HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I'll never remove my ear guards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279949)

wondeROY 11-05-2012 09:45 PM

I'll never remove my ear guards

I'm now a firm believer that it's a terrible idea to remove ear guards. Last night during a stick n puck, I was near the net about to clear pucks out of the net and some bender wasn't paying attention and blasts a shot and hits me SQUARE in the ear guard. It hit me so hard and square I almost thought someone swung a stick at my head. It hit only the ear guard, nothing else, I have no doubt in my mind if I didn't have it there I would have at least a serious concussion, and most likely a fractured skull.

It rattled my cage and nearly took me down, but totally fine a few moments later, thank goodness for helmets and ear guards. I don't care how un-cool it is or whatever reason people remove them, I'll NEVER remove mine after last night.

Anyone else a firm believer?

Primrose Everdeen 11-05-2012 09:49 PM

Are those the clear plastic inserts on the side, or is there an extra piece of equipment that some people wear (and I don't notice)?

If it's the first one, I've never seen a reason to take them out (though I do play without a cage now).

wondeROY 11-05-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan (Post 55552619)
Are those the clear plastic inserts on the side, or is there an extra piece of equipment that some people wear (and I don't notice)?

If it's the first one, I've never seen a reason to take them out (though I do play without a cage now).

Yea they are the clear pieces built into the helmet, but most of them are easily removable now, and I see a lot of people doing it, including pros.

SaintMorose 11-05-2012 10:00 PM

Safest thing to do would be removing the shooter's arms. I hate people who can't show a little respect at the rink.

AIREAYE 11-05-2012 10:24 PM

Playing any type of minor hockey requires them to be unmodified and left alone. I would think most beer leagues are the same, but I don't imagine a lot of them enforce it. Removing it also voids any warranty.

bigsick 11-05-2012 10:51 PM

i take them out, very uncomfortable for me.

mikitas donut 11-05-2012 11:25 PM

I took mine out for my lockout costume. I'm going to put them back in when I put the cage back on.

wondeROY 11-05-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsick (Post 55554293)
i take them out, very uncomfortable for me.

Weird, I can't even feel mine. What kind of helmet??

tarheelhockey 11-06-2012 01:09 AM

The only time I find them uncomfortable is when I first put my helmet on and they kinda catch my ears.

But seriously, there is absolutely no good reason to take them off. Hockey players have been getting their ears severed for generations (Eddie Shore had one sewn on without anesthesia, and requested a mirror "to make sure it gets done right"!) and it's just pure common sense to have them.

shoeshine boy 11-06-2012 08:33 AM

agreed and I'm sure Scott Stevens feels the same way.
I have a couple of pro stock helmets that have them removed. I wore one of them in a beer league game to see how comfortable the helmet was and was nervous the whole time. I've since bought covers to replace them.
I know a lot of people think that they can hear better without the covers but the 2 best players in the world, Crosby and Malkin keep there covers on so that's good enough for me.

Jarick 11-06-2012 10:17 AM

No reason to remove them for me. Some ear guards are better than others...I have had helmets where they rub against the ears or really mess up your hearing.

jsykes 11-06-2012 10:49 AM

I take mine out. I hate them. I wear a full cage and would never step on the ice without it, but cant stand the feel of the ear pieces. Might as well have a football helmet on for me with them. They rub my ears and are hot.

I certainly see the benefit, but you gotta figure its a dangerous game and things might happen and where do you draw the line.

Do you wear a neck guard too, after all, there is no good reason not to and that could be a life saving piece of equipment rather than just a cut or concussion.

How can you justify ear pieces and no cage? Much more likely to be hit in the face than in the ear.

We all make our choices for various reasons, so no one can/should say "there's no good reason."

Suddenly7 11-06-2012 10:56 AM

I just notice the ear guard on my helmet. lol I usually don't mess with any of my equipment other than my stick.

hyster110 11-06-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 55552517)
I'm now a firm believer that it's a terrible idea to remove ear guards. Last night during a stick n puck, I was near the net about to clear pucks out of the net and some bender wasn't paying attention and blasts a shot and hits me SQUARE in the ear guard. It hit me so hard and square I almost thought someone swung a stick at my head. It hit only the ear guard, nothing else, I have no doubt in my mind if I didn't have it there I would have at least a serious concussion, and most likely a fractured skull.

It rattled my cage and nearly took me down, but totally fine a few moments later, thank goodness for helmets and ear guards. I don't care how un-cool it is or whatever reason people remove them, I'll NEVER remove mine after last night.

Anyone else a firm believer?

this is why i dont dig pucks out of the net

in all seriousness, i take mine out cause they chaffed my ears. its a personal choice and i havent had and adverse effects yet. same reason i dont wear a cage, its uncomfortable and rubs my chin raw.

MattB43 11-06-2012 01:01 PM

Mine whistle when I skate (apparently because I skate so fast? :laugh: ) but I leave them on anyway.

Jumbo* 11-06-2012 02:13 PM

Not sure why you would remove them in the first place...there is a reason why they are there.

noobman 11-06-2012 02:33 PM

I've actually never noticed those until right now. I'll have to double check my helmet to see if I have them or not.

fish7 11-06-2012 05:38 PM

i just bought a new helmet this fall and it is the first one where i could not remove the ear protector and it bothered me the first couple of games and then my line mate took a puck in his ear guard and he suffered a broken ear drum. It would have been much worse without the protectors so my ear protectors do not bother me much now

Beville 11-06-2012 05:52 PM

I've never really felt them or anything... Too much hassle to take them out anyway...

RandV 11-06-2012 06:29 PM

I've personally never noticed them as being a problem. And in my league they will kick you out if you're not wearing them on your helmet, as they're pretty stringent with their insurance policy.

MikeModano9 11-06-2012 09:40 PM

I took mine out for rollerhockey like 5 years ago to let my hair be free. Still have them out.

wondeROY 11-06-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsykes (Post 55561483)
I take mine out. I hate them. I wear a full cage and would never step on the ice without it, but cant stand the feel of the ear pieces. Might as well have a football helmet on for me with them. They rub my ears and are hot.

I certainly see the benefit, but you gotta figure its a dangerous game and things might happen and where do you draw the line.

Do you wear a neck guard too, after all, there is no good reason not to and that could be a life saving piece of equipment rather than just a cut or concussion.

How can you justify ear pieces and no cage? Much more likely to be hit in the face than in the ear.

We all make our choices for various reasons, so no one can/should say "there's no good reason."

HUH? who said I don't wear a cage? I do wear a cage. Not sure where you read that at. You need to get a different helmet, or a bigger one. I can't feel my ear guards at all.

And no i don't wear a neck guard, because clearly the odds of a puck hitting you is far greater then the odds of skates cutting your neck. Sometimes common sense isn't so common I guess.

bigsick 11-06-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 55555215)
Weird, I can't even feel mine. What kind of helmet??

S19, but i have some flow. Took em out of my old bauer 5000 as well.

ReverendAlBundy 11-06-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 55584185)
HUH? who said I don't wear a cage? I do wear a cage. Not sure where you read that at. You need to get a different helmet, or a bigger one. I can't feel my ear guards at all.

And no i don't wear a neck guard, because clearly the odds of a puck hitting you is far greater then the odds of skates cutting your neck. Sometimes common sense isn't so common I guess.

I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck. Maybe it's not as much 'common sense' as you seem to think it is.

If you're playing right, you shouldnt ever have to worry about getting hit in the ear with a puck, since you should always be facing the play anyway. There's a reason the only NHLers that wear them are mega star players that are more than likely paid extra by their respective sponsor to do so.

nullterm 11-06-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy (Post 55584703)
I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck. Maybe it's not as much 'common sense' as you seem to think it is.

If you're playing right, you shouldnt ever have to worry about getting hit in the ear with a puck, since you should always be facing the play anyway. There's a reason the only NHLers that wear them are mega star players that are more than likely paid extra by their respective sponsor to do so.

Scott Stevens taking a Kubina slapshot to the ear...

Hendricks took a wayward OV shot...
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nhl/matt-hendricks-split-ear/