HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Where Will Our Next *Impact* Top 6 Forward Come From? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278047)

UsernameWasTaken 10-31-2012 11:26 PM

Where Will Our Next *Impact* Top 6 Forward Come From?

I'm so damn bored without being able to watch the Hawks right now. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely love Jr. Hockey - but it's just not the same :shakehead

By *impact* I don't mean an "add-on" top 6 player who is there to bring size/grit - I mean someone who has elite skills and would typically be characterized as a "top 6" forward

So...what do you think? (about the poll, not my own boredom).

1. Played on the team 2011/12 (specify who)
2. In the system (our prospects, incl. '12 pics)
3. Someone we haven't drafted yet
4. Someone we'll acquire by trade/free agency signing.
5. Other (anything I didn't mention)

I think the player who will make the biggest impact will be Teuvo - Saad will be ready to play sooner but i'm still not convinced his ceiling is different than Bolland's. I'm not confident that the rest of the AHL crowd are sufficiently high end to produce an impact in the top 6 anytime soon.

deytookerjaabs 11-01-2012 12:54 AM

I think Pirri could step in as a 55-75pt 2C while being surrounded with high end talent (sharp, kane, hossa) for now. Once in the NHL he will improve even more for the next few years and eventually be a lock for an NHL top sixer.

xX Hot Fuss 11-01-2012 12:57 AM

Bowman won't make a trade for another top 6 W

Sir Psycho T 11-01-2012 01:00 AM

Saad will be on the team when the NHL resumes and I think he would have been ready this year to be a good NHL forward, now that it looks like we won't play till 2013 I think he'll be even better.

TT also looks like he has the talent to be a dangerous NHL forward, the question is will his body develop a little more and does he had the drive to do it.

UsernameWasTaken 11-01-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T (Post 55435109)
Saad will be on the team when the NHL resumes and I think he would have been ready this year to be a good NHL forward, now that it looks like we won't play till 2013 I think he'll be even better.

TT also looks like he has the talent to be a dangerous NHL forward, the question is will his body develop a little more and does he had the drive to do it.

I'm not convinced by that. He showed decent potential last year (although/ w/ that said he had a late b-day so he had an extra year of development). I want to see more from him at the NHL level before i'm convinced that he'll consistently show up and will use his size effectively (and given the rest of his skill set he needs to be able to use his size).

Re: TT - I haven't seen anything about him that makes me question his "drive" - but I agree with you re: his size. I wish he'd left Finland and played CHL hockey this year - I know he's playing in the Finnish men's league - however, from what i've seen he looks like a highly skilled, but heavily "perimeter" player - and I don't see how playing in a professional league on a Euro-sized rink is going to help that. If he was playing Jr. hockey, the competition would be less - but he probably would have been the 1C, on the first power play unit, played 18+ min a game, and had the opportunity to start learning a more aggressive game against easier competition than he'll face in the NHL.

deytookerjaabs 11-01-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 55435367)
I'm not convinced by that. He showed decent potential last year (although/ w/ that said he had a late b-day so he had an extra year of development). I want to see more from him at the NHL level before i'm convinced that he'll consistently show up and will use his size effectively (and given the rest of his skill set he needs to be able to use his size).

Re: TT - I haven't seen anything about him that makes me question his "drive" - but I agree with you re: his size. I wish he'd left Finland and played CHL hockey this year - I know he's playing in the Finnish men's league - however, from what i've seen he looks like a highly skilled, but heavily "perimeter" player - and I don't see how playing in a professional league on a Euro-sized rink is going to help that. If he was playing Jr. hockey, the competition would be less - but he probably would have been the 1C, on the first power play unit, played 18+ min a game, and had the opportunity to start learning a more aggressive game against easier competition than he'll face in the NHL.

I completely agree with this post, not over-hyped about either prospect until they do some time performing well in the AHL.

hockeydoug 11-01-2012 07:11 AM

I'm almost always skeptical of prospect projections, and even more skeptical of the timeline it takes for them to develop. The new CBA (whenever it's signed) is likely to cause some changes and player movement. I think Chicago will get their next legitimate top 6 through a signing or trade.

HockeySensible 11-01-2012 07:52 AM

Brandon Saad will be an impact NHL forward, but I don't know that he'll be considered a legit top-6 forward this year (assuming there is hockey) or next year. I know Saad can contribute in the NHL this year, I'm just not sure how much he could. Obviously, alot of it is dependent on usage, but as I've said before, if he's in the top-6 and gets PP time, I could see him putting up a 40-50 point season/pace.

Cullksinikers 11-01-2012 12:10 PM

Brandon Saad will be a dandy in his third full NHL season.

ChiGuySez 11-01-2012 12:50 PM

Prospects are Saad, Pirri, Teravainen. Those are my contenders.
Played on the team would be Kruger and Stalberg assuming they get resigned and I see no reason not to but Id rather see them on the 3rd line or bottom six as with Shaw and Hayes.

Hawkaholic 11-01-2012 02:04 PM

I'll say trade or FA signing.

I don't see any of our prospects making an 'impact' in the top 6.

But my definition of 'impact' may be different than others.

Martini* 11-01-2012 02:51 PM

There is nobody in the Hawks depth who has the makings of being a impact forward.

Not Saad.
Not TT
The closest being Morin.

Oh_so_saad 11-01-2012 03:36 PM

krueger:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MurrayBannerman 11-01-2012 04:50 PM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...mackinnon2.jpg

Fix it, Bettman!

Cullksinikers 11-01-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martini (Post 55443627)
There is nobody in the Hawks depth who has the makings of being a impact forward.

Not Saad.
Not TT
The closest being Morin.

Whatever you say. Teuvo and Saad might be very impactful forwards. They certainly have the potential to be, and we are just waiting to see how their development goes. If you honestly have more confidence in Morin than either Teuvo and Saad, I am not sure what to say. Does Morin have the potential to be an impactful forward? Absolutely, but his development hasn't been stellar and was hindered by the concussion.

BBSeabs27 11-01-2012 09:09 PM

Saad or Teravainen or Pirri

UsernameWasTaken 11-01-2012 10:03 PM

maybe the kid on the right?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...2weo1_1280.jpg

Bubba88 11-02-2012 06:47 AM

Voting for Saad, Shaw or Jayes.... would this be played on the roster or prospect pool?