HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread VI (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1277941)

GopherState 10-31-2012 06:05 PM

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread VI

There are now people who can legally drink who have never been alive for a major Minnesota pro sports championship. Let that sink in.

Previous Threads:
Version I
Version II
Version III
Version IV
Version V

tomgilbertfan 10-31-2012 06:07 PM

I was born 3 weeks before the twins won the 1991 world series.

GopherState 10-31-2012 06:21 PM

Going back to the discussion at the end of the last thread, what pisses me off more than anything is the "selling the team to a majority white fanbase" remark. Last time I checked the Twin Cities are a) one of the more tolerant metro areas in the country, b) have had plenty of teams where the ratio went the other way that fans fully supported and c) struggle to shake the perception among NBA players that Minnesota is a Siberian hell hole. Shouldn't be too surprising that the few signings they get to improve the team are Europeans....and Brandon Roy.

At the end of the day, the greatest thing to sell the fanbase on is winning. Been way too long for T-Wolves fans since that has happened.

tomgilbertfan 10-31-2012 06:24 PM

It's not like we hated having KG and Spreewell on the team doing well, and those two are pretty "black", in every nearly racist sense of the term.

Wild48 10-31-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 55428227)
Going back to the discussion at the end of the last thread, what pisses me off more than anything is the "selling the team to a majority white fanbase" remark. Last time I checked the Twin Cities are a) one of the more tolerant metro areas in the country, b) have had plenty of teams where the ratio went the other way that fans fully supported and c) struggle to shake the perception among NBA players that Minnesota is a Siberian hell hole. Shouldn't be too surprising that the few signings they get to improve the team are Europeans....and Brandon Roy.

At the end of the day, the greatest thing to sell the fanbase on is winning. Been way too long for T-Wolves fans since that has happened.

Also, let's take a look at recent draft picks by the Wolves (I'm only counting 1st rounders):

Derrick Williams
Lazar Hayward
Wesley Johnson
Wayne Ellington
Jonny Flinn
Ricky Rubio
OJ Mayo (eventually became Love)
Corey Brewer
Brandon Roy (Traded for some tweener i can't remember)
Rashad McCants
Ndudi Ebi

That's everybody since 2000 that went in the first round.

They've drafted ZERO white players in the first round. They did make a draft-day trade that got them Kevin Love... But history is definitely on the Wolves' side in making that choice.

Simply put the Wolves have drafted poorly and have had to rely on a lot of outside help over the year. And as Gopherstate put it well, the team can't shake the "it's too cold" moniker.

There is no institutional racism in the Wolves org. They are trying to build a winner, and these were the guys who we could get.

Also interesting that a team full of white guys of many nationalities is lumped together as "white"

This is actually one of the more diverse rosters in the league. We have 2 Spaniards, 2 Russians, a bunch of Americans and 1 Montenegrin.

EDIT: Barrea is from Puerto Rico, not Spain.

Jaykay 10-31-2012 08:20 PM

I was a 1 and a half years old when the Twins won in '91 so not only do I not remember Minnesota winning anything, I also can't even make people feel bad for me by saying no major Minnesota team has won anything in my lifetime. :cry:

squidz* 10-31-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 55431041)
I was a 1 and a half years old when the Twins won in '91 so not only do I not remember Minnesota winning anything, I also can't even make people feel bad for me by saying no major Minnesota team has won anything in my lifetime. :cry:

To be fair, baseball isn't really a sport so no one will mind if you use that line anyway.

thestonedkoala 10-31-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild48 (Post 55429231)
Ricky Rubio

They've drafted ZERO white players in the first round.

Rubio is so white, he's not even white?

TaLoN 10-31-2012 09:27 PM

Those who think the T-Wolves are racist for aquiring white players are themselves racist.

The T-wolves aquired whomever they could... they failed to sign two players of color that they tried very hard for, but let's ignore that point because the players they got as a consolation prize were white.

forthewild 10-31-2012 09:32 PM

what pisses me off about that article is how if there is white guys on the team its wrong, who gives a ****ing **** what colour they are, if there was some evidence that Wolves were trying to avoid signing coloured players i could see it, there is zero evidence that the organization is racist.

also is there some ratio in the NBA that is federally mandated that a team has to have a certain amount of coloured people? seriously what the ****, of all the things they could ***** about, like better funding for schools, better access to equipment and such for youth sports, but no we get a "too many white guys on the wolves" article

Rabid Husky 10-31-2012 11:32 PM

Yeah, we are so racist as fans we need white guys on the team to get us to go. Disgusting.

Jarick 11-01-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2600 (Post 55427885)
I was born 3 weeks before the twins won the 1991 world series.

Happy birthday :laugh:

Jarick 11-01-2012 08:49 AM

Even the incompetent management that runs the Wolves knows the only way to get and keep fans in the seats is to put a winning team on the field. The Twins signed Minnesota NativeŽ Joe Mauer and built a massive new stadium and couldn't keep fans in the seats for more than two years. Maybe the Twins just need some more white players?

Avder 11-01-2012 10:02 AM

I dont care if the Twins sign someone with purple skin and green polka dots, as long as its not another trainwreck like Nishioka.

They could sign some bizzare alien who lived on Charon for all I care, as long as it can play its designated position and hit decently.

TLow97 11-01-2012 02:20 PM

So, is anyone gonna buy T-Wolves tickets now that Kahn's "lightened things up"??? :laugh: :sarcasm:

ewoksonhoth 11-01-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLow97 (Post 55442865)
So, is anyone gonna buy T-Wolves tickets now that Kahn's "lightened things up"??? :laugh: :sarcasm:

It's Basketball so, no.

Avder 11-02-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLow97 (Post 55442865)

Basketball sucks.

Dee Oh Cee 11-04-2012 04:22 PM

Vikings D not doing a damn thing.

Victorious Secret 11-04-2012 04:25 PM

Whats new, amirite?

Jarick 11-04-2012 04:38 PM

We should have traded for Sidney Rice to start at QB :laugh:

tomgilbertfan 11-04-2012 04:40 PM

I'm so done with trying to defend Ponder and say that he could be an average QB in the future.
He has no confidence, and is perpetually afraid.

On the plus side, AP is still a beast.

Dee Oh Cee 11-04-2012 04:58 PM

It's hard to judge ponder with such a porous offensive line in front of him.

tomgilbertfan 11-04-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee (Post 55522633)
It's hard to judge ponder with such a porous offensive line in front of him.

He hasn't been able to throw a screen pass these last 3 weeks. He is unable to react to the blitz, like at all. His decision making is horrible "Ok, 10 seconds left, no Time outs left, better throw a 3 yard pass down the middle and ruin our chances of getting off a FG". Our offensive line has been bad this game, but stats wise its actually a top 10 OL.
I'm not sure how great their methodology was in that, but our OL is not bad enough
that I'm going to let Ponder off the hook.

Jaykay 11-04-2012 05:18 PM

Ponder still sucks, AP still doesn't.

Dee Oh Cee 11-04-2012 05:51 PM

haha this is pitiful.