HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Sun: Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly rushing to become a complete player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278737)

Tyler Biggs 11-02-2012 04:59 PM

Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly rushing to become a complete player

Quote:

MOOSE JAW, SASK. - Morgan Rielly made it look easy.

Got the puck at the blue line. Took a couple of strides forward and avoided pressure from his check, in this case Medicine Hat Tigers forward Hunter Shinkaruk, regarded as a top prospect for the 2013 National Hockey League entry draft. Spun toward boards, came back to the blue line and passed to defence partner Travis Brown.

Stayed engaged and watched as the puck eventually was worked to Moose Jaw Warriors teammate Justin Kirsch, who banked it into the net off Tigers goaltender Cam Lanigan.

There was no assist on the play for Rielly, but the goal, the first for the Warriors in an eventual 3-2 loss in overtime on Sunday night at Mosaic Place, wouldn't have happened without his heads-up, take-charge decision.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/31...omplete-player

hockeygeek 11-02-2012 05:15 PM

Nice. Hope they get this one right and let him develop a full game. His play with the puck is very exciting

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 11-02-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeygeek (Post 55470631)
Nice. Hope they get this one right and let him develop a full game. His play with the puck is very exciting

Considering all the games Rielly missed last season I think lockout or not Toronto was sending him back to Moose Jaw. So whenever he does make the NHL he's going to be an even better player.

FlareKnight 11-02-2012 11:33 PM

I'll usually bypass something with the Sun connected to it, but nothing bad about reading this one :).

It's good that Rielly is getting this chance to just unleash upon the WHL after missing all that time last year. An exciting player to watch out there. Great to have a prospect like that, who you can just watch and really get excited about.

calcal798 11-03-2012 10:14 AM

Hunter Shinkaruk would be a nice pick up too.

KT7 11-03-2012 03:04 PM

I've seen him more than a couple of times, and this one's a player. Regardless of the leaf-bashing (Sens fan here), this guy will make an impact.

Great pickup for the Leafs - better days ahead for you guys.

I've always felt the Leafs were most effective when they had a driving force from the back-end, and this is the one. Combined with Gardiner (another guy I really like to form a top-two D) this will make a formidable core, perhaps one of the better in the league.

ULF_55 11-03-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 55481377)
I'll usually bypass something with the Sun connected to it, but nothing bad about reading this one :).

It's good that Rielly is getting this chance to just unleash upon the WHL after missing all that time last year. An exciting player to watch out there. Great to have a prospect like that, who you can just watch and really get excited about.

That doesn't sound good.

Sounds like you are saying if it was a something negative about the Leafs you wouldn't read it, but if it is positive you will.

We should not fear the truth.

Anyway, so far it is good for this draft pick.

Being on a poor team should give him lots of ice time, but playing against NHLers might make him work harder.

Leafs For Life* 11-03-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayzed1 (Post 55491889)
I've seen him more than a couple of times, and this one's a player. Regardless of the leaf-bashing (Sens fan here), this guy will make an impact.

Great pickup for the Leafs - better days ahead for you guys.

I've always felt the Leafs were most effective when they had a driving force from the back-end, and this is the one. Combined with Gardiner (another guy I really like to form a top-two D) this will make a formidable core, perhaps one of the better in the league.

Who will be the better Karlsson? Only time will tell..

Pi 11-03-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 55492063)
That doesn't sound good.

Sounds like you are saying if it was a something negative about the Leafs you wouldn't read it, but if it is positive you will.

We should not fear the truth.

Anyway, so far it is good for this draft pick.

Being on a poor team should give him lots of ice time, but playing against NHLers might make him work harder.

I think everyone just hates the Sun. With the Leafs as bad as they have been, I haven't seen many positive articles anyhow, but I do prefer the Globe and Mail, National Post, or even the Toronto Star even if it is negative about the Leafs over the Sun.

Steve Simmons and most of the Sun do not have any constructive criticism, they seem to have a personal vendetta against Burke for some reason.

ULF_55 11-03-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 55492221)
Steve Simmons and most of the Sun do not have any constructive criticism, they seem to have a personal vendetta against Burke for some reason.

Burke is easy to dislike. He really is.

However, the Leafs are easy to dislike and let's not forget Wilson was so full of himself it isn't like the press would be looking for nice things to write about him.

The press can be one huge mirror.

Leo Trollmarov 11-03-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 55492349)
Burke is easy to dislike. .

I find him very easy to like

KT7 11-03-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaffan16 (Post 55492069)
Who will be the better Karlsson? Only time will tell..

I may be to biased to answer this, so i'll leave this alone ;).

Joey Hoser 11-04-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes (Post 55492555)

He has a lot of personality for a GM, so that's going to encourage a lot of reaction and opinion over the things he does, in both directions.

Pierre Gotye 11-04-2012 07:16 PM

How is he physically? Is he shy from checking? Does he move bodies around the net?

mikebel111 11-04-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye (Post 55527319)
How is he physically? Is he shy from checking? Does he move bodies around the net?

he is not very physical, but he isn't afraid to mix it up,

Stats01 11-06-2012 09:37 AM

He definitely has size, 6 ft 205lbs along with his super skill set, he has the potential to be a star in a few years. I know as Leaf fans some of us on here are quick to press the "star" button on prospects, but this kid is a lock to become an impact player if all goes to plan and he stays healthy.

I would even say he has more potential than Gardiner, or is that just my excitement speaking :p

Thee Implication 11-06-2012 09:50 AM

This is so exciting. I remember my jaw being on the floor that we passed on Forseburg, now I couldn't be happier.

IBeL13f 11-06-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stats01 (Post 55561211)
He definitely has size, 6 ft 205lbs along with his super skill set, he has the potential to be a star in a few years. I know as Leaf fans some of us on here are quick to press the "star" button on prospects, but this kid is a lock to become an impact player if all goes to plan and he stays healthy.

I would even say he has more potential than Gardiner, or is that just my excitement speaking :p

I agree that Rielly has higher potential. People don't like that being thrown around because of how well Gardiner has already played at the NHL level, but Gardiner is also 4 years older than Rielly. I just can't wait until next season's training camp, because having one of these two on the ice at almost all times, with another full year of development under them, is going to be very exciting.

Tie Domi Esquire 11-06-2012 10:54 AM

How long until someone suggests the Leafs play him at center.

Rinzler 11-06-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes (Post 55492555)

Me too. Doesn't take **** from the Toronto Media, gets extremely involved in the local community and is able to withstand the pressure make moves that he wouldn't otherwise make.

Eyedea 11-06-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tie Domi Esquire (Post 55562847)
How long until someone suggests the Leafs play him at center.

Someone mentioned it before actually, I just took it as sarcasm though.