HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Chicago Wolves (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279481)

1ntrovert* 11-04-2012 12:32 PM

Chicago Wolves

I am from Vancouver and rarely get a chance to see the Wolves in action unless here in Abby. Does anyone from this board watch them regulary? Or do you guys despise them as Vancouvers farm team? I would be interested in yours guys thoughts on players for those of you who do get to watch.

IU Hawks fan 11-04-2012 01:01 PM

Was a big fan of them growing. Won't root for them again until they change their affiliation.

brtriad 11-04-2012 01:02 PM

Chicagoans have hated the wolves long before they were the nucks affiliate. Its just another excuse not to like them.

IU Hawks fan 11-04-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 55515267)
Chicagoans have hated the wolves long before they were the nucks affiliate. Its just another excuse not to like them.

Yeah, they're so hated here by everyone that they're in the top 5 in AHL attendance year in and year out. :shakehead

ChiGuySez 11-04-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 55515267)

Wolves were the alternative to the oppressive rule of WWW so I can understand the older crowd that became fans but Rocky has the team now. Never been a fan, never will be. Nucks can well... go golfing.

brtriad 11-04-2012 02:17 PM

I grew up hating the Wolves because it was either the Hawks or the Wolves. All of my friends are the same way.

IU Hawks fan 11-04-2012 02:30 PM

I went to a ton of Wolves games growing up. Never effected my Hawks fandom.

coldsteelonice84 11-09-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 55517509)
I grew up hating the Wolves because it was either the Hawks or the Wolves. All of my friends are the same way.

I'm with you. I didn't hate the Wolves but the Hawks were the only team for me. NHL or nothing. And I did enjoy their ads trashing the Hawks just because it pissed Wirtz off.

Hawkaholic 11-09-2012 12:00 PM

Don't think anyone on this site really cares about the Wolves.

Moore Money 11-09-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 55515245)
Was a big fan of them growing. Won't root for them again until they change their affiliation.

yeah no kidding. Same thing for me when it comes to the Abotsford Heat (Flames farm team). How can anyone cheer for hated rivalry prospects?

WTF are they thinking when they come up with this ****?

coldsteelonice84 11-09-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoolChamp (Post 55644791)
yeah no kidding. Same thing for me when it comes to the Abotsford Heat (Flames farm team). How can anyone cheer for hated rivalry prospects?

I can't speak to Abbotsford but the only reason there is a team in Rockford is because of the animosity between the Wolves and Wirtz. They used to have commercials that went like "the only real hockey team in Chicago", "our games are on TV", etc., always taking shots at Wirtz and the Hawks. There is no way the two teams would ever be connected, as much as sense as it makes, as great as it would be for the fans, of course, we get **** on again, oh well, at least Rockford comes here a decent amount.

IU Hawks fan 11-09-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoolChamp (Post 55644791)

It was really the only option there was. When the Thrashers moved north, it was a given they'd be affilated with the then Moose, seeing as TNSE own them. That left the Canucks and Wolves as the only 2 teams available to affilate with.

coldsteelonice84 11-09-2012 01:20 PM

The Wolves would have been the Hawks affiliate before the Thrashers came into existence if there wasn't so much bad blood. It goes against all logic that it isn't and never will be the case.

IU Hawks fan 11-09-2012 01:27 PM

It was always in the Wolves interests to be an unaffilated club. That was when they had their most success, both on and off the ice. When the IHL folded, that was no longer possible. It was a much more fun team to root for when players stayed around for years and knew they were playing out their careers here.

coldsteelonice84 11-09-2012 01:29 PM

Yeah, who can forget Steve Maltais and Wendell Young. I always looked at Maltais and wondered why he couldn't be 3rd liner or something in the NHL, guy was a beast.

IU Hawks fan 11-09-2012 01:37 PM

Yeah, he had a ton of chances to make the jump and for whatever reason couldn't cut it.

No Fun Shogun 11-09-2012 01:52 PM

I personally like the Wolves (and think that the so-called animosity that Hawks fans have for the team is mostly limited to people that weren't attending their games anyway and just want to bash on the Nucks having anything to do with Chicagoland), and actually am thinking about getting a maroon sweater of theirs this season, but haven't had a chance to go to a regular season game yet. Will likely be going to one in at least the next couple weeks. Then again, it's also fairly convenient for me, as I'm northwest of the city as well and going to Rosemont would be a bit of a trek for people in the city itself or in the west/south suburbs. Northwest and north suburbs are mostly where Wolves fans are focused.

I did catch a preseason game between the Wolves and Peoria in Hoffman Estates, but nothing really stood out in that game worthwhile to report about.

Cullksinikers 11-09-2012 02:05 PM

Have never gone to a Wolves game. Will only go if they are playing Rockford (contingent on them staying the Hawks' affiliate, which I see no reason why that will change). Seeing them become Vancouver's affiliate gives me more of a reason not to support them. However, I am sure the rivalry between the Hawks and Nucks will die down soon.

ChiGuySez 11-09-2012 02:26 PM

Looks like the Wolves still own the Hogs. Though the tide would change with the prospects being sent there this year but nope. SOS.

IU Hawks fan 11-09-2012 02:31 PM

The Wolves play to WIN. That's how they run their organization. Most other AHL teams are ran to develop.

ChiGuySez 11-09-2012 02:48 PM

Everyone plays to win. The Wolves just stock their team with AHL lifers more than others.

No Fun Shogun 11-09-2012 02:58 PM

Yeah, but it's less of a ratio for the Wolves than other teams. IceHogs put most focus on trying to develop talent, Wolves focus more on trying to raise another banner. Makes them a good team to follow, but not not a very good team to try to develop prospects. Them not being affiliated with the Blackhawks is a blessing in disguise, really.

In fact, we should actually all be stoked that the Nucks are with a team like the Wolves for that very reason. They will give preferential icetime for AHL lifers over 3rd and 4th line prospects any day of the week, which could very easily inhibit their depth development in the long-term.

DisgruntledHawkFan 11-09-2012 03:13 PM

Went to a couple games a year up until they switched affiliates.