HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Do/did your parents like hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279267)

Buck Aki Berg 11-03-2012 09:10 PM

Do/did your parents like hockey?

My dad has never had any use for hockey, but I give him credit for at least feigning enough interest in it to take me and my brother to our first hockey game on April 1, 1993 (I was 11, my brother 14 - we saw the Sens lose to the Nords 4-2 as a foot of snow fell outside).

My mom was quite the hockey fan in her youth, but completely lost interest when the league expanded to 12 teams. She knew just about every player on all six teams, but found herself unable to keep track of twelve full rosters.

Did you guys get your love of hockey from your parents, or did you pick it up somewhere else along the way?

Kane One 11-03-2012 09:12 PM

Yes, my dad had season tickets for the Isles during their dynasty.

I'm a Ranger fan. :laugh:

CRSeven 11-03-2012 09:13 PM

Neither of my parents like hockey.

Grant 11-03-2012 09:14 PM

My Dad loves hockey, my Mom hates it, she says 'it smells'.

bp spec 11-03-2012 09:15 PM

Mum doesn't care much. Dad played and still like the game.

PierreMcGuire* 11-03-2012 09:18 PM

Yes.

MattyMo35 11-03-2012 09:21 PM

Mom can't stand it. Dad used to love it, but pretty much abandoned it after the 2004-05 lockout. I'm pretty much the lone wolf.

HockeyFan100 11-03-2012 09:21 PM

My family are all Canuck fans while I'm the Avalanche fan. ;)

Noel92 11-03-2012 09:22 PM

My parents are so and so about it. They didn't really pay attention before I took a liking by myself, where they noticed and took me to a game. We watch games on TV together sometimes, and they are getting more interested.

seemsayin 11-03-2012 09:26 PM

dad loved it, mom only started to when I started playing

JackFr 11-03-2012 09:28 PM

My parents (and the rest of my family really) love World Juniors and Olympics and that's it.

AdmiralsFan24 11-03-2012 09:31 PM

Neither like it.

Vankiller Whale 11-03-2012 09:32 PM

Both are indifferent.

FrailSwan 11-03-2012 09:34 PM

Dad grew up in PA and liked the Flyers. Moved to Dallas and eventually led me to the Stars.

Dont Hinder Jinder 11-03-2012 09:40 PM

As the son of an immigrant, the Oilers dynasty days gave my dad a sense of belonging in his new community. The passion and love for the game that developed during that time was passed down to me as I stand before you the hockey nut I am.

HisIceness 11-03-2012 09:45 PM

Neither really have interest in the sport.

My grandma (dad's side of the family), while not a huge fan does occasionally follow the Hurricanes and knows some of the players present and past (Staal, Ward, Brind'Amour, Skinner, etc.) and also knows guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Brodeur, but for some reason she still thinks Peter Laviolette coaches the Hurricanes. :dunno:

Islanderfan17 11-03-2012 09:47 PM

My father took me to some games as a kid and I always was much more receptive to hockey games than any other games he brought me too (baseball and football, YUCK). I also played NHL Hitz a lot on the Gamecube with my neighbor growing up, so deep down I always liked it but I didn't become a hardcore fan until I went to an Isles/Rangers game in 2007 when I was older and able to get emotionally invested into the game more than I did as a little kid.

Big McLargehuge 11-03-2012 09:47 PM

My dad likes it, though I would never call him a superfan. My mother never cared about any sports.

berglund 11-03-2012 09:49 PM

My dad loves hockey. He is very up to date on everything in the NHL.

He's also well known for being a crazy good hockey player from my town, one of the best I guess.

AfroThunder396 11-03-2012 09:53 PM

My mom is a casual Sabres fan, but she wants the Devils (particularly Brodeur) to do well because she knows I love them.

Kekumba 11-03-2012 09:55 PM

Absolutely. I never would have had an involvement/interest in it as big as I did otherwise.

I remember my dad being a huge Leafs fan as I was growing up (never converted me, fyi). Now he has turned into more of a big fan of the game in general, while still being somewhat loyal to the Leafs. He still plays in an old timer league a few times a week.

Ozz 11-03-2012 10:05 PM

My parents turned into fanatics when I started playing, at least to watch me and my teams. Mom never missed a game, and if Dad did it was because he ran his own business as a mostly one-man operation and had no choice. It was minimal though. I'm 30 now and they still get excited to hear about my latest game.

As far as watching professional hockey, they followed the Penguins on their two recent Cup runs because I was flying to the Finals games and they took interest. They also went to a bunch of AHL games with me as a kid; they enjoyed it a lot but didn't go on their own. FWIW they were never into sports at all to begin with.

Beauner 11-03-2012 10:07 PM

My dad liked all sports growing up, but hockey was behind baseball and football. And possibly golf. But when I was little he took me to all kinds of games. Pirates, Steelers, and of course Penguins (mainly Pirates and Penguins because he got free tickets from his company). But once I really got into hockey, he did too. When his company gave up the tickets after 2005, he even took them over. I think it's his favorite sport now.

For a lady, my mom is a pretty good fan. She might watch American Idol instead of a game sometimes, but when a game is on I can always count on her yelling at the TV when something good or bad happens :laugh:. I'm pretty lucky to have the parents I do.

Butch 19 11-03-2012 10:23 PM

Both my parents are from Canada and they couldn't care less about hockey.

I was born and raised in So Cal and I love hockey.

Most of my relatives in Canada follow hockey to an extent, but no where near as much as I (& family) do.

Suddenly7 11-03-2012 11:28 PM

Located in Southern California and having Mexican parents. I would say my mother only became interested in hockey when I started playing. She can name a couple players and watch hockey whenever it's on TV. My father on the other hand doesn't look to interested in it.