HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   News Article: The Rise and Fall of Former Bruins Star Sanderson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279839)

Donnie Shulzhoffer 11-05-2012 02:50 PM

The Rise and Fall of Former Bruins Star Sanderson

Interesting read.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408905

Neely08 11-05-2012 03:28 PM

There's only one Turk.

I agree w/ him somewhat regarding concussions. I disagree w/ him saying that the players are not faster than they were in his era. They are faster, and so is the game.

I take it Eagleson is the lawyer he won't discuss.

whatsbruin 11-05-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer (Post 55543885)

Haven't read it, but his life story is the
Rise, Fall, and rise again of Derek Sanderson.

eightspokedb 11-05-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neely08 (Post 55544711)
There's only one Turk.

I agree w/ him somewhat regarding concussions. I disagree w/ him saying that the players are not faster than they were in his era. They are faster, and so is the game.

Alan Eagleson is still alive. Bob Woolf was his agent and also a lawyer. Maybe him?

Artemis 11-05-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

There's only one Turk.

Eagleson isn't dead, and I don't think he was ever Sanderson's agent. He was Orr's.

As for helmets, they're meant to prevent skull fractures, not concussions.

Neely08 11-05-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 55545225)
Eagleson isn't dead, and I don't think he was ever Sanderson's agent. He was Orr's.

Disappointing.

Quote:

Right. As to what Turk said, or implied, if you're caught w/ your head down at 30mph, your ass is grass. The reason he's talking a/b kids learning to skate w/ their head up is - many of the headshots we see are blindside. Onus is on the player throwing the hit in that instance, no argument. Other times we see D-men moving the puck and turning into the boards, instead of protecting themselves. As well as players moving into areas w/ the puck w/ their head down, where they should EXPECT to be smoked, but still do it.

GordonHowe 11-05-2012 05:07 PM

Thanks for the link.

The excerpt that appeared elsewhere on the board -- about Derek's attempt to come back with the Wings organization under Ted Lindsay's auspice -- was sad & compelling. I had never heard that story.

eightspokedb 11-05-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neely08 (Post 55545943)
disappointing.

qft -

Serge 11-05-2012 05:50 PM

I take it that this narrative will be more sobering than the one he wrote in '72 with Stan Fischler? LOL!
http://www.amazon.com/Ive-Got-Be-Der...e+got+to+be+me

BubbaBoot 11-06-2012 08:30 AM

Picked up the book last week at the Brookline Booksmith (that's a real live book store....remember those?), haven't started it yet.

Bruwinz37 11-06-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 55545225)

While true there have been many advances in helmets that help prevent concussions.....led by Mark Messier's project.

ToddRundgren 11-06-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55560133)
Picked up the book last week at the Brookline Booksmith (that's a real live book store....remember those?), haven't started it yet.

That store is awesome.

BubbaBoot 11-06-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancelotLink (Post 55561709)
That store is awesome.

Yeah it's pretty damn good. The real killer for me is the New England Mobile Book Fair on Needham St in Newton. That joint just sucks the money right out of my pocket. I have to restrain myself from going there whenever I'm in the area.

BMC 11-06-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55560133)

Yeah I remember those. And I miss them a lot. :(

My wallet & credit card not so much :laugh:

bruinsfan1970 11-07-2012 12:47 AM

Very quick read which tells one that it is a good read :)

Ratty 11-07-2012 07:11 AM

Ordered my copy from amazon. Looking forward to the Tales of Derek on my winter vacation.

jrross4 11-07-2012 06:18 PM

got it

Bought the book at a signing in Niagara Falls (Derek's hometown) and my son and I had our photo taken with him and had the book signed to my son. Awesome man. Has lived more than most for sure and suffered as much as well.... read the book within three days, couldn't put it down.... not a tough read for sure, and very moving for me as I grew up in Niagara falls as well.... Kudos Derek!

Fenway 11-07-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

There's only one Turk.

Bob Woolf was the lawyer

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/01/ob...-athletes.html

Quote:

Once, when Derek Sanderson, a notoriously fun-loving Boston Bruin player, took three friends on a first-class jaunt to Hawaii at a cost of $7,000, someone teased Mr. Woolf, saying he thought the agent had Sanderson on an allowance.

"I do," Mr. Woolf replied, "but Derek has an American Express card."

disfigured 11-07-2012 08:51 PM

Anyone know Turk's favorite line about drinking and losing money?

"I invited the world out for a drink,....... and they all showed up".

Classic Turk.

Bruinator 11-07-2012 09:13 PM

At first when I read Collin Farrel might play him in the movie, I was thinking Will Farrel for some reaon. Then I laughed. Then I thought, wait, that would be classic, Will Farrel as the Turk.lol

Artemis 11-07-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinator (Post 55611645)
At first when I read Collin Farrel might play him in the movie, I was thinking Will Farrel for some reaon. Then I laughed. Then I thought, wait, that would be classic, Will Farrel as the Turk.lol

I can't imagine Colin Farrell knows how to skate. Maybe they'll just stick to off-ice stuff.

Neely08 11-07-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 55612587)
I can't imagine Colin Farrell knows how to skate. Maybe they'll just stick to off-ice stuff.

Today they can just CGI their heads onto real men who can actually skate.

BubbaBoot 11-07-2012 10:23 PM

I'd rather see Will Ferrell.....and we know he can skate.

http://www.impawards.com/2007/poster...glory_ver3.jpg

KVS42 11-08-2012 12:06 AM

Life Magazine Photo 1970

I was a regular at Daisy Buchanan's on Newbury St in Boston where many a Big Bad Bruin sucked a few down. Derek became a partner for a time with the owner Buster . My Avatar picture is him mixing me a drink, which appeared as a centerfold in Life Magazine's story about him.
Note the cigarette.

This is a scan so the lettering on the mirror is backwards.

Fenway 11-08-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KVS42 (Post 55614783)
I was a regular at Daisy Buchanan's on Newbury St in Boston where many a Big Bad Bruin sucked a few down. Derek became a partner for a time with the owner Buster . My Avatar picture is him mixing me a drink, which appeared as a centerfold in Life Magazine's story about him.
Note the cigarette.

This is a scan so the lettering on the mirror is backwards.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...22633937_n.jpg