HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2013-2014 roster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280013)

petrocelli 11-06-2012 12:52 AM

2013-2014 roster

If this season is a wash out, what do you see next year's lineup looking like. I was just curious as to what rookies make the lineup. Nelson?? Nino?? Strome?? A. Lee?? ..... Take your best stab at it.....

okposobeastmode 11-06-2012 01:24 AM

Only one player is for sure... Rick DiPietro

StrongIslanders90 11-06-2012 01:27 AM

it all depends on the seasons and development o each player but if I had to guess I would say that Nino will be the most likley to e on the team next year.

He already has a NHL year under his belt and is regaining his offensive game playing ith skilled fowards and top 6 min.

I would only want him up if hes playing on the second or first line.
Then I would say Strome.

Moulson-Tavares-Nino

Bailey/Martin- Strome- Grabner/Okposo

Bailey/Martin-Neilsen-Grabner/Okposo

Thats the top 6 imo assuming Boyes,Boulton, and reasoner are not here and we dont make any trades or signings which is unlikley. We probablly bring in the usual Bottom six grinding vet guys to replace the guys above.

On defense, Donovan would be the front runner imo.
de Hann is not making the jump untill he fully recovers and can play a full pro season.
Reinhart could be the front runner depending on his development and season this year.I thnk we could have a real gem in the big Griff so I dont really want to rush him unless he is absolutley ready

Mr Wentworth 11-06-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 (Post 55557763)
it all depends on the seasons and development o each player but if I had to guess I would say that Nino will be the most likley to e on the team next year.

He already has a NHL year under his belt and is regaining his offensive game playing ith skilled fowards and top 6 min.

I would only want him up if hes playing on the second or first line.
Then I would say Strome.

Moulson-Tavares-Nino

Bailey/Martin- Strome- Grabner/Okposo

Bailey/Martin-Neilsen-Grabner/Okposo

Thats the top 6 imo assuming Boyes,Boulton, and reasoner are not here and we dont make any trades or signings which is unlikley. We probablly bring in the usual Bottom six grinding vet guys to replace the guys above.

On defense, Donovan would be the front runner imo.
de Hann is not making the jump untill he fully recovers and can play a full pro season.
Reinhart could be the front runner depending on his development and season this year.I thnk we could have a real gem in the big Griff so I dont really want to rush him unless he is absolutley ready

Could be Kabanov.

kasper11 11-06-2012 08:22 AM

There is no way to tell...without knowing what the CBA will look like, we don't know how much money the Islanders will be forced/able to spend.

It is very possible that something is changed about the way bonuses are counted, forcing the Isles to spend more. It is also possible that the Isles become eligible for revenue sharing but a minimum payroll is put in place.

Based only on the players currently on the roster, I think...

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Nino
Martin-Strome-Grabner
Ullstrom-Cizikas-????

The defense will be a mess without Streit and Vis, but...

Hamonic-MacDonald
Donavan-De Haan
Carkner-Ness

Again, no way do I see the team starting 3 rookies.

In goal: Poulin and Nillson (I would expect a vet to be brought in)

SLAPSHOT723 11-06-2012 08:25 AM

I would assume Strome is going to be on the roster. The wings are going to be interesting. Not sure what to think about Kabanov. I saw him play one game in Bridgeport and he wasn't impressive, then he got hurt. Maybe another year would be okay. Visnovsky will be gone for nothing. Not sure if Streit will re-sign either.

Moulson-Tavares-Niederreiter
Bailey-Strome-Okposo
Ullstrom-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-XXX

MacDonald-Hamonic
XXX-XXX
XXX-Carkner

Poulin
DiPietro/Nilsson

The defense is going to be a mess.

EDIT: If we get MacKinnon, he should make the team.
EDIT again: I forgot about Bailey.

blinkman360 11-06-2012 09:17 AM

Moulson - Tavares - Nino
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - UFA

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Reinhart
Donovan - Carkner

Nilsson/Poulin
UFA

Call it a hunch, but I only see Reinhart spending this season in Juniors. I think the Isles would like for him to get some time in the AHL, but since that won't be possible I think he will have a very real opportunity at making this team. I expect one of deHaan(if he's ready by then) or Donovan to get one spot, and the other will probably be between guys like Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan and Pelech. The big, defensive prospects.

It's possible now that the arena situation has been taken care of, Wang/Snow will be able to land a big UFA for the defense, but if not I fully expect a couple of top-prospects to be on the opening night roster next season.

Hopefully we get some NHL this season though, which should answer some of these questions.

Giuseppe Franco 11-06-2012 11:06 AM

I would hope we try to add at least one major piece via trade or free agency. With a move to Brooklyn looming and a presumably more friendly CBA, there are no more excuses to not spend.

PWJunior 11-06-2012 11:30 AM

If I had to venture to guess how things will play out in 2013-2014, this is how I see things...

Moulson-JT-XXX
Bailey-Strome-Okposo
Grabner-Neilsen-Nino
Martin-Cizikas-XXX

Streit-XXX
AMac-Hamonic
XXX-Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin

I think Streit isn't going anywhere and he'll be re-signed to something in the 3-year range. After everything he's been through on LI, you have to think that he wants to play at least one season in Barclay's.

Strome has always been the heir to the #2C throne and all indications up until now make it very likely that will happen. Nino looks to be back on track, but I don't think they'll give him that 1st line opportunity unless he really takes off and is looking dominant by the end of this season in Bridgeport. Slotting him at that 3rd line spot with Frans and Grabs would be very good for him IMO.

The thing that the forward group needs is a true and legit #1 RW. Obvious first choice is Perry and then Iginla as they are UFA's. Doubtful we even have a chance at either, but either player could seriously transform the entire top-6.

The big question is still the defense. With Visnovsky unlikely to return, we still have a major need for at least one top-4 guy, I think 2. Now one spot could be filled by one of the kids with Donovan, CDH, and possibly Reinhart (he's a wild card for sure) - I see them filling the 3rd pairing with Carkner. I'd rather not 'rush' Reinhart unless there is little doubt he's ready, but it's all on him.

Adding Edler (pipe dream, I know) would be HUGE. I can't see Vancouver letting him go, but you never know. If the Isles were to land a prime RW in FA, it would make the sell to someone like Edler a lot more enticing.

I have a feeling Nabokov will re-sign about the same contract to play one more year. Poulin looks to be higher on the depth chart than Nilsson (what is the deal with him not playing anyway?). This is assuming the Ricky saga finally comes to an end.

luki here 11-06-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 55560031)
There is no way to tell...without knowing what the CBA will look like, we don't know how much money the Islanders will be forced/able to spend.

It is very possible that something is changed about the way bonuses are counted, forcing the Isles to spend more. It is also possible that the Isles become eligible for revenue sharing but a minimum payroll is put in place.

Based only on the players currently on the roster, I think...

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Nino
Martin-Strome-Grabner
Ullstrom-Cizikas-????

The defense will be a mess without Streit and Vis, but...

Hamonic-MacDonald
Donavan-De Haan
Carkner-Ness

Again, no way do I see the team starting 3 rookies.

In goal: Poulin and Nillson (I would expect a vet to be brought in)

not so sure ness ever gets to be a nhl'er at all. De Haan wont be starting either after his newest injury.

I think it would be great for the kids to have a contending year in Bridgeport. Let Kabby, Nino, Nelson, Reinhart and Strome all spend a winning year together in the ahl then send them up in 2014-15 (perhaps joined by Petrov?)

Send ullstrom, cizikas and Poulin (assuming he doesnt play as bad thorughout the season as he did last game) up to Long island and resign streit for two more years if possible.

seafoam 11-06-2012 12:29 PM

I can see Grabner being moved for a defenseman. He does not have the physicality to be successful in a bottom six role nor does he have a complete enough offensive game to play in a top six role. Factor in the development of fowards like Ullstrom, Joensuu, Nelson, Nino, and even Persson and I think Grabs is the odd man out.

Hopefully some team will be willing to gamble on him, his 34 goal season and his speed should be fairly attractive.

I'd be ecstatic if we could get Hjalmarsson with a package around Grabs but I may be wishfully thinking way too much.

Islander102 11-06-2012 12:38 PM

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Strome - Niederreiter
Grabner - Nielsen - Ullstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Halmo/UFA

MacDonald - Hamonic
Donovan - UFA/Streit
Carkner - Reinhart/Pedan/UFA

Nabokov or other UFA
Nilsson
Poulin

Islander102 11-06-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafoam (Post 55565077)
I can see Grabner being moved for a defenseman. He does not have the physicality to be successful in a bottom six role nor does he have a complete enough offensive game to play in a top six role. Factor in the development of fowards like Ullstrom, Joensuu, Nelson, Nino, and even Persson and I think Grabs is the odd man out.

Hopefully some team will be willing to gamble on him, his 34 goal season and his speed should be fairly attractive.

I'd be ecstatic if we could get Hjalmarsson with a package around Grabs but I may be wishfully thinking way too much.

Give Grabner a second season to follow up one of the best Islander rookie seasons in 20 years before trying to center a package around him for a #3 defensman.

Chapin Landvogt 11-06-2012 01:27 PM

This season hasn't started yet and your ALREADY wondering about next year's starting line-up???:D

I think no less than Cizikas, Ullstrom and Strome will be on the 2013-14 roster.

I would have written de Haan's name in there too, but we first have to see what becomes of him whatsoever.

I don't know WHAT THE HECK is going on with Nilsson, because I expected him to have a MONSTER 12-13 year in the AHL. Very, very disappointing that he's missing so much time and that the organization has been so hush-hush about it.

startainfection 11-06-2012 01:44 PM

this season b port wins the calder cup and the deal in brooklyn gets people to sign with the isles

Moulson - Tavares - Perry
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Ullstrom - Cizikas - Grabner
Martin - Konopka - Nystrom

Macdonald - Hamonic
Streit - Scuderi
Donovan - Carkner

IslesRock4 11-06-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startainfection (Post 55567257)
this season b port wins the calder cup and the deal in brooklyn gets people to sign with the isles

Moulson - Tavares - Perry
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Ullstrom - Cizikas - Grabner
Martin - Konopka - Nystrom

Macdonald - Hamonic
Streit - Scuderi
Donovan - Carkner

Baha, no chance in hell Perry signs here and where is Strome? Why would Snow bring Konopka back after not wanting to re-sign him a year ago?

seafoam 11-06-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 55569721)
Baha, no chance in hell Perry signs here and where is Strome? Why would Snow bring Konopka back after not wanting to re-sign him a year ago?

Perry would be the perfect winger for JT, but I agree he would never sign long term here.

seafoam 11-06-2012 04:00 PM

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-Nino
Bailey-Frans-Kabanov
Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-?
Donovan-Carkner

Poulin
?

Man...the indefinite loss of de Haan really leaves a hole in this defense. Also Donovan's defensive play is not a sure bet at all.

petrocelli 11-06-2012 06:06 PM

Some interesting posts and equally interesting omissions......

First off, I am surprised I didn't see Anders Lee's name mentioned even once, and even more surprised Brock Nelson wasn't mentioned either. I think Anders Lee may be just as close to being ready as any of our prospects, including Nino and Strome. Lee was drafted in his overage year, then had an additional year of seasoning in the USHL before joining Notre Dame for what is now his third season. Along with all that experience, he has a physical build these other kids could only dream of. I'm not saying he definitely is ready, but the guy is bigger than Matt Martin, the same age as Tavares (which is two years older than Nino), and has been one of the best players in college hockey going on three seasons now, so I'm just surprised nobody is even mentioning him as a dark horse.

Again, we all scream for a big skilled top 6 forward to potentially play with Tavares... well..... how about we take a look at one of our very own prospects who is knocking on the door..... Brock Nelson. One year younger than Anders Lee, great size, hands and overall game. He's growing into his body, and with a good year at Bridgeport, along with a good camp next year, I would at least put this guy in the conversation!

One line that I kept seeing repeated that really intrigues me is:
Bailey- Strome- Okposo.

I think we really want to surround Strome with a couple of our 'young vets' that could be entering their primes, to put Strome in a position to succeed. The creativity of Strome and Bailey working together, along with the jam and grit of Okposo sounds like a potentially really good second line. I am still a huge Bailey supporter. The way he ended last season gave me much hope for him moving forward.

It really is nice to see Nino get off to such a good start this year at Bridgeport. I hope he plays the full season in Bridgeport regardless if the lockout ends. If he earns a spot next season, that would be great. But a step backwards this year to regroup and mature in the Bridge is just what the doctor ordered after last season's epic fail on management's behalf.

Defense......... yeah, we have the obvious choices and transactions such as Hamonic and McDonald in the top 4/5. Re-sign Streit to a few more seasons if he's willing to accept a fair price (fair being slightly overpaid). Matt Carkner is our enforcer and jam on the blueline. But where is the surprise move?? No, I'm not talking about De Haan or Donovan... I was thinking more like, could Pedan or Mayfield have a huge camp and force their way onto the roster? In what would be a less surprising move simply because the Isles think all of their 1st round picks should be handed a roster spot sooner rather then later, doess Griffin Reinhart make the team?? Do we finally land a big time FA blueliner??

With all that to consider,

Here's my stab at next year's roster:

2013/2014 New York Islanders

Moulson- Tavares- Nelson or Lee
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Lee or Nino -Nielsen - Grabner
Ullstrom- Cizikas - M. Martin
Joensuu - Sundstrom - Kabanov
Halmo - Persson

SO I see Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner and Matt Martin as our veterans that will return and play a significant role. After their limited opportunities last season with the big club, I see Cizikas and Ullstrom grabbing spots in the bottom 6 to start this season or next. Then I see 2 spots available on our top-3 lines. I see these spots going to either Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, or Nino Niederreiter, with the odd man out starting the season in Bridgeport and possibly being one of our first few injury call-ups. Jesse Joensuu also has an outside chance, but if he doesn't make the big club out of camp, he'll probably return to Europe. Sundstrom, Persson and Kabanov may need a little more seasoning. But yes, don't be surprised to see Anders Lee or Brock Nelson, or both, make the team and play on our top 3 lines. Nelson has the hands and overall game to play alongside Tavares one day. Overall, I like the added combination of size/offensive ability. No more getting pushed around and plenty of talent to score goals.

Defense

Streit Hamonic
MacDonald Mayfield or Reinhart
Carkner Donovan
Wishart ** De Haan
Pedan Kichton

I think Streit has to be resigned to have a veteran presence, along with his offensive ability in our top pairing. Hamonic, Macdonald and Carkner are 3 other veterans that should be locked in to play regularly. It seemed like one of our two best Bridgeport D prospects (Donovan or De Haan) were set to battle for one spot this season. I'll list Donovan with that spot for next season by default, due to De Haan's injury. That leaves one open spot in the top 6. Since I'm not going the free agent route in my predictions (it's too hard to do), I'll say either Mayfield or Reinhart will win that spot and play on the second pairing with Macdonald. Reinhart seems like the obvious choice being he was a top 5 overall pick, but in watching Mayfield finished the second half of his freshman season for Denver, along with his play at rookie camp, things seem to be coming together for Mayfield. Either way, I look forward to seeing BOTH of them in the lineup in a few seasons (along with a bunch of our other blueline prospects that are a few years away). Wishart provides veteran presence at Bridgeport and if he's still around next year, could be one of the first injury call-ups. I see both Kichton and Pedan playing for Bridgeport next season (I believe Pedan will be eligible??), and are potential call-ups in case injury's thin-out the blue line. But in a perfect world, both of these guys would play a full season at Bridgeport in 2013-2014. Pedan, Kichton, Pelech, Pokka and probably even Mayfield and Reinhart are at least 1 1/2 to 2+ seasons away. Overall, the size and skill being added to the blueline for 2013-2014 and beyond is very impressive. Mayfield, Reinhart and Pedan all have a shot next year. More likely is 1 of the 3 making the club next year and the others not far behind. Matt Carkner adds much needed toughness. De Haan and Donovan both have potential to be solid all around D-men.

So 2013-2014 looks very promising, beyond that, the sky is the limit!!!! :))

PWJunior 11-06-2012 06:39 PM

Petro, you hanging out with Mitch or something? :sarcasm:

I think Nelson could surprise, but another year in the AHL might be the best course of action for him. He needs more time to fill out and get acclimated to the pro game. I can see him being the man at the Bridge next year and I think that would be awesome for him in preparation for the bigs.

I'm not convinced Lee will even sign with the Isles at this point. If he does, he's going to need time to even get introduced to the pro game. I can't see giving him a shot at an NHL job so soon. If he tears it up at the Bridge next year, then decisions will need to be made for 2014-2015.

In terms of our defense corps, I thought CDH and Donovan are the only ones to be considered for a job next year. It's too bad about CDH's shoulder injury, he was looking really good and the Tigers have not been the same without him. Mayfield and Pedan are still projects. Pedan will be at the Bridge next year and could be there for a couple of seasons before he'll be ready to be called up, but I think he tops out as a 3rd pairing guy if he does make it. I'm excited about Mayfield, he was so impressive at the Prospects Camp. He might return to Denver next year and he'll need time in the AHL to get used to the pro game, but I have high hopes for him. I think both Mayfield and Pedan are 2-3 years away.

Reinhart is the big question. If he has a solid season and looks ready, he might get a shot. As we've learned from Bailey and Nino, caution may be required and I don't think it would be a bad thing to return him to Junior next year too. The Isles have traditionally been patient with their defense prospects. I'd rather see Reinhart legitimately fight for an NHL job starting in 2014-2015.

startainfection 11-06-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 55569721)

this isn't going to be the same wang of the last 4 or 5 years its going to be the wang that owned the isles when he first bought the team, strome is playing his rookie season in the ahl and as for konopka i just couldn't think of a player that fans would like to be brought back as much that isn't ridiculous to expect

i seriously do think the isles will sign a few top free agents in the next 2 off seasons

StrongIslanders90 11-06-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 55559169)
Could be Kabanov.

could be, but I think the wrist injury puts hm back another year

A Pointed Stick 11-06-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startainfection (Post 55580923)
i seriously do think the isles will sign a few top free agents in the next 2 off seasons

The arena alone doesn't guarantee anything. San Jose went from their start in a decrepit place worse than the NVMC to the arena in San Jose and though they made bank with a state of the art facility and lots of rich Silicon Valley fans but built a horrid piece of garbage for a team in the 90s. They struggled mightily to get even mediocre UFAs. It took key trade acquisitions, a non-circus like atmosphere, and better drafting post 90's to become a UFA preferred destination.

We only meet one of those criteria at the moment. IMO, the Isles will need to show more talent than Tavares from the development pipeline, and better UFA grabs than Vis and Streit to attract good UFAs.

OrangeZebra 11-07-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okposobeastmode (Post 55557737)
Only one player is for sure... Rick DiPietro

You mean D-3P0?

OrangeZebra 11-07-2012 12:20 AM

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Nino - Strome - Grabner
Bailey/Kabanov - Nielsen - Nelson
Martin - Cizikas/Ullstrom - Joensuu

Hamonic - Streit
MacDonald - Reinhart
Carkner - Donovan
Kichton/Pedan

Poulin