HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vancouver Province: Toronto D-man Gardiner too valuable to flip (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278085)

hockeywiz542 11-01-2012 03:01 AM

Vancouver Province: Toronto D-man Gardiner too valuable to flip

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/To...491/story.html

Quote:

Since a mid-season sag that saw him sit seven consecutive games in January, there hasn’t been a lot for Gardiner to be concerned about.

Even the rumours have been an ego stroke. The Canucks wanted him in a Luongo trade. His skating and transition game fit Vancouver’s attack like a longboard suits a hipster. The Leafs responded with their position that they can’t possibly give him up.

“I’m happy Toronto wants me, I don’t want to leave,” Gardiner said.

Not bad for a player who wasn’t considered a blue-chip prospect. He’s certainly covered a lot of ground since the Anaheim Ducks gave up on him 20 months ago, trading him and Joffrey Lupul for Francois Beauchemin.

Then, he was the third leading point getter on the Wisconsin Badgers. A decent prospect, but not one anyone raved about. His paperwork hadn’t been filed in the “can’t miss” folder.

Now, the trade looks ridculously lopsided. But just think of how it would look if the Leafs flipped Gardiner for Luongo, and the goalie led them on a long playoff run. Or two.

What would that be worth?

But after 21 points in his final 40 games, Gardiner is viewed by most as too valuable to flip. There is too much promise for a rookie who walked off a university campus and accelerated his growth in the NHL at warp speed.

Man Bear Pig 11-01-2012 03:35 AM

Umm this isn't really anything new...

Whydidijoin* 11-01-2012 05:10 AM

1. Put Leafs in title.
2. Write about old news and obvious things.
3. ???
4. Profit.

416Leafer 11-01-2012 05:17 AM

I would move Gardiner in a deal for a younger top goalie or top goalie prospect. Like Schneider, Rask, Markstrom, etc. (not that any of them are at all available).

But for Luongo? Nah.

htpwn 11-01-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 55435697)
Umm this isn't really anything new...

No, but it is coming out of Vancouver paper. Maybe they're finally coming to their senses on Luongo's value.

Sam Slick* 11-01-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 55437065)
No, but it is coming out of Vancouver paper. Maybe they're finally coming to their senses on Luongo's value.

Lou's value is 33 and a term that goes to 2022. No thanks.

Aplayaz2000 11-01-2012 09:45 AM

trade an allstar def for who?

FlareKnight 11-01-2012 09:51 AM

Hey, I'll take a positive article for Gardiner even if it's coming from a Vancouver paper :). Of course just have to watch the Marlies to see how good this guy is.

Well if Gardiner finally gets dropped from the Luongo discussions on Vancouver's side that's good news. Might be nice having some semblance of reality being shown.

Mess 11-01-2012 10:25 AM

I love it when other teams GMs look like idiots when they trade away picks and prospects for instant help and it comes to bite them in the ass, making them look foolish for that shortsightedness.

Jake Gardiner is a prime example of a clueless GM who thought Beauchemin was expendable as a UFA and not worth the asking price he wanted, and then less than 2 years later he goes out and trades Gardiner to get him back. :loony: ... Had he simply resigned Beauchemin when given the chance he would have Gardiner and likely his pal Justin Schultz as well in Anaheim today.

Well Anaheim's loss is Leafs gain, and we hope Gardiner is a keeper for us and not dealt for instant help in the future.

Nazem Gretzky 11-01-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 55438149)
I love it when other teams GMs look like idiots when they trade away picks and prospects for instant help and it comes to bite them in the ass, making them look foolish for that shortsightedness.

Jake Gardiner is a prime example of a clueless GM who thought Beauchemin was expendable as a UFA and not worth the asking price he wanted, and then less than 2 years later he goes out and trades Gardiner to get him back. :loony: ... Had he simply resigned Beauchemin when given the chance he would have Gardiner and likely his pal Justin Schultz as well in Anaheim today.

Well Anaheim's loss is Leafs gain, and we hope Gardiner is a keeper for us and not dealt for instant help in the future.

Don't forget our all-star LWer we got in the deal

Kyle Doobas 11-01-2012 11:13 AM

"Toronto D-man Gardiner too valuable to flip for Luongo," said everyone with a fully-functioning brain, ten months ago.

Keeping it Blue 11-01-2012 12:10 PM

Botchford writing about the Leafs again? Must be Thursday!

anderson3133 11-01-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 55438149)

I think that's where the problem occurred. :sarcasm:

Of course, I'm just being facetious.

colchar 11-01-2012 12:43 PM

His skating and transition game fit Vancouverís attack like a longboard suits a hipster.

:D:D:D

Volcanologist 11-01-2012 01:02 PM

Wow, someone in Vancouver has some common sense on this?

darrylsittler27 11-01-2012 01:09 PM

Burke would be crazy...

To do that after the Kessel trade.On top of that Luongo's value will go down rapidly if there is a cap rollback.Gillis may have to throw in Kessler just to get Burke interested.Right now it would be Frattin,Colborne and Gunner for Luongo and Kessler,take it or leave it.As many said,Gillis has the problem,pretending otherwise wont make any difference.

Aplayaz2000 11-01-2012 01:26 PM

the term flip is pretty funny

67Cup 11-01-2012 01:32 PM

The substance of the article, that Gardiner is too valuable to flip for Luongo, is firmly in "Well, Duh" territory. It is interesting, however, that it is not only a Vancouver writer but Jason Botchford that penned it. Botchford is a leader in the BC
whine industry. He was, for example, the point person in the accusations that the Behind the scenes at the draft film speculation about Vancouver trading up in the draft constituted tampering. But what really interests me is something way beyond proof... I have sometimes suspected Botchford is the way Gillis and the Canucks management leak ideas they want out there in public. Is Canuck nation being prepared for what may be perceived as a disappointing return for Luongo?

I repeat that this is pure speculation on my part with not an ounce of hard evidence.

7even 11-01-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 (Post 55441223)
To do that after the Kessel trade.On top of that Luongo's value will go down rapidly if there is a cap rollback.Gillis may have to throw in Kessler just to get Burke interested.Right now it would be Frattin,Colborne and Gunner for Luongo and Kessler,take it or leave it.As many said,Gillis has the problem,pretending otherwise wont make any difference.

....:loony:

Stats01 11-01-2012 02:22 PM

"Now, the trade looks ridculously lopsided. But just think of how it would look if the Leafs flipped Gardiner for Luongo, and the goalie led them on a long playoff run. Or two."

"What would that be worth?"

The worst part of the article. And people think Toronto writers are bad..

Gardiner isn't worth giving up on just for one or two playoff runs, we all know how this sort of thing ends up.

kamosko 11-01-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 (Post 55441223)

stop, please... you and others like you are the reasons we have such a bad rep

Sergei Berezin 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

Article wreaks of Vancouver.

Pee-yuuuuu!

Bodybr3ak 11-01-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 55435901)
I would move Gardiner in a deal for a younger top goalie or top goalie prospect. Like Schneider, Rask, Markstrom, etc. (not that any of them are at all available).

But for Luongo? Nah.

I don't even think I'd want to move him for one of those guys.

I understand that this could all just be leaf nation hype and Gardiner could just end up being an avg defenseman. But, the likely hood of him being top end talent is VERY high and it would suck so much to have niedermayer 2.0 happen.

NaiveLeafsFan 11-01-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Stallone (Post 55438893)
"Toronto D-man Gardiner too valuable to flip for Luongo," said everyone with a fully-functioning brain, ten months ago.

This. Can we make this quote the banner of the Leafs board up until Luongo gets traded?

Stats01 11-01-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybr3ak (Post 55443635)
I don't even think I'd want to move him for one of those guys.

I understand that this could all just be leaf nation hype and Gardiner could just end up being an avg defenseman. But, the likely hood of him being top end talent is VERY high and it would suck so much to have niedermayer 2.0 happen.

You're absolutely right. I think you'll agree, you don't trade a D-man with top 2-3 potential for a young goalie even with Schneider's potential. IMO you take the D-man over the goalie everyday of the week. Just more valuable