HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Do you approve of the job Vinik is doing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1277405)

Felonious Python 10-30-2012 10:34 AM

Do you approve of the job Vinik is doing?

I turned off the ability to see who voted for what, so pick whatever you choose without everybody being able to see what you think.

The YzerJesus 10-30-2012 10:38 AM

Very much. Besides the whole lockout thing, but that isn't particularly his fault. He has completely revamped the franchise, in terms of look and feel.

Benders Lindyhop 10-30-2012 11:13 AM

Absolutely approve. Last season was disappointing, but the future is looking very bright indeed. It's like a completely different organization.

The lockout is a different matter. Vinik may have voted in favor, but I doubt he's all that enthusiastic. Losing out on the buzz of the 20th anniversary, retooled roster, decent ST sales, great sponsorship numbers. Probably he's not real happy.

Rschmitz 10-31-2012 06:49 PM

In other news, water is wet

ultra63 10-31-2012 07:19 PM

from "30 Thoughts: Lockouts chock full of familiar refrains"

"The commish has three groups of owners: the ones who want to play; the ones in the middle, including Tampa and Nashville, who want a better collective bargaining agreement but recognize not playing is worse; and the hardliners. .........................................

6. Meanwhile, Lightning owner Jeff Vinik continues his "Community Hero" project. Essentially, one person is honoured at every home game and given $50,000 towards their charity of choice. Vinik is continuing the initiative on what would have been game days. The first honouree donated to a shelter that helps war veterans re-integrate to society. Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman and head coach Guy Boucher will make some of the presentations along with Vinik and Lightning chief executive officer Tod Leiweke. "

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

Felonious Python 11-01-2012 04:22 PM

I probably should have phrased it 'do you not approve of the job Vinik is not doing?' - might have gotten some variation.

ultra posted a good article, and I suggest everybody read it. Vinik aside, there's some very good parallels between the American "Basket-ball" League lockout and our current situation.

I'd agree with the assessment that Tampa is in the group that wants a better CBA, but would rather be playing.

What I don't agree with is that there's owners who don't qualify for that group.

LoSTRaMaiR 11-02-2012 08:17 PM

I still hate the uniforms. Other than that, everything has seemed pretty great.

I was unaware of Vinik's favoring of the lock-out. I imagine it is more of a case of owners sticking together rather than Vinik being pro lock-out.

He seems to be buying a lot of property(or trying to) around the forum. I am excited to see what he plans to transform the area into, if he is able to workout the property deals. I am not a Rays(more baseball in general) fan, but if St Pete allows the team to move, and they end up housed near the forum, that would be pretty neat. I have not been to Channelside in many years, but I hear businesses are in trouble there.

PS, work out the ****ing CBA and play some ****ing hockey.

Felonious Python 11-02-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR (Post 55475321)
I still hate the uniforms. Other than that, everything has seemed pretty great.

I was unaware of Vinik's favoring of the lock-out. I imagine it is more of a case of owners sticking together rather than Vinik being pro lock-out.

He seems to be buying a lot of property(or trying to) around the forum. I am excited to see what he plans to transform the area into, if he is able to workout the property deals. I am not a Rays(more baseball in general) fan, but if St Pete allows the team to move, and they end up housed near the forum, that would be pretty neat. I have not been to Channelside in many years, but I hear businesses are in trouble there.

PS, work out the ****ing CBA and play some ****ing hockey.

Well, every team did vote in favor of locking out the players, so there's that. Not that I fault them for that particular move, but the new CBA should have been done long before the previous one expired, and it's a failure on both sides not to have more urgency in this.

Both sides can try to frame this however they want, but it's not a labor dispute or work stoppage, it's a failure to operate.

Bolto 11-03-2012 01:24 PM

Vinik is a new kid on the block with the other owners so I would have been surprised if he had taken a hard line in either direction.

That said. I'm so pissed about this strike it doesn't matter to me if he's a good owner or bad. I've opted for the funds refund option on my season tickets and will not renew next year.

ultra63 11-03-2012 07:41 PM

I also went with the funds refund option on my season tickets as the NHL takes its fans for granted. I did not want to lock myself in for season tickets for 2013-14.