HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Leafs - Avs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279729)

Fearless Leaf* 11-05-2012 07:06 AM

Leafs - Avs

To Avs

- Jake Gardiner
- Joe Colborne
- Clarke MacArthur

To Leafs

- Paul Statsny

Leafs get a solid 2-way C for Kessel and Lupul meanwhile the Avs receive a good offensive supporter for EJ on the back-end along with a potential NHL Center in Colborne and a top 6 tweener.

I think Statsny would be a much better fit for our club with his style of game and play-making ability than Duchene, a high risk offensive C with limited defensive awareness.

Zippy316 11-05-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf (Post 55536423)
To Avs

- Jake Gardiner
- Joe Colborne
- Clarke MacArthur

To Leafs

- Paul Statsny

Leafs get a solid 2-way C for Kessel and Lupul meanwhile the Avs receive a good offensive supporter for EJ on the back-end along with a potential NHL Center in Colborne and a top 6 tweener.

I think Statsny would be a much better fit for our club with his style of game and play-making ability than Duchene, a high risk offensive C with limited defensive awareness.

A lot for the Leafs to give up in terms of roster players. Usually a deal for a player like Statsny includes some sort of roster player but mostly futures. Colborne is redundant when acquiring Statsny, so I guess in that case it's not bad. Depends on how much the Leafs value Gardiner.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-05-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

To Avs

- Jake Gardiner
- Joe Colborne
- Clarke MacArthur

To Leafs

- Paul Statsny

right now gardiner is untouchable for us.

Sterling31 11-05-2012 07:32 AM

Would love Statsny. Nothing against him, But the leafs are better off keeping those 3. Especially Gardiner.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-05-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 (Post 55536619)
Would love Statsny. Nothing against him, But the leafs are better off keeping those 3. Especially Gardiner.

If statsny is the prize mac and colborne can go.

416Leafer 11-05-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 55536657)

Yep. Mac is a borderline top 6 winger. He doesn't have much size and isn't very good defensively. Colborne is going to be 23 this year and still isn't making much noise at the AHL level, so the projections of him in the NHL are continuing to fall. Not to mention he lacks the defensive capabilities to be a solid 3rd line guy.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-05-2012 08:04 AM

Pretty sure the Leafs wouldnt do Gardiner alone for Stasny.

This trade would do wonders for the Leafs center depth, but I think they should say no. Colborne/Mac are almost irrelevant to this trade, Gardiner should be untouchable if Stasny is all thats coming back. (IMO)

TOGuy14 11-05-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

To Avs

- Jake Gardiner
- Joe Colborne
- Clarke MacArthur

To Leafs

- Paul Statsny

And you say you are a Leafs fan?

Only way we move Gardiner in a package to Colorado would be if Duchene is coming back.

Whydidijoin* 11-05-2012 08:41 AM

Hell no from Toronto.

EdwardBlake 11-05-2012 08:55 AM

In a vacuum the trade has fair value on both sides when looking at it only in a dollar and cents view. So good on ya for that OP. But Gardiner leaving would create a hole in the Leafs roster and development that would be hard to fill without another trade so I think it's a no go due to that.

The Podium 11-05-2012 08:55 AM

Stastny isn't the center we need, if anything we should target O'Rielly from Colorado... Think Bergeron, hanzal, etc as the C's we should target to play with Kessel.

internetdotcom 11-05-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 55536657)

If Statsny is the prize, Mac and Colborne get you a dial tone.

Nihiliste 11-05-2012 11:38 AM

Leafs fans rightly value Gardiner highly and I'm not about to argue about whether or not they should prefer Stastny. However while Gardiner is a great player this proposal creates a tough situation for the Avs leaving them with 7 top 9 wingers but only two effective centers. Probably a no for both sides

Manked 11-05-2012 11:43 AM

I don't think the Leafs should do that trade.

Value wise it might be close, but that's a lot of depth to give up.

Vankiller Whale 11-05-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fictionzero (Post 55537369)
In a vacuum the trade has fair value on both sides when looking at it only in a dollar and cents view. So good on ya for that OP. But Gardiner leaving would create a hole in the Leafs roster and development that would be hard to fill without another trade so I think it's a no go due to that.

Huh? The Leafs don't have anything close to a first line C in their system. They have tons of D prospects though, including a recently drafted Morgan Rielly, among a plethora of other good defensemen. The hole left by Gardiner would be virtually non-existant next to the hole filled.

I'd assume Colborne is NHL ready, so couldn't he fill in as a 3C for Colorado(Or simply try out anywhere in the lineup if you're rolling 3 equal lines?)

Of course, there's always a chance you could try getting the untouchable Bozak involved as a replacement, but you might have to add.(Landeskog+, maybe:sarcasm:)

Lonewolfe2015 11-05-2012 11:47 AM

Not a fan of taking on MacArthur regardless, we have 5-6 better options at wing.

Gardiner is good, but I need to see at least one more repeat year before I start to consider him in a trade for Stastny as an Avs fan. I still don't think he'll top out as a top pairing guy, more a #3 at max.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-05-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 55540073)
Huh? The Leafs don't have anything close to a first line C in their system. They have tons of D prospects though, including a recently drafted Morgan Rielly, among a plethora of other good defensemen. The hole left by Gardiner would be virtually non-existant next to the hole filled.

I'd assume Colborne is NHL ready, so couldn't he fill in as a 3C for Colorado(Or simply try out anywhere in the lineup if you're rolling 3 equal lines?)

Of course, there's always a chance you could try getting the untouchable Bozak involved as a replacement, but you might have to add.(Landeskog+, maybe:sarcasm:)

Colborne doesn't have the skillset to be a third line center, hes top six or bust.

I think he'll actually be a late bloomer and round out to be decent center.

Ceremony 11-05-2012 11:53 AM

No thank you.

Vankiller Whale 11-05-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55540191)
Colborne doesn't have the skillset to be a third line center, hes top six or bust.

I think he'll actually be a late bloomer and round out to be decent center.

Yeah, so if the Avs roll three lines, O'Reilly can continue to take the hard mattchups and Colborne get the easier ones. Just spitballing ideas though.

Gigantor The Goalie 11-05-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 55540335)
Yeah, so if the Avs roll three lines, O'Reilly can continue to take the hard mattchups and Colborne get the easier ones. Just spitballing ideas though.

I see what your getting at but as an Avs fan I only want to trade Duchene for someone of equal value or maybe just a little less. These are all decent players we're being offered but I can't see any of them taking us to the next level we need to go to.

Vankiller Whale 11-05-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoytoSakic (Post 55540413)
I see what your getting at but as an Avs fan I only want to trade Duchene for someone of equal value or maybe just a little less. These are all decent players we're being offered but I can't see any of them taking us to the next level we need to go to.

The OP's proposal was for Stastny. And Gardiner would certainly be a good fit for EJ.

thadd 11-05-2012 12:36 PM

Is Gardiner REALLY the only PMD the Leafs have these days? I know he's valuable and saved the Leafs from ending up in last place on many nights last season, but I literally cringe when I see Toornto's depth at center.

It's beyond odd, too. Burke has often put a large emphasis on fundamentals.

Not saying this is the right trade, but 1-2 seasons from now he's overdue to make a trade that'll make the NHL tremble. Goaltending, defence or center. He'll address one of those needs.

I honestly don't get why MacArthur is in 1/3-2/3 of Leafs proposals made my Leafs fans. Leafs fans won't bash the guy, but they'll plop him into any proposal which brings back a player which significantly enhances the team.

Drij 11-05-2012 03:03 PM

avs say no.

birddog* 11-05-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

To Avs

- Jake Gardiner
- Joe Colborne
- Clarke MacArthur

To Leafs

- Paul Statsny

No from the Leafs. PS is not a number one center with size that the Leafs need.

Avs44 11-05-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog (Post 55544195)
No from the Leafs. PS is not a number one center with size that the Leafs need.

If your looking for a #1 C with size then I wish you luck... Only one I can possibly think of being available is Getzlaf, and I think he will re-sign with Anaheim.