HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   LSL Lions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279311)

IHaveNoCreativity 11-03-2012 10:50 PM

LSL Lions

What's the deal with these guys ?

I've heard so much regarding them, form politics to buying players... Know it all's to powerful parents...

Q teams shying away from these kids...

I just don't get all the fuss..

RJQuack 11-04-2012 12:02 AM

See: Drouin, de Luca ;)

This midget team was the subject of much.... Criticism, I suppose, last season I remember that..

IHaveNoCreativity 11-04-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks (Post 55505741)
See: Drouin, de Luca ;)

This midget team was the subject of much.... Criticism, I suppose, last season I remember that..

I know that those too had issues....

I've heard that they've consistently approached top players and offered to pay them to play for them...

I understand that they also have a Jr.Lions group which once featured Connor McDavid.

HockeyFever1987 11-06-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 55504401)

I've heard so much regarding them, form politics to buying players... Know it all's to powerful parents...

"There is no fuss...."
No one really talks about them other than you, who always has to mention them in all your posts.
Haven't seen this team play once but I feel like I know their organization to the tee with your indulging posts about them supposedly being bad, player stealing, Q scouts staying away, etc...

IHaveNoCreativity 11-06-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFever1987 (Post 55566659)
"There is no fuss...."
No one really talks about them other than you, who always has to mention them in all your posts.
Haven't seen this team play once but I feel like I know their organization to the tee with your indulging posts about them supposedly being bad, player stealing, Q scouts staying away, etc...

When you spend as much time as I do in a hockey rink, you start to here things that baffle you....

The things I've heard about LSL hockey in general are ridiculous... I find consulting and 2nd opinions help one make decisions...

I'm by no means a Lions hater... Maybe their success has made a big fuss...

I'm neutral on them.

We can talk about the good things if you'd like ?

Bjindaho 11-07-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 55504401)

LSL has a reputation for recommending NCAA (and preparing kids for it) which rubs some the wrong way. They tend to have very good players, but a lot of them don't consider the Q a first option.

Galchenyuk x 27 11-07-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjindaho (Post 55592837)
LSL has a reputation for recommending NCAA (and preparing kids for it) which rubs some the wrong way. They tend to have very good players, but a lot of them don't consider the Q a first option.

Which is a very smart and intelligent decision.

I love watching Q hockey but kids in the Q don't need to go to school and ive seen it happen way to happen where they finish their junior career, are not offered to play pro anywhere and have no education to rely on.

Where as going to prep school and then NCAA the kids have something to fall back on when and if the hockey playing career doesn't work out for them here or over seas

IHaveNoCreativity 11-07-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x6 Pacioretty 7x (Post 55597083)
Which is a very smart and intelligent decision.

I love watching Q hockey but kids in the Q don't need to go to school and ive seen it happen way to happen where they finish their junior career, are not offered to play pro anywhere and have no education to rely on.

Where as going to prep school and then NCAA the kids have something to fall back on when and if the hockey playing career doesn't work out for them here or over seas

Interesting that they recommend it, to be honest it's the smarter choice..

But is that really the main reason why they get flack ?

Are Duclair and Drouin the only players in their history that have caused controversy ?

Bjindaho 11-07-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 55597387)

Are Duclair and Drouin the only players in their history that have caused controversy ?

I can remember Louis Leblanc was controversial as well. Quebec was going to draft him and reports were that he was going to go there (even with the Harvard option), but he was drafted before Quebec could snatch him.

jfb392 11-07-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 55597387)

Matheson was a big one too, and I remember many more being talked about as being more talented than their eventual draft position would indicate.

hockey365 11-07-2012 07:38 PM

What's the big deal??? This team is the ONLY OFFICIAL Anglophone Midget team in Qc, so, it's only normal that US colleges are attracted to their players. The West Island, where they play, is predominantly English, so you have more English speaking kids than French speaking kids. Hence, making it more attractive to US colleges.

What they succeeded on doing from my recolection:

Leblanc - Harvard, draft pick
4 Biega brothers - Prep school and 3 at Harvard, 2 out 4 brothers draft picks
Kilhorn - Harvard, draft pick
Cisse - BU, draft pick
Matheson - BC, draft pick
Fournier - Q, draft pick
Culkin - Q, draft pick
Mannetti - US college(forgot which one)
Etchegary - potential draft pick 2013 (he moved from out East to play in this region)

ALL FROM THAT REGION!!!! No contreversy

Out of the region:

Duclair, Drouin: they were playing with the Jr Lions since they were 10 yrs old
Brassard, Domingue: Cut from their original Midget teams, Lions picked them up

They've produced as many players for Junior Major then college and prep schools. If someone say the contratry, they don't know what they're talking about. I can count at least 12 players currently in the Q or drafted from that team.

If any of you have an opportunity to go to Pierrefonds 4 Ice Rink, in their region, please do. When you walk in, you'll see on their walls every single player from the Lac St-Louis region that ever made it into the pros. The walls are filled with players, the highest ranked, Vincent Lecavalier and Guy Lafleur. They have over 300 players, coaches refs coming from that region. This region has been successful for a very long time.

All this to say, this region does produce high end players, the focus is on development. The Lions identify a core of players 4 to 5 yrs before they reach midget and develops these players through their elite program. Once they reach Midget, they surround these players with very good secondary players, in order to develop that core. This is their phylosophy.

For example, Drouin, Duclair, Culkin, Matheson and Brassard were obviously their core players 2 yrs ago. Look where they are now....

This does not go well with everyone, because there are very good players who do not make it. Because the core players get 50 to 65% of the playing time, but so far, this approach has been very successful in developping these core players.

IHaveNoCreativity 11-07-2012 08:09 PM

Sounds like they play by the rules, I know of the junior lions, in fact they have a few scattered across the younger levels...

So they work with the kids for 6-7 years ? That would explain why they are constantly a top team.