HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What Do You Think About Toews' Lockout Comments? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278055)

UsernameWasTaken 11-01-2012 12:45 AM

What Do You Think About Toews' Lockout Comments?

Captain Serious has been a bit of chatty cathy when it comes to complaining about the NHL's position in the lockout.

He's put himself out there by being entirely negative re: the NHL (although he took time to compliment Rocky/Hawks Organization).

The people on the "Business of Hockey" board here (which, admittedly, is not the most "readable" part of the boards these days) have taken to flaming Toews.

What do you think?

a non-exhaustive list of his comments include:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...c-negotiations

Quote:

"I believe that it doesn't matter how much we try and reason with them or negotiate," Hawks captain Jonathan Toews said Friday. "It has been proven over time that they're on a timeline and they're waiting to see how much they can squeeze us for. We've worked very hard at trying to negotiate. That's as much as we can do at this point."
http://blogs.bettor.com/Chicago-Blac...Update-a196082

Quote:

For Toews, the league is obviously losing image during the lockout as fans have mostly sided with the players union during the process, and for him, the latest 50-50 offer made by them is one that they do not even want to implement themselves, terming it to be “just a ploy”.

“There’s no real effort there,” Toews said, according to ProHockeyTalk.NBCSports.com. “It’s just a ploy to kind of sway the positive light back in their favour”.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hocke...s-selling.html

Quote:

The problem for the league is that the players see the offer as a ploy to gain public favor. As pleasant as a 50/50 split sounds, the best it might be is a step toward real negotiations after weeks of no movement from either side.

“It’s an interesting tactic,” Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews said Wednesday. “Obviously, to a certain extent, they’re trying to sway public opinion. I don’t think there’s a secret there. As players, it’s something, but it’s not anything to get overly excited about. We’ll look at it, consider it and see where we go from there.”
Personally, I think he should shut it. I like the guy but every quote i read from him makes me cringe.

massivegoonery 11-01-2012 01:05 AM

He's entirely right.

Chris Hansen 11-01-2012 01:06 AM

He is part of half of the reason the best hockey in the world is being taken away from all of us, so I couldn't care less about his selfish opinion.

RedBaronIndian 11-01-2012 03:52 AM

I wouldn't read much into a few sound bytes given by Toews in the middle of heated lockout battle. Each side is doing whatever it can to gain upper hand in the PR battle. A large portion of hfboards audience may not agree with what the players are saying, but I have seen majority outside on twitter, ****** and other discussion boards who support the players and agree with their views.

And for the geniuses on main boards flaming Toews or questioning his intelligence/smartness based on these soundbites, Toews completed 3 years of high school at Shattuck Mary's in 2 years and entered university 1 year ahead of his peers. That is pretty smart even by non hockey standards and a much better indicator of Toews' intelligence. If I were to take a gander, Toews would have been pretty successful in whatever profession he chose, if he had no hockey skills.

ModryJazyk 11-01-2012 06:05 AM

he's one of the best hockey player and he should play hockey as Kaner does now to build good shape when season starts, not to sit on union meetings with Fehr and doing PR for him.That NHL-PA fight is job for lawyers not for 24-y old all star player.I would say same opinion about Crosby and some other talented kids.Moreover, I think Fehr picked up wrong faces for his campaign against league, most of fans don't like if these young stars with multimillion/multiyear contracts are doing politics instead of playing hockey.And finally, as PA faces in this case, they will share responsibility with Fehr if negotations will crash and season will be cancelled.

hockeydoug 11-01-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModryJazyk (Post 55435873)
That NHL-PA fight is job for lawyers not for 24-y old all star player.

This would be my first major point. My next point is that he's not doing any good for the PA.

His comments come off as unprofessional and foolish. I'm not sure why he rips Bettman, praises Rocky, then rips the owners. He's acting like one of the players that regretted what came out of their mouth last lockout. His side is as much to blame as the owners because of what they did/didn't do the previous 2 years, so it's really tough to listen to him argue about how much the players want to play and how the owners have an agenda that takes hockey from everyone as if the players have done what they could.

Quote:

Personally, I think he should shut it. I like the guy but every quote i read from him makes me cringe.
I wish Toews would shut it too.

Sevanston 11-01-2012 10:35 AM

I couldn't care less.

No Fun Shogun 11-01-2012 11:29 AM

He is right. Owners want what they want, made an entirely PR-related move to appear reasonable with a 50-50 split which is anything but thanks to HRR definitions, and scoffed at entirely reasonable counterproposals from the NHLPA (one of which offer the owners what they wanted except it wouldn't impact currently signed contracts) without a second's hesitation.

Not claiming it's an angels vs demons scenario here, but the players are far more in the right than ownership.

Not to mention that even if the NHL's offer was a real 50/50 split, does anyone in their right mind honestly think that the NHL would stop there? In a decade or so, I guarantee we'd be seeing ownership whining about how getting half the pie wasn't reasonable for them given the costs they've sunk in.

Hawkaholic 11-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevanston (Post 55437457)
I couldn't care less.

Pretty much. He should be able to say whatever he wants, truth or not.

He's pissed off and he let's his emotions get the best of him when he is mad.

But, he isn't wrong at all here.

massivegoonery 11-01-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55434649)
He is part of half of the reason the best hockey in the world is being taken away from all of us, so I couldn't care less about his selfish opinion.

Talk about selfish opinions.

Cullksinikers 11-01-2012 01:18 PM

I don't listen to the NHLPA or the owners any longer. Both want you to believe the other side is wrong when the real truth is that both are wrong. Let's get hockey back. Making a little less money for either side is a lot less significant than making absolutely nothing when there is no season.

Chris Hansen 11-01-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 55440027)
Talk about selfish opinions.

Nope. Cullk sums up how I feel fairly well.

Millionaires fighting billionaires. Gosh, I'd hate to be in either of their shoes. Must be so tough.

xX Hot Fuss 11-01-2012 02:35 PM

Other. Couldn' care less about what he's saying. He should keep his mouth shut though as he's proven to have no positive effect on the lockout.

madgoat33 11-01-2012 02:36 PM

don't care, but think he should keep his mouth shut.

I'm sick of the stupid platitudes from both sides.

IU Hawks fan 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 55434363)
The people on the "Business of Hockey" board here (which, admittedly, is not the most "readable" part of the boards these days) have taken to flaming Toews.

I pretty much have to avoid the BoH now. It's as cluttered as the main board. Can't wait til the lockout to end so it can go back to being good discussion between the under 100 regulars.

RayP 11-01-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 55441861)
I pretty much have to avoid the BoH now. It's as cluttered as the main board. Can't wait til the lockout to end so it can go back to being good discussion between the under 100 regulars.

I don't contribute there, just don't have the knowledge, but love reading that board when it is like that... Lots of great info in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 55441815)
Other. Couldn' care less about what he's saying. He should keep his mouth shut though as he's proven to have no positive effect on the lockout.

Yeah, at this point I don't care what anyone says or go out of my way to see what they are saying. Both sides are dead to me.

massivegoonery 11-01-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55441615)
Nope. Cullk sums up how I feel fairly well.

Millionaires fighting billionaires. Gosh, I'd hate to be in either of their shoes. Must be so tough.

A million is to a billion what a thousand is to a million. Or a dollar is to a thousand.

Anyways, I hope your job doesn't decide to lock you out tomorrow.

Martini* 11-01-2012 03:49 PM

Toews is a hero.

Chris Hansen 11-01-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 55443483)
A million is to a billion what a thousand is to a million. Or a dollar is to a thousand.

Anyways, I hope your job doesn't decide to lock you out tomorrow.

If I choose to prolong a strike, my lack of a paying job is my fault every bit as much as it is my employer's.

massivegoonery 11-01-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55445555)
If I choose to prolong a strike, my lack of a paying job is my fault every bit as much as it is my employer's.

What strike?

Chris Hansen 11-01-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 55445615)
What strike?

Seriously?

Kurtosis 11-01-2012 05:21 PM

You lose at relatavism Goon.

massivegoonery 11-01-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55445793)
Seriously?

Do you understand what a lockout is?

BobbyJet 11-01-2012 06:07 PM

According tp some posters here, the Hawks stars can do no wrong. On the ice or off. I personally feel so sorry for Toews at under 25 years old is making millions but wants more. :sarcasm:

Most of these players have lived largely sheltered lives, and can't relate to real economics, never mind to the complexities of owning an NHL team. Fehr just throws at them the fact that they will get less money if they sign too soon and that they already made huge sacrifices in 2005, and that is sufficient to sway them to his thinking. It is Fehr who is being selfish by refusing to set his ego aside in this losing battle. If this keeps up the Winter Classsic is gone hence another nail in the coffin of this NHL will season. It's ridiculous ... and naive players like Toews need to know who is pulling their strings and face reality. Fehr speaks a good game to the press but that's about it. He has nothing other than to wait it out. Surely some veteran will break rank, step forward and speak out against him. It won't be Jonny.

Chris Hansen 11-01-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 55445885)
Do you understand what a lockout is?

You are getting far too hung up in the phrase "the owners locked out the players."

The players chose that route every bit as much as the owners did.

Neither side can agree to a deal because both of them are greedy. Because all either of them want to do is take, take, take. Because they both just want more.

More of the money that we give them. And in their greediness, their "negotiating," they have given us another lockout.

The lack of a CBA agreement is what produces the lockout, and this is the fault of both sides. You can't seriously be arguing otherwise.

What you are arguing is incredibly technical. Yes, strictly speaking, the owners choose to "lock out the players," as it were. But the players act in a manner knowing full well what it will bring about, just as the owners do. A lockout is both of their faults.

So I must repeat. If I choose to prolong a strike, making demands that match the extremity of those of my employer, then my lack of work is my fault just as much as it is my employer's fault.

(Why fans waste their energy defending either the players or owners - neither of which could possibly care any less about us fans - is beyond me, but I digress).