HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Football (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   BCS: 2012-13 College Bowl Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279609)

Colt45Blast 11-04-2012 07:31 PM

2012-13 College Bowl Discussion

We are once again nearing the College Bowl Games and each passing week now will paint a more clearer picture of who will end up where.

Discuss

Mike Emrick 11-04-2012 07:39 PM

I think Arizona is going to a bowl game. I like the job Rich Rodriguez is doing!

Epsilon 11-04-2012 07:51 PM

BCS: Alabama vs. Oregon

rationale: They will both go undefeated, Alabama is obvious, and Oregon will move up to #2 by staying #2 in the polls and improving their computer ranking as they end the season with their toughest opponents.

Rose: Nebraska vs. Oregon State

rationale: Nebraska looks well-positioned at the moment to win their division and play against a weak opponent from the other where Ohio State is not eligible. Oregon State will beat Stanford, lose to Oregon, and be the only remaining PAC-12 team with 2 losses.

Sugar: LSU vs. Oklahoma

rationale: LSU will be the top-ranked remaining SEC team after Georgia is blown out in the SEC championship game and Florida loses to Florida State. Oklahoma qualifies as an at-large team that obviously brings a huge fanbase and sets up a marquee matchup.

Fiesta: Kansas State vs. Notre Dame

rationale: This will happen even if neither team finishes undefeated. Kansas State will get the Big XII champion's automatic spot, and the Fiesta Bowl has first choice of at-large teams; they would be foolish to pick anyone other than Notre Dame in this scenario.

Orange: Florida State vs. Louisville

Florida State is the top team in ACC even with their loss to NC State, while Louisville is well-positioned to win the Big East.

I don't think any mid-major team will finish ranked high enough to qualify for a BCS game, even with the possibility the B1G champ is not in the Top 16 (unlikely, I think, if Nebraska wins out).

Chairman Mallard 11-04-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 55528393)
BCS: Alabama vs. Oregon

rationale: They will both go undefeated, Alabama is obvious, and Oregon will move up to #2 by staying #2 in the polls and improving their computer ranking as they end the season with their toughest opponents.

Rose: Nebraska vs. Oregon State

rationale: Nebraska looks well-positioned at the moment to win their division and play against a weak opponent from the other where Ohio State is not eligible. Oregon State will beat Stanford, lose to Oregon, and be the only remaining PAC-12 team with 2 losses.

Sugar: LSU vs. Oklahoma

rationale: LSU will be the top-ranked remaining SEC team after Georgia is blown out in the SEC championship game and Florida loses to Florida State. Oklahoma qualifies as an at-large team that obviously brings a huge fanbase and sets up a marquee matchup.

Fiesta: Kansas State vs. Notre Dame

rationale: This will happen even if neither team finishes undefeated. Kansas State will get the Big XII champion's automatic spot, and the Fiesta Bowl has first choice of at-large teams; they would be foolish to pick anyone other than Notre Dame in this scenario.

Orange: Florida State vs. Louisville

Florida State is the top team in ACC even with their loss to NC State, while Louisville is well-positioned to win the Big East.

I don't think any mid-major team will finish ranked high enough to qualify for a BCS game, even with the possibility the B1G champ is not in the Top 16 (unlikely, I think, if Nebraska wins out).

Pretty much spot on with my thoughts, except I definitely question whether or not Oregon St. beats Stanford. I think that will be a very competitive game.

Justified 11-04-2012 08:24 PM

Im not sure about what order the Bowls pick, but alot of sites have Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. And if LSU were to go to the Sugar Bowl which could happen, then that means it could be Texas vs. Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

Epsilon 11-04-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justified (Post 55529231)
Im not sure about what order the Bowls pick, but alot of sites have Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. And if LSU were to go to the Sugar Bowl which could happen, then that means it could be Texas vs. Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

Fiesta has first at-large pick this year, per the BCS website.

MurrayBannerman 11-04-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 55529301)

Rose gets the first pick if a PAC-12 team fails to qualify to replace Oregon.

Justified 11-04-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 55529301)

Then Notre Dame would be going to Tempe in that scenario like you have it.

Epsilon 11-04-2012 09:46 PM

Stewart Mandel has pretty much the same bowl projection I made up, but with Florida in place of LSU:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...vertime/1.html

Brad Tolliver 11-04-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justified (Post 55529737)
Then Notre Dame would be going to Tempe in that scenario like you have it.

Bowls that lose AQ teams to the BCSNG get the first "at-large" pick. Fiesta would only get the 1st pick if K-State is BCS #1.

LatvianTwist 11-04-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justified (Post 55529231)

Wouldn't that just be sweet. :laugh:

SpinTheBlackCircle 11-04-2012 11:15 PM

Louisville would beat Georgia and South Carolina.

Justified 11-04-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 55533437)
Louisville would beat Georgia and South Carolina.

Im curious about your reasoning . Louisville's hardest games are coming up and despite being undefeated they have struggled against some bad teams. Only time will tell.

SpinTheBlackCircle 11-05-2012 07:53 AM

I think Bridgewater is better than any QB they have played yet and I like the head coach a ton. I'm probably wrong, but I like how they play.

Hockeyfan02 11-05-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 55536751)
I think Bridgewater is better than any QB they have played yet and I like the head coach a ton. I'm probably wrong, but I like how they play.

I think Louisville is a solid team but they've beaten only two decent teams. I think any of the other top 15 teams would beat them. Your statement about Bridgewater is maybe true but Louisville also hasn't had to block guys like Jarvis Jones, Clowney, Devin Taylor, John Jenkins, etc. Charlie Strong is a good coach and he's probably moving up the ladder if the rumors about him and Arkansas are true. They'll get their chance to prove themselves if they beat Rutgers and get to a BCS bowl.

Epsilon 11-05-2012 09:13 AM

Louisville is the only team in the Big East who could acquit themselves moderately well in a BCS bowl this year.

Brad Tolliver 11-05-2012 07:39 PM

Louisville is decent but they have zero business in the top 10.

Mike Emrick 11-05-2012 07:41 PM

I like Teddy Bridgewater but I agree they have no business in Top 10

Colt45Blast 11-05-2012 09:57 PM

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPoll...pollId=3299467

I hope this link works.

LatvianTwist 11-06-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 55554467)

:laugh:

That's hilarious if its accurate.

Colt45Blast 11-10-2012 06:29 PM

There goes Alabama from the #1 spot but could still be in the National Title game later.

Brad Tolliver 11-10-2012 06:33 PM

Syracuse would destroy Georgia and South Carolina.

Mike Emrick 11-10-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad tolliver (Post 55673973)
syracuse would destroy georgia and south carolina.

rofl.

PanthersPens62 11-10-2012 07:08 PM

Yeah, I'm no SEC apologist, but that comment is pretty lulzworthy

Epsilon 11-10-2012 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic, it was more of a diss on Louisville's ranking.