HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The 2004 Playoff Run (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278761)

ESH 11-02-2012 05:59 PM

The 2004 Playoff Run

Does anyone remember the lines and the defensive pairings that were used during those playoffs?

Also, who do you think would have won the Conn Smythe if the Flames had won the cup? Kipprusoff, Iginla, someone else?

tyflames 11-02-2012 08:17 PM

Not sure about the lines but this was the roster:
http://www.canoe.ca/StatsHKN/BC-HKN-...GARYROS-R.html

Either kipper or iginla possibly even Gelinas would have won the conn smythe likely

Skobel24 11-02-2012 09:39 PM

Gelinas - Conroy - Iginla
Nilson - Saprykin - Donovan
Nieminen - Lombardi - Clark
Simon - Yelle - Kobasew

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Ference
Gauthier - Montador/Lydman/Commodore

Something along those lines. Reinprecht and McAmmond were injured for the playoffs, sadly. I think I may have mixed up the 3rd and 4th line a bit, but the top 6 should be accurate.

As for the Conne Smythe, it would have been Kipper or Iggy. Probably Kipper. He was really the only reason this team made the playoffs, let alone go to the finals.

Johnny Hoxville 11-03-2012 01:10 AM

The Flames did win the Cup.

tyflames 11-03-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 55482827)
The Flames did win the Cup.

In 1989, yes.

Flameshomer 11-03-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel24 (Post 55478285)
Nilson - Saprykin - Donovan
Nieminen - Lombardi - Clark
Simon - Yelle - Kobasew

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Ference
Gauthier - Montador/Lydman/Commodore

Something along those lines. Reinprecht and McAmmond were injured for the playoffs, sadly. I think I may have mixed up the 3rd and 4th line a bit, but the top 6 should be accurate.

As for the Conne Smythe, it would have been Kipper or Iggy. Probably Kipper. He was really the only reason this team made the playoffs, let alone go to the finals.

On paper that team was awful. I always forget. hahaha. Shocking.
They played great hockey though, the forecheck was something to behold

WhereIsIt 11-03-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameshomer (Post 55491389)
On paper that team was awful. I always forget. hahaha. Shocking.
They played great hockey though, the forecheck was something to behold

That second line is barely third line quality. The impact coaching had on this team was phenomenal, we saw it this year too with the Kings.

Stewie Griffin 11-03-2012 03:10 PM

In the Finals (at least at the start, I recall Lydman returning midway), the lineup was looking like this:

Simon - Yelle - Donovan
Saprykin - Nilson - Clark
Nieminen - Lowry - Kobasew

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Ference
Montador - Commodore

When you think about it, that lineup has no business participating in the SCF, let alone taking it to seven games (with a questionable call that could have been six games...) Injuries played a significant role, to be sure.

Roughneck 11-03-2012 03:43 PM

I am outraged that people don't remember Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan as the money line that it was.

And no mentions of Oliwa? For shame!

TheHudlinator 11-03-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55492021)
In the Finals (at least at the start, I recall Lydman returning midway), the lineup was looking like this:

Simon - Yelle - Donovan
Saprykin - Nilson - Clark
Nieminen - Lowry - Kobasew

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Ference
Montador - Commodore

When you think about it, that lineup has no business participating in the SCF, let alone taking it to seven games (with a questionable call that could have been six games...) Injuries played a significant role, to be sure.

I love the Flames but on paper this team sucked. Sutter's coaching and Kipper's play was the only reason we got so far. There are only about 4 players on that team that could score at the time and yet the Sutter mentality managed to win out in the almost every time.

superhakan 11-03-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 55492809)
I love the Flames but on paper this team sucked. Sutter's coaching and Kipper's play was the only reason we got so far. There are only about 4 players on that team that could score at the time and yet the Sutter mentality managed to win out in the almost every time.

I will never love another team again the way I loved this one.

Grit and Goaltending.

Say what you want about the roster, but they were quick, feisty, and worked their ***** off. Probably the hardest working/hardest to play against teams of the last 15 years.

Johnny Hoxville 11-04-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyflames (Post 55486257)
In 1989, yes.

That's still a really sore topic for me. I'll think of that team as a Cup winner no matter what, a BS call can't change that in my mind.

PierreMcGuire* 11-04-2012 12:49 AM

Kipper would have won the Conn Symthe I imagine.

Backlund 11-04-2012 09:56 AM

I'm certain Kipper would've won the Conn Smythe.

Johnny Hoxville 11-04-2012 10:21 AM

I wouldn't say it was a certain. My pick would actually be Iggy. His performance that playoffs was legendary and among the best I've seen in a long time. There were many games he put the Flames on his back and willed the team to victory. Inspiring would be a massive understatement if I was trying to think of a word to describe his play.

MarkGio 11-04-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 55511341)
I wouldn't say it was a certain. My pick would actually be Iggy. His performance that playoffs was legendary and among the best I've seen in a long time. There were many games he put the Flames on his back and willed the team to victory. Inspiring would be a massive understatement if I was trying to think of a word to describe his play.

I concur. I too am pretty tender about the 04 playoff run. At first my hopes weren't high because they didn't have a talented team, but when they just kept finding ways to win games I thought it was fate.

And then Tampa Bay goes and picks up Stamkos and Hedman. It's like they couldn't take the Championship and run with it to turn around their franchise. They became bums afterwards.

Sean Monahan 11-04-2012 12:05 PM

Grind!!

Stewie Griffin 11-04-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 55492637)
I am outraged that people don't remember Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan as the money line that it was.

By the end, there really weren't set lines anyways, they were double shifting Saprykin FFS.

Oliwas three shifts/game don't count.

Skobel24 11-04-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 55492637)

Pretty sure that line was broken up when playoffs hit.

Skobel24 11-04-2012 08:31 PM

Honestly, it looks quite a bit better with McAmmond and Reinprecht in there.

Simon - Reinprecht - Donovan
Nieminen - Yelle - Nilson
Kobasew - Saprykin - Clark