Jacobs thought he'd stick it to Ilitch signed him to a 4 year, $20M contract.

Marty never put up 20 goals again.

Could it be possible that Jacobs is still harbouring a I'll get you back thought? Could cancelling Ilitch's Winter Classic be spite?

Mike Ilitch is hosting the Winter Classic this year. If the Winter Classic gets cancelled there is no HBO special about Detroit and Toronto. You have to admit those four part HBO series are pretty awesome. They capture for all time a history that can only be done if there is a Winter Classic.

Just thinking.

jumptheshark 10-30-2012 09:10 AM

it is the NHL call not the owners

Morris Wanchuk 10-30-2012 09:13 AM

Not that I agree with the conspiracy theory....

But maybe with the WS over Ilitch will take a more active roll. Perhaps he could the the Bob Kraft type to get a deal done.

Because we know JJ is not that guy.

Section337 10-30-2012 09:13 AM

I think it is more that Jacobs continues to be cheap.

Kloparren 10-30-2012 09:16 AM

Jacobs doesn't seem like a cheap guy especially based on the $ he put in and risked when he made the franchise. He's just a rich person and they tend to be control freaks with big egos.

EDIT: Nvm, I confused Jacobs with Snider though I'm sure the same thing about control freak with big ego applies.

BruinsBtn 10-30-2012 09:28 AM

Theory doesn't make any sense.

If Detroit-Toronto lose the Winter Classic this year, they will get it next year or the year after.

irishtemper 10-30-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 55394279)

If Detroit-Toronto lose the Winter Classic this year, they will get it next year or the year after.

Yeah exactly.

DespoticNewt 10-30-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishtemper (Post 55394387)
Yeah exactly.

Two of the most storied franchises in the NHL? They'd be stupid to not let it happen next year if it gets canceled this year. The only game that would possibly be bigger is Boston vs Montreal.

Morris Wanchuk 10-30-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietCompany (Post 55394113)
Jacobs doesn't seem like a cheap guy especially based on the $ he put in and risked when he made the franchise. He's just a rich person and they tend to be control freaks with big egos.

Made the franchise?

He built a new arena.. but the Bruins were 50 years old when he bought them and the Garden.

Jacobs is captain cost certainty.

cheswick 10-30-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 55394035)
it is the NHL call not the owners

The NHL being whom?

Kloparren 10-30-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk (Post 55394681)
Made the franchise?

He built a new arena.. but the Bruins were 50 years old when he bought them and the Garden.

Jacobs is captain cost certainty.

I have confused Jacobs with Snider :blush:

irishtemper 10-30-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DespoticNewt (Post 55394495)
Two of the most storied franchises in the NHL? They'd be stupid to not let it happen next year if it gets canceled this year. The only game that would possibly be bigger is Boston vs Montreal.

What are you talking about? I was agreeing with the guy who said this conspiracy theory makes no sense as it was already stated (in a letter to season ticket holders) that the winter classic would be re-scheduled for next year if it were to be canceled this year.

The Zetterberg Era 10-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk (Post 55394059)
Not that I agree with the conspiracy theory....

But maybe with the WS over Ilitch will take a more active roll. Perhaps he could the the Bob Kraft type to get a deal done.

Because we know JJ is not that guy.

I doubt it, Ilitch is in failing health, at least that is the rumors around Detroit. It was pretty much confirmed when he took to the stage at the ALCS presentation.

If there was a split between the Owners he would be an important guy to get away from Snider and Jacobs. Problem is I don't know if he is up to the task right now.

He doesn't like Jacobs, but Iltich has stayed hardline with the Owners before even when it went against what many thought was his actual position. He has been a good company man for the NHL in the past. I don't think he is the white knight the NHLPA is hoping turns the Owners. In fact with the way the Flyers, Bruins and Red Wings all went overseas in a hurry. You could say they pretty much encouraged their players this was going to be a long process.

rockinghorse 10-30-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 55394279)

Yes They should again be the teams to be awarded the Winter Classic.

I could however see it as being someone's way of being a pain in the a$$. Maybe going a bit too far though.

Fugu 10-30-2012 06:16 PM

No, just no....

Closed.