HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Moving To Calgary!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279517)

adamp12345 11-04-2012 02:00 PM

Moving To Calgary!!

hey im moving to calgary in the new year, and i was just wondering if you guys can give me some advice on good places to rent or buy a place to live, some fun thing to do around the city, and how are the females out there haha

BVicious 11-04-2012 09:07 PM

You wanna look in the SW and NW for places to live. Mountains are an hour away, lots to do out there. Pub scene is great, women are hot but snobs. I'm born and raised here and I've never seen such snobby women in my life. Other than that, Calgary is a great place to live. And go to Mount Royal University just for the hell of it cuz the ladies are wowza!

ALI 11-04-2012 09:57 PM

Live SW - SE because NE way to dirty (no racism intended) like rats bad quality. Nw its pretty far. South just perfect. places to go Chinook, South center.

WhereIsIt 11-04-2012 10:18 PM

SW is the best to live in, NW is alright but not a big fan of the newer neighbourhoods, and NE is **** of course.

There's plenty to do here in the, and of course if you want to be closer to the action you should be closer to downtown.

I've done a fair bit of traveling, calgary girls are among the best looking out there but not so much as far as approachability, haha. Just my opinion.

FLAMES666 11-04-2012 10:50 PM

Where are you working, and why exactly are you moving here? That will help give an opinion on where you should live.

Stewie Griffin 11-05-2012 10:25 AM

Forget NE/SE designations - you want to live west of Deerfoot Trail. That way, you don't get the pollution as bad as the prevailing winds are generally from the west.

Knowing where you plan to work is key - Calgary is a large geographical area. If you're working in the northeast (like, near the airport) living to the SW would be stupid because your commute would be an hour on a good day.

As for the women, YMMV. Like everywhere, there's some foxes and there's some dogs.

InfinityIggy 11-05-2012 12:22 PM

I live in the SE in Riverbend, its getting a bit of a bum wrap in this thread.

The communities out in the SE are somewhat newer, Quarry Park is a brand new community. Not too far from Chinook, and its a really beautiful little area. The SE is also a lot more "open" more open roads and more tree's/little parks/less dense communities IMO than the SW. The SW is great for getting around though, and has some nice communities too. Its also near/easier to get downtown from the SW.

Only place I wouldn't advise living is the NE as it takes forever to get anywhere from there. This is totally dependent on where you work though. I would recommend the SW/SE if you are looking for nicer communities though.

Stewie Griffin 11-06-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVicious (Post 55530405)
You wanna look in the SW and NW for places to live. Mountains are an hour away, lots to do out there. Pub scene is great, women are hot but snobs. I'm born and raised here and I've never seen such snobby women in my life. Other than that, Calgary is a great place to live. And go to Mount Royal University just for the hell of it cuz the ladies are wowza!

Not for nothing, but if you use words like wowza in real life, the ladies will always appear to be snobs. ;)

BVicious 11-06-2012 03:17 PM

I do just fine thx.

slappipappi 11-07-2012 06:35 AM

Assuming you work downtown, you should, like everyone else in Calgary, try to live as close to downtown as you can.

InfinityIggy 11-07-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55563319)
Not for nothing, but if you use words like wowza in real life, the ladies will always appear to be snobs. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVicious (Post 55570231)
I do just fine thx.

Touched a nerve. ;)

nogger 11-07-2012 09:54 PM

I lived in the NW by the University a few years back. Prime location, never had a complaint.

Nw >>

DBU 11-07-2012 11:10 PM

SW representin'.

crunchyblack* 11-10-2012 10:15 AM

NW playaaaaaaa

Carolinas Identity 11-13-2012 02:29 PM

The NE isn't quite as bad as most would have you believe. I've lived there for a while now, tho more north than north east I guess.

But ya, knowing why you're comin out here will help to give better advice on location//things to do :)

Sean Monahan 11-15-2012 11:01 AM

NW representttt

close to downtown and everything

DBU 11-15-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla (Post 55785077)
NW representttt

close to downtown and everything

SW, close to Chinook center, downtown, Deerfoot ;)

Rangediddy 11-18-2012 07:19 PM

Don't live in the NE at all, don't live in the SE if you have to drive to work. I grew up in NW close to Uni and it was ideal. Close to Uni, close to Market Mall (not much worse than Chinook at all), lots of pubs and restaurants.

Wherever you do live, just live close to the train line and you can go and do everything.

Personally, I work and live downtown and love it. I feel safe, it's convenient, relatively cheap and saves a ton of money on having to drive anywhere. I still have a car, but only really use it to get to the mountains.

You'll love Calgary.