HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sochi 2014: Pre-qualification (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279519)

hz 11-04-2012 02:10 PM

Sochi 2014: Pre-qualification

This weekend the second round of third qualification rounds starts. Hungary and Ukraine will be huge favourites for their groups. Third group looks more even.

No Zubrus for Lithuania, but Ponikarovskyj and Fedotenko will suit up for Ukraine.

Group G
Hungary
Netherlands
Lithuania
Croatia

Group H
Ukraine
Poland
Estonia
Spain

Group J
Great Britain
Japan
Romania
South Korea

Maybe you could help me with TV-broadscasts? Anyone know if polish-TV will air some game?

cska78 11-04-2012 05:09 PM

i think mr pondus will have a say about Ukrain's domination, lol

SoundAndFury 11-05-2012 05:30 AM

Maybe someone could shed some light on Croatian team and hockey system in general?

They have one of the best teams in Austrian league - Medvescak which is stacked with Canadians and children of Croatian immigrants from NA. This part is pretty clear but since only 4 Medvescak players play for NT it doesn't help much.

Then they have a team in the Slovenian league but I have no idea what the level of the league is like. Since it's being dominated by Serbian team I guess it's not much of the level at all.

And finally they have Croatian league which is pretty much a joke.

So what's the overall level of their NT?

ficohok* 11-05-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 55535981)
Maybe someone could shed some light on Croatian team and hockey system in general?

They have one of the best teams in Austrian league - Medvescak which is stacked with Canadians and children of Croatian immigrants from NA. This part is pretty clear but since only 4 Medvescak players play for NT it doesn't help much.

Then they have a team in the Slovenian league but I have no idea what the level of the league is like. Since it's being dominated by Serbian team I guess it's not much of the level at all.

And finally they have Croatian league which is pretty much a joke.

So what's the overall level of their NT?

I will...everything what you wrote is more or less correct, except the part about team in slovenian league. Slohokej league doesn't exist anymore, so core of our national team plays only our league which can be considered as little more serious beer league.

More bad news...John Hecimovic, who played two seasons for Medvescak (around 100pts in 120+games) is injured. He currently plays in EBEL as well, but for Dornbirn. Young Kanaet who plays in Zvolen/Detva is also out for this qualifications. Ryan Kinasewich miss few more months in order to complete "two-years rule", and he is also lost for NT (forever).

Biggest star is Borna Rendulić, HPK forward who is currently on loan at Mestis team Pelitat, where he has 4 points in 5 games.

About level of our NT...When we dress all the best we have at disposal we are too strong for D2A and can avoid relegation in D1B. But level of our NT could go up after this season, because six new Medvescak's players will be eligible to play for NT. When/if Medvescak joins KHL then they will sign even better players with croatian heritage which could boost strenght of NT even more.

Our chances at this qualification tournament are slim. Managment said this tournament will serve as preparation for WCD2A which will be held in Zagreb and where Croatia will seek for promotion.

If you have any other questions regarding Croatian hockey or NT feel free to ask :)

cska78 11-05-2012 08:18 AM

what happened to Slovenian league? is there a new balkan league instead?

Thesensation19 11-05-2012 08:55 AM

I am dreaming big but as a Croatian American, I am rooting for Croatia to win that group. It will be extremely difficult but the country has made huge strides in its hockey progress. When do these qualification games start?

Wasnt Croatia 1 goal away from beating Romania, a game which would have decided who moves into the next division group. 1 goal from being ranked 27th and not 31st...

Between this stage and the next qualification stage... it seems Croatia has one of the eastiest groups. Lets see :)

Thesensation19 11-05-2012 09:06 AM

I would not say that the Croatian league is a joke. Its growing with popularity of Medvescak but I wont call it a joke because every league after the top 10 is all in the same boat. Its a poor man's pro league. Serbia's league is far more of a joke than Croatia's league, and no I am not a homer or hate Serbia. I know people who played on teams in the Serbia league and they barely played D3 hockey in the USA. At least the Cro league has Medvescak who has brought popularity of the game to Croatia and the league has grown a bit in recent years.

The Medved are now 12th most popular league in Europe. Crazy for a team in Croatia, and in a league located in Austria. I would think far more teams would be popular within the Swed/Swiss/Fin/Czech/German and Russian leagues. But 12th is impressive and will continue to grow.

The qualification is VERY difficult for any team ranked above 20th lol. But I feel that Croatia has got lucky with their group... and if they win that group (pray lol) they seem to have the easiest group after that. if im not mistaken, Wikipeda showed the next qualifying groups showing a vacant spot from winners of this qualifying group.

So it looks like we got lucky in placement, but still will be difficult. Utimatley im proud where the Country is going with this

ficohok* 11-05-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 55536951)
what happened to Slovenian league? is there a new balkan league instead?

No, slovenian clubs plays in 2nd tier league of Austria called nationalleague, serbian club Partizan plays in Serbian league (5 clubs) and croatian clubs plays in croatian league.

SoundAndFury 11-05-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannheim (Post 55536311)
Our chances at this qualification tournament are slim. Managment said this tournament will serve as preparation for WCD2A which will be held in Zagreb and where Croatia will seek for promotion.

If you have any other questions regarding Croatian hockey or NT feel free to ask :)

Thank you very much.

Chances at this tournament.. Let's put it this way, Croatia has no chance whatsoever as well as Holland and Lithuania. I expect Lithuania to be beaten by 6-10 goals by Hungary and it doesn't seem like Croatia is in much better position.

ficohok* 11-05-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 55537375)
I am dreaming big but as a Croatian American, I am rooting for Croatia to win that group. It will be extremely difficult but the country has made huge strides in its hockey progress. When do these qualification games start?

Wasnt Croatia 1 goal away from beating Romania, a game which would have decided who moves into the next division group. 1 goal from being ranked 27th and not 31st...

Between this stage and the next qualification stage... it seems Croatia has one of the eastiest groups. Lets see :)

Qualifications starts on friday 9th and lasts until sunday 11th. It is nice to dream, but Croatia has no chance at winning it. Few minutes ago I got info that MacAulay and Sertich won't play for Croatia at this tournament. Both of them are very good D's for Medvescak in EBEL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 55537525)
I would not say that the Croatian league is a joke. Its growing with popularity of Medvescak but I wont call it a joke because every league after the top 10 is all in the same boat.

The Medved are now 12th most popular league in Europe. Crazy for a team in Croatia, and in a league located in Austria. I would think far more teams would be popular within the Swed/Swiss/Fin/Czech/German and Russian leagues. But 12th is impressive and will continue to grow.

So it looks like we got lucky in placement, but still will be difficult. Utimatley im proud where the Country is going with this

Sorry, but our league is a joke. :) Medveščak is popular due to EBEL league, not Croatian one, and in Cro league plays their farm team, not the "real" one from EBEL. Same about attendance, they are 12th most attendet club because of EBEL.

SoundAndFury 11-05-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

I would not say that the Croatian league is a joke. Its growing with popularity of Medvescak but I wont call it a joke because every league after the top 10 is all in the same boat. Its a poor man's pro league.

All these leagues are pretty much a joke. Yes, they're all in the same boat but that doesn't make them better.

SoundAndFury 11-05-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannheim (Post 55537677)
Qualifications starts on friday 9th and lasts until sunday 11th. It is nice to dream, but Croatia has no chance at winning it. Few minutes ago I got info that MacAulay and Sertich won't play for Croatia at this tournament. Both of them are very good D's for Medvescak in EBEL.

These were the only guys I knew on that team :laugh: Now I have absolutely no doubt Croatia is bound to finish last in this group.

ficohok* 11-05-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 55537375)
but the country has made huge strides in its hockey progress.

Wow, I didn't notice this first time. Sorry, but this is not correct. Hockey progress is something diffirent then having a professional team consisted of 20 foreginers who taught hockey in USA/Canada/Sweden/Swiss/Germany. :)

SoundAndFury 11-05-2012 03:52 PM

Lithuanian roster, maybe somebody is interested

Goalies:
Mantas Armalis (Mora IK, Allsvenskan; currently on loan at Tranĺs AIF, Division 1), Arūnas Aleinikovas („Energija“, Lithuania)

Defensemen:

Tomas Vyšniauskas („Energija“), Rolandas Aliukonis („Energija“), Artūras Katulis („Berkut Kiev“, Ukraine), Karolis Kubilius („Energija“), Justinas Vėželis („Energija“), Nerijus Ališauskas („Liepajas Metalurgs“, Latvia/Belarus), Valdas Pikčius („Energija“)

Forwards:

Dalius Vaiciukevičius („Energija“), Dovydas Kulevičius („Energija“), Algimantas Visockas („Energija“), Vytautas Jagelavičius („Energija“), Remigijus Guoga (Kėdainių LRK, Lithuania), Povilas Verenis („Liepajas Metalurgs“, Latvia/Belarus), Andrejus Židkovas („Energija“), Laisvydas Rimkus („Energija“), Aivaras Bendžius („Ilves Tampere“, Finland), Danielius Bogdziulis („Ilves Tampere“, Finalnd), Šarūnas Kuliešius („Energija“), Deividas Kazlauskas („Energija“)

Missing ~10 of the best players, still better than Croatia :sarcasm:

ficohok* 11-05-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 55545239)

Missing ~10 of the best players, still better than Croatia :sarcasm:

We are missing seven players :) Hopefully all of them will be healthy for WC.

EbencoyE 11-07-2012 12:01 PM

Even the Dutch are missing a lot of their top talent, this will be a cake-walk for Hungary who is only missing one good player (Zoltan)

The other groups should be much closer. Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky are injured so Poland might actually have a chance against Ukraine. Japan - GB should be a good game as well. South Korea might even claim an upset as they have been improving dramatically, and travel won't be so bad for them.

QnebO 11-08-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

The Medved are 12th most popular? I dont think so.. Not with disrespect, but thats not realistic. Actually you told me first time about the team now.. That could be just me thought, but how is it 12th most popular? All the NHL teams are more popular in europe, just for example. Then theres tons of well known teams in european leagues.. The team you mentioned is not popular, I think.

SoundAndFury 11-08-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 55615889)
The Medved are 12th most popular? I dont think so.. Not with disrespect, but thats not realistic. Actually you told me first time about the team now.. That could be just me thought, but how is it 12th most popular? All the NHL teams are more popular in europe, just for example. Then theres tons of well known teams in european leagues.. The team you mentioned is not popular, I think.

It's 12th attendance-wise, I believe. And there are not tons of well known teams in Europe. As the best team in Austrian league is apparently irrelevant and unheard of to Finn the same goes for Finnish teams in Austria.

Medvescak obviously is very popular team although only locally. But you can say the same about pretty much every team in Europe with very few exceptions.

ficohok* 11-08-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 55615889)

They are 12th club with most attendance per game in Europe ;) Of course they are not popular among hockey fans in rest of Europe or world and nobody even expect that.

SoundAndFury 11-08-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EbencoyE (Post 55597757)
The other groups should be much closer. Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky are injured so Poland might actually have a chance against Ukraine.

They are both playing and have already scored.

EbencoyE 11-08-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 55622253)
They are both playing and have already scored.

Oh, good news! Are you watching a stream or just following updates?

SoundAndFury 11-08-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EbencoyE (Post 55624147)
Oh, good news! Are you watching a stream or just following updates?

Yeah, I was watching the stream.

FlutteringSaucer 11-08-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannheim (Post 55616707)
They are 12th club with most attendance per game in Europe ;) Of course they are not popular among hockey fans in rest of Europe or world and nobody even expect that.

Yeah that is a crazy stat. :)

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/?page=0700

I heard a rumor that it might be because hockey is the only sport in Croatia where spectators are allowed to drink beer in the stands, is this true? :laugh:

ficohok* 11-08-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPena (Post 55627601)
Yeah that is a crazy stat. :)

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/?page=0700

I heard a rumor that it might be because hockey is the only sport in Croatia where spectators are allowed to drink beer in the stands, is this true? :laugh:

That is true, but that is not a reason why stands are full every night. In late 80-s hockey was popular just like today is, main problem between 1991-2009. why hockey was so poorly attended is very low level of our league. Thankfully EBEL changed it all and Medvescak is mighty again competing with traditional rivals from Slovenia and against Austrian clubs :)

BayStreetBully 11-08-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 55626113)
Yeah, I was watching the stream.

Does anyone have the stream for the Britain-Korea game playing in a few hours?