HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NHLer Setoguchi signs with ECHL Ontario; Clowe practicing w/SF (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1277729)

LadyStanley 10-30-2012 11:52 PM

NHLer Setoguchi signs with ECHL Ontario; Clowe practicing w/SF

Tweeted he plans to be in the line up on Friday.

(NHLer Clowe has "signed" with ECHL San Francisco -- but right now that's just to practice.)

pelts35.com 10-31-2012 07:49 AM

Another guy who made six figures plus last year taking a roster spot away from a guy making an ECHL salary just so he can stay in hockey shape. :shakehead

wildhairyguy 10-31-2012 09:11 AM

pelts35 nailed it. Put a microphone in front of these morons and they claim this whole dispute is "not just for them, but all the guys who are on their way up". Yet they will completely de-rail the career of a guy just so they can stay in shape or because they got bored.

Some of these minor leaguers work their butts off and then spend their summer job money driving to free agent camps or tryouts because they have a dream - kudos to them. They earn a roster spot then a millionaire can come along and take their job at the drop of a hat. I guess that is what they call a life lesson.

These guys want to stay in shape and not be bored?? Quit "tweeting", turn off the video game, go hit the gym for a couple of hours and then go volunteer at a food bank. Get some perspective and quit stealing jobs. The trickle down from this goes far deeper than people realize.

Sports Enthusiast 10-31-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 55416625)
Another guy who made six figures plus last year taking a roster spot away from a guy making an ECHL salary just so he can stay in hockey shape. :shakehead

Who specifically did this guy take a spot from?

No Fun Shogun 10-31-2012 10:39 PM

Oh no, a significantly better player has a roster spot over someone who we'll never know.

The horror....

josra33 11-01-2012 12:55 AM

People say the players are only in it for the money. So when an NHLer signs on to play for about 1/10th of his normal salary because he loves the game means hes a jerk for taking a job away from someone else. Catch .22 I guess around here.

pelts35.com 11-01-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 55433481)
Oh no, a significantly better player has a roster spot over someone who we'll never know.

The horror....

Somehow I think you would feel differently if you a player who got cut because the NHLer who is out of work took your roster spot.

The trickle down effect of the lockout in addition to office staff and arena workers being out of jobs is a completely overlooked story while millionaires try to hash out their differences.

No Fun Shogun 11-01-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 55436971)
Somehow I think you would feel differently if you a player who got cut because the NHLer who is out of work took your roster spot.

And I'd probably have a different opinion on progressive taxation rates if I were a billionaire, so what? Pro sports is a business at all levels where underperforming players can, and will, get dropped in favor of better athletes in a heartbeat. If some somebody gets cut because an NHLer is playing in the ECHL, then there probably wasn't much of a safety net around him anyway, was likely the worst (or one of the worse) players on the team as it was, and was very likely on the verge of being released regardless.

Plus, let's face it, having an NHLer on the roster probably will put more butts in the seats versus career minor leaguers, and that's good for the league as a whole, too.

Steelhead16 11-01-2012 12:01 PM

ECHL rosters are full of guys who would be playing at a higher level this year. What's one more? I know here in Idaho the Steelheads have never had more than 3 assignees from the AHL. Usually a goalie, a forward and a defenseman. This years roster has 9 and some of them haven't played an ECHL game in 3 or more years. The AHL is in the same boat having NHL guys on their teams and forced these guys down to the ECHL. The trickle down is just a product of the mess of the lockout. The fringe ECHL guy out of work is no different than the food vendor or the ticket agent at an NHL arena or the bartender at the bar next to the arena. It sucks for a lot of people.

When the lockout ends it will all flow in the other direction. ECHL rosters will empty out and out of work guys will get jobs. There is a bottom of the food chain in everything and they are always the ones who seem to suffer at the hands of others.

Sucks, but it just is.

LadyStanley 12-30-2012 10:24 PM

Excluding the number of NHLers signed with Ontario, Colorado, Alaska, etc., here's another.

Shark beat writers reporting that former Shark Torrey Mitchell has signed with San Francisco and should be at practice tomorrow.

Avsrule2002 12-31-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 56946263)
Excluding the number of NHLers signed with Ontario, Colorado, Alaska, etc., here's another.

Shark beat writers reporting that former Shark Torrey Mitchell has signed with San Francisco and should be at practice tomorrow.

No NHLers in Colorado. We could use a couple though......

LadyStanley 12-31-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 (Post 56959769)
No NHLers in Colorado. We could use a couple though......

OK, perhaps I'm confused. Cutthroats have 'em, but not the Eagles?

Avsrule2002 12-31-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 56962135)
OK, perhaps I'm confused. Cutthroats have 'em, but not the Eagles?

Yep. Go figure..... I think Coach Stewart was counting on the NHL lockout ending, and didn't want to mess with chemistry. So far, things are not going according to plan...:shakehead