HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would you go see a scab NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=127825)

Kodiak 02-05-2005 02:43 PM

Would you go see a scab NHL?

Just a little something to see where we stand with all the talk to attendance not being adversely affected by the lockout. So the scenario is: no 04-05 season, an impasse, Bettman's cap, and a league filled with AHL/ECHL calibre talent. Would you spend your time and money to go see them?

NYFAN 02-05-2005 02:58 PM

No thanks, I'll take a wolfpack or sound tigers game before I go see scab NHL ers. As a union employee, I wouldn't feel right if I even thought it would be fun. I know my union and the NHLPA don't have much in common but it's the principle of the matter. Would you want to pay the same price for a burger as you do for filet mignon simply because both are beef products?

LiquidClown 02-05-2005 03:02 PM

Nope I have a hard enough time now justifying paying the outrageous prices for a hockey ticket, then they expect me to pay the same amount to see diluted talent? Haha no thanks.

Brooklyn Ranger 02-05-2005 03:26 PM

Nope, never. And unless an agreement is reached through negotiation by both sides, I certainly won't be loaning any more money to the Rangers either, if and when they come crawling to me to renew my seasons over the summer.

patnyrnyg 02-05-2005 04:05 PM

If a replacement player ever skated on Garden Ice wearing the Rangers jersey, I would be done as an NHL fan.

Brooklyn, I was speaking with the guy who sits next to me about next years invoice. If the season is canceled and I receive an invoice in May, I will probably bring it to MSG and tape it to a urinal in the mens room. Ok, then was disgusting, but you get the point.

pld459666 02-05-2005 04:11 PM

I absolutely would

go to see games.

I'm not a fan of the player and could care less who wears the jersey as long as they can help the Rangers win.

Fletch 02-05-2005 04:14 PM

I can't say for sure...

if I wouldn't go to any games - there's always small chance I would (if a ticket were $10-15). I can say that I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a game, and I wouldn't get the 13-game package I had in recent years after not re-upping my season tix.

Fletch 02-05-2005 04:16 PM

Pld...

how many AHL games have to attnded during the lockout?

pld459666 02-05-2005 04:20 PM

Not really to close to any arena's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
how many AHL games have to attnded during the lockout?

to go to any AHL games.

I'm not driving over an hour to go to Hartford and not interested in going to see Bridgeport.

But since I'm only a traing ride from the Garden, I'd go for sure.

FLYLine24* 02-05-2005 04:26 PM

Hell no. I would cancel my season tickets and buy a lot more tickets to Pack games. Ive been to about 6 pack games so far (At hartford and bridgeport) but i would not see a bunch of scabs on the ice. Scabs will give every teams logo a bad look. The best wear the logo...not a bunch of wanna-b nhlers that majority will never make it.

Kovy274Hart 02-05-2005 04:31 PM

No way.

True Blue 02-05-2005 06:33 PM

Not going. There needs to be a category of not a seasonholder and NOT attending any scab games. Saying "seeing less games" does not take into account not coming at all, a la being a season holder and not renewing tickets.

AG9NK35DT8* 02-05-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYFAN
As a union employee, I wouldn't feel right if I even thought it would be fun. I know my union and the NHLPA don't have much in common but it's the principle of the matter. Would you want to pay the same price for a burger as you do for filet mignon simply because both are beef products?

Well hockey is hockey and the problem is these guys make in the millioins and sports players are over paid to begin with but, I myself am also a UNION employee and I dont agree with scab labor but after a hard day of being outdoors in -10 below zero weather when i get home I want to watch hockey. so be it scab or not if its hockey i will watch.

Now with the thing you said about being a union employee. Now I am in Local 45,which is the Carpenters Union. I will be quicker to support the local trade Unions for example Plumbers local #1, Steamfitters local #638, Electricians local #3<~~~ cry babies, Tin knocker's local #28, any Teamsters union etc you get my point .The hockey players union has no relationship with what i do for a living, so they dont help support me, so in a sense we are both unions but 2 complete different worlds. Union is union yes but there situation is a bit different than the avg guys.

Just to let you know im taking some welding classes and a discussion came up about Unions and i dont know what you do but all of NY is less than 30% UNION which is not cool at all. So when you see that NON-UNION Construction job going report it o any union .I know I rat out NON_UNION :madfire: at the drop of a dime, do the same.Remeber its always important , I go to every Union meeting once a month if we dont keep Unions strong then we have nothing.

What Local Union are you from?

AG9NK35DT8* 02-05-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Hell no. I would cancel my season tickets and buy a lot more tickets to Pack games. Ive been to about 6 pack games so far (At hartford and bridgeport) but i would not see a bunch of scaps on the ice. Scaps will give every teams logo a bad look. The best wear the logo...not a bunch of wanna-b nhlers that majority will never make it.

There called SCABS, not SCAPS.

Scabs are non union workers.

FLYLine24* 02-05-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
There called SCABS, not SCAPS.

Scabs are non union workers.

I meant Scabs...i dont know why I wrote Scaps. :o

NYFAN 02-06-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Well hockey is hockey and the problem is these guys make in the millioins and sports players are over paid to begin with but, I myself am also a UNION employee and I dont agree with scab labor but after a hard day of being outdoors in -10 below zero weather when i get home I want to watch hockey. so be it scab or not if its hockey i will watch.

Now with the thing you said about being a union employee. Now I am in Local 45,which is the Carpenters Union. I will be quicker to support the local trade Unions for example Plumbers local #1, Steamfitters local #638, Electricians local #3<~~~ cry babies, Tin knocker's local #28, any Teamsters union etc you get my point .The hockey players union has no relationship with what i do for a living, so they dont help support me, so in a sense we are both unions but 2 complete different worlds. Union is union yes but there situation is a bit different than the avg guys.

Just to let you know im taking some welding classes and a discussion came up about Unions and i dont know what you do but all of NY is less than 30% UNION which is not cool at all. So when you see that NON-UNION Construction job going report it o any union .I know I rat out NON_UNION :madfire: at the drop of a dime, do the same.Remeber its always important , I go to every Union meeting once a month if we dont keep Unions strong then we have nothing.

What Local Union are you from?

Teamsters local 812. Soft drink and brewery workers. I agree that the NHLPA has nothing in common with us, but the principal of the matter is the same. I work for coca cola, a giant company if there ever was one. Last contract, they manipulated their way into forcing the new drivers to become commision based. I am an hourly employee, I get paid while waiting to check in my truck, verifying my load, adjusting it etc. I was against that contract because , to be fair , I feel all drivers deserve the same compensation regardless when they came on board. Their big argument was that they could not afford to compensate drivers in the same way any more. THAT WAS the BIG LIE that they used as a scare tactic to pass the contract. Now that they have these commision based drivers, who do you think gets the tight routes and short travel to their delivery areas? So now when our next contract comes up, they will try to force commision down everyones throat! They can produce numbers to justify that their system works, but they aren't real numbers since the commision routes are specifically targeted to produce big numbers. In the meantime, this company is still very poorly managed and operated, and they talk the talk(putting our people first) but they sure don't walk the walk! They continue to seasonally lay off drivers and warehouseworkers, while bumbling on in management, and having no corresponding layoff in management. I've rambled far too long off topic already, but you get my point hopefully. The NHL has done a magnificent job of manipulating a report, not an audit, to justify their stance in this lockout. And for all you pro ownership folks, think about all the players whose careers barely even get off the ground and they are tossed aside and forgotten like a piece of spoiled meat. The physical toll on most NHL players over time, can not be over looked as to their amount of compensation. These players are gifted athletes who burn bright and fast for a very short time in the scheme of life, so to compare them to a regular job really isn't fair. Many live their entire lives in pain and on medication. I agree that a select few are making an obscene amount of money, but the vast majority, will never make enough from hockey to never work again, and that same vast majority are the guys in the trenches, takingone for the team, only to live in constant pain after their careers are over. Any player who crosses the line would be an absolute fool.

patnyrnyg 02-06-2005 01:08 PM

I'm a NYC teacher and a union delegate (chapter leader). I am not a gung-ho I'm union and I'm proud type, because frankly I think there are many problems with unions. Therefore, my boycott would not be based on some type of principal. I think it would be spitting on Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, and the rest of the all time greats to say that guys who under normal conditions would NEVER have a snowball's chance in hell of playing in the NHL should be allowed to wear the same uniform and have their stats entered into the same record book or names engraved on the same Stanley Cup.

sickboy35 02-06-2005 01:57 PM

no!!

Out West 02-06-2005 02:33 PM

Try this on for size...

Aren't the NHL'ers in Europe "Pseudo Scabs"...They have no problem taking work from players over there...Lot of hypocites involved in this...Food for thought...You have a kid that has gone through the commitment and dedication to get a shot in Pro Hockey (albeit as a "Scab"...I hate that word...I'll use RP...Replacement Player)...So, the young man is offered the opportunity to play Pro hockey...Your advice to him would be.?.How many chances do you get in life to do something that you've been doing since the age of 5.?.More to it than Union / Non Union issue... :)

Kodiak 02-06-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out West
Aren't the NHL'ers in Europe "Pseudo Scabs"...They have no problem taking work from players over there...Lot of hypocites involved in this...Food for thought...You have a kid that has gone through the commitment and dedication to get a shot in Pro Hockey (albeit as a "Scab"...I hate that word...I'll use RP...Replacement Player)...So, the young man is offered the opportunity to play Pro hockey...Your advice to him would be.?.How many chances do you get in life to do something that you've been doing since the age of 5.?.More to it than Union / Non Union issue... :)

This has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'll give it one more go. The nature of any professional sport is that you want the best players available. No one is entitled to anything. It all must be earned. In the end, the best players get the roster spots. Unfortunately, some players that had spots last year won't have spots this year because there are about 700 fewer roster spots for professional hockey players, but that's not the fault of the players. This is a lockout and not a strike. If this were a strike, then you would have a very good point. But it's not, so you don't.

And I don't think anyone is begrudging some kid with nothing more than a dream to play in the "replacement" NHL, but that kid should go in with reasonable expectations. He's not likely to get a job when the NHLPA returns, and even if he does, he will have an extremely rough time dealing with PA members. I don't care if a bunch of kids that would otherwise have no hope of playing in the NHL decide to play. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't spend my money to go watch substandard (and that's being generous) hockey. This is entertainment, not charity.

AG9NK35DT8* 02-06-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I meant Scabs...i dont know why I wrote Scaps. :o

:)

AG9NK35DT8* 02-06-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYFAN
Teamsters local 812. Soft drink and brewery workers. I agree that the NHLPA has nothing in common with us, but the principal of the matter is the same. I work for coca cola, a giant company if there ever was one. Last contract, they manipulated their way into forcing the new drivers to become commision based. I am an hourly employee, I get paid while waiting to check in my truck, verifying my load, adjusting it etc. I was against that contract because , to be fair , I feel all drivers deserve the same compensation regardless when they came on board. Their big argument was that they could not afford to compensate drivers in the same way any more. THAT WAS the BIG LIE that they used as a scare tactic to pass the contract. Now that they have these commision based drivers, who do you think gets the tight routes and short travel to their delivery areas? So now when our next contract comes up, they will try to force commision down everyones throat! They can produce numbers to justify that their system works, but they aren't real numbers since the commision routes are specifically targeted to produce big numbers. In the meantime, this company is still very poorly managed and operated, and they talk the talk(putting our people first) but they sure don't walk the walk! They continue to seasonally lay off drivers and warehouseworkers, while bumbling on in management, and having no corresponding layoff in management. I've rambled far too long off topic already, but you get my point hopefully. The NHL has done a magnificent job of manipulating a report, not an audit, to justify their stance in this lockout. And for all you pro ownership folks, think about all the players whose careers barely even get off the ground and they are tossed aside and forgotten like a piece of spoiled meat. The physical toll on most NHL players over time, can not be over looked as to their amount of compensation. These players are gifted athletes who burn bright and fast for a very short time in the scheme of life, so to compare them to a regular job really isn't fair. Many live their entire lives in pain and on medication. I agree that a select few are making an obscene amount of money, but the vast majority, will never make enough from hockey to never work again, and that same vast majority are the guys in the trenches, takingone for the team, only to live in constant pain after their careers are over. Any player who crosses the line would be an absolute fool.

yes absolutley anyone who crosses the line would be a fool, but i wouldnt put it past to happen and if it does , hey man its NHL hockey--- in a sense---. I will watch just about any hockey on these days.

By the way Teamsters very good Union, great benefits and pension. My father is 29 years in with UPS ( Teamsters LOCAL 804 ) driving 18 wheelers/boxtrucks whatever and when retiring has a sweet $3,200 a month pension check coming every month. He just got my brother in and he is doing part time, because he just graduated 4 years of Hunter college with a degree in psycology and is 24 and is losing his benefits so he needed the job for benefits. Though it is not forever he will be going for his masters and PHD in psycology a total of 10 years of school.Alot of work and im damn proud of him.

Also no offense I like Pepsi better. ;)

patnyrnyg 02-06-2005 05:36 PM

Diet Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Pepper for me!!!!!

ChrisKreider20 02-06-2005 10:06 PM

Its pretty disappointing that u guys refer to these guys as scabs...they may not be the same calibur as the nhlers but there still world class athletes and i'm sure there much better than anyone on these boards including myself. These guys will only be making like 750 k so its not like there sucking up money. I think its unfair to call them scabs. :shakehead

Habsfan 32 02-06-2005 10:11 PM

I would go.