HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   20 Greatest Red Wings (#5) Tiebreaker (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1278909)

pdd 11-02-2012 10:38 PM

20 Greatest Red Wings (#5) Tiebreaker

Sergei Fedorov vs. Terry Sawchuk.

Winner gets 5th place.

PierreMcGuire* 11-02-2012 10:46 PM

Federov.

RabbinsDuck 11-02-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 55480321)
Federov.

Sawchuck.

The Zetterberg Era 11-03-2012 12:13 AM

Fedorov over Sawchuk at least for me.

The Nose 11-03-2012 12:26 AM

Fedorov.

SoupNazi 11-04-2012 02:42 PM

Federov.

newfy 11-04-2012 02:57 PM

Sawchuk is a top 5 goalie of all time. Fedorov had 4 great playoff runs and one awesome regular season before being chaased from the team by one of the best owners in sports.

Sawchuk and it shouldnt be close

sarcastro 11-04-2012 04:02 PM

I think all of the people who voted for FedErov should have their votes nullified.

If he were that great, you'd know how to spell his name. :p:

RedWingsNow* 11-04-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfy (Post 55518781)
Sawchuk is a top 5 goalie of all time. Fedorov had 4 great playoff runs and one awesome regular season before being chaased from the team by one of the best owners in sports.

Most of us have no idea how good Sawchuk was. Most of us have not seen him play. Most of us didn't watch any hockey from his era. Hockey from the 1950s was much different than hockey in the 70s and hockey in the 90s.

This is why I don't even bother with historical rankings.

The Zetterberg Era 11-04-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfy (Post 55518781)

Worth pointing out Sawchuk was chased from the team not once but three times.

Bench 11-05-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 55521449)
Most of us have no idea how good Sawchuk was. Most of us have not seen him play. Most of us didn't watch any hockey from his era. Hockey from the 1950s was much different than hockey in the 70s and hockey in the 90s.

You're right, but these things are more about perception than reality.

(insert commentary about tomorrow's election)

newfy 11-05-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 55521449)

Then dont vote, but with a little research you can make pretty good rankings from WW2 on. I wont bother with guys like Eddie Shore or Howie Morenz however
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 55522147)
Worth pointing out Sawchuk was chased from the team not once but three times.

Yeah different times. Ted Lindsay was chased off the team for starting a union and stopped possibly one of the greatest dynasties ever from happening

pdd 11-05-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfy (Post 55556013)
Then dont vote, but with a little research you can make pretty good rankings from WW2 on. I wont bother with guys like Eddie Shore or Howie Morenz however

Yeah different times. Ted Lindsay was chased off the team for starting a union and stopped possibly one of the greatest dynasties ever from happening

Howie Morenz is an interesting case. He's generally regarded as "the first superstar" and an All-Time great, yet he was outscored more often than not by Marty Barry and Barry posted comparable career PPG. Was he so far ahead in other areas of the game that Barry was *ordinary* while Morenz was an All-Time great? I would need to know more about Morenz to find out the answer.

newfy 11-06-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 55556321)
Howie Morenz is an interesting case. He's generally regarded as "the first superstar" and an All-Time great, yet he was outscored more often than not by Marty Barry and Barry posted comparable career PPG. Was he so far ahead in other areas of the game that Barry was *ordinary* while Morenz was an All-Time great? I would need to know more about Morenz to find out the answer.

Thats the problem, its almost too long ago. Same with Shore, people say he was a mean, stay at home dman but he was actually considered an offensive dman who rarely led the league in defensive scoring but still managed 2 hart trophies

Sadekuuro 11-06-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfy (Post 55560795)
Thats the problem, its almost too long ago. Same with Shore, people say he was a mean, stay at home dman but he was actually considered an offensive dman who rarely led the league in defensive scoring but still managed 2 hart trophies

Four, actually.

But all the evidence suggests they actually considered defensemen for the Hart back then, making it not particularly comparable to today's.