HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Top 20 All-Time Flames Players (#13) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280163)

Rolen 11-06-2012 02:24 PM

Top 20 All-Time Flames Players (#13)
 
The rankings should be based on what the player accomplished in Calgary and not overall in his career.

Ranks

1. Jarome Iginla- 69%
2. Al MacInnis- 61%
3. Theoren Fleury- 66%
4. Lanny McDonald- 53%
5. Miikka Kiprusoff- 63%
6. Joe Nieuwendyk- 48%
7. Mike Vernon- 38%
8. Kent Nilsson- 33%
9. Haken Loob- 47%
10. Gary Roberts- 40%
11. Gary Suter- 26%
12. Doug Gilmour- 20%

TheHudlinator 11-06-2012 02:37 PM

This has to be Guy Chouinard he played all but one of his seasons with the Flames and is in the top 10 for goals, assists, and points he was the first Flame to get 50 goals in a season no one else comes close on the list to what he accomplished as a Flame. He is easily the most underrated Flame on this list.

Stewie Griffin 11-06-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 55568891)
This has to be Guy Chouinard he played all but one of his seasons with the Flames and is in the top 10 for goals, assists, and points he was the first Flame to get 50 goals in a season no one else comes close on the list to what he accomplished as a Flame. He is easily the most underrated Flame on this list.

Quote:

The rankings should be based on what the player accomplished in Calgary
Three seasons in Calgary. No SCF appearances. No Cup. Lots of other guys on that list belong ahead of him.

TheHudlinator 11-06-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55569957)
Three seasons in Calgary. No SCF appearances. No Cup. Lots of other guys on that list belong ahead of him.

I thought it was with the Flames in general I guess I misread. I think it should be with the organization as the Atlanta Flames are part of our past.

PierreMcGuire* 11-06-2012 03:47 PM

Reinhart.

Skobel24 11-06-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 55570009)
I think it should be with the organization as the Atlanta Flames are part of our past.

I disagree. Phoenix really hasn't honored any of the Jets. Carolina hasn't done so with the Whalers. Colorado hasn't with the Nords. The new Jets aren't really keeping the Thrashers history. I doubt many of us care about the Atlanta days. When I think of the Flames, I think of CALGARY.

I Hate Chris Butler 11-06-2012 04:47 PM

Gilmour is a bit high, isn't he? 3.5 seasons in Calgary, and he's good for 12th all time.

Janko Unchained 11-07-2012 12:25 AM

Mullen, then Reinhart

InfinityIggy 11-07-2012 09:58 AM

Forwards have been way over favored thus far.

Janks 11-07-2012 11:12 AM

Housley. Hands down.

FLAMESFAN 11-07-2012 12:49 PM

I'm going with Reinhart. Regher should start to get some consideration soon too.

FLAMESFAN 11-07-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster (Post 55573011)
Gilmour is a bit high, isn't he? 3.5 seasons in Calgary, and he's good for 12th all time.

Personally I had/have Reinhart, Conroy, Regher, then Gilmour & Mullen. So I agree with you a bit.

Stewie Griffin 11-07-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janks (Post 55596651)
Housley. Hands down.

Definitely ahead of any other defenseman on this list.

Skobel24 11-07-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janks (Post 55596651)
Housley. Hands down.

I honestly missed his name completely.

pdd 11-07-2012 02:05 PM

I am amused by all the Housley support after how much flak I took for basically demanding his presence earlier in the process...

Stewie Griffin 11-07-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 55600789)
I am amused by all the Housley support after how much flak I took for basically demanding his presence earlier in the process...

Thanks for taking one for the team?

InfinityIggy 11-07-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55599309)
Definitely ahead of any other defenseman on this list.

In terms of career? Sure, he wasn't that significant in his years in Calgary though, great player no doubt. I would say Reinhart, even Ramage had a bigger team impact though.

Money Baer 11-07-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55599309)
Definitely ahead of any other defenseman on this list.

Definitely not.

Compare what Reinhart did in Calgary, then compare that to what Housley did in Calgary.

Housley might have had the better career, but Reinhart did more/played more for the flames.

FLAMESFAN 11-07-2012 04:29 PM

I'm not sure if the Housley support is sarcastic or not, but it should be. I don't have him in the top 20, and I find it hard to see how someone can argue he is.

Stewie Griffin 11-07-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wally31 (Post 55604371)
Definitely not.

Compare what Reinhart did in Calgary, then compare that to what Housley did in Calgary.

Housley might have had the better career, but Reinhart did more/played more for the flames.

Paul Reinhart was a decent PMD on a good team scoring a lot of points during a high scoring era. Unfortunately he was made of glass, and he played like it - a lot. If he was able to stay healthy, we might be having a different discussion, and he wouldn't have been given away for nothing near the end of his short career. Sure, he did play more for the Flames, and scored more points, but I don't think that's the whole criteria for this scenario. Once Suter & Macinnis established themselves, he was quickly relegated to a supporting role.

Phil Housely helped keep the Flames from being a complete laughing stock during the dead puck era. However, one could argue that a few first overall picks during the Young Guns period would have benefited the team in the long run. Assuming, of course, the right player(s) would have been drafted...

FLAMES666 11-07-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 55595043)
Forwards have been way over favored thus far.

Tough to say, Calgary had a lot of good forwards and its hard to rate a defenseman from the 80's and early 90's since their was so much scoring.

InfinityIggy 11-08-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 55605909)
Paul Reinhart was a decent PMD on a good team scoring a lot of points during a high scoring era. Unfortunately he was made of glass, and he played like it - a lot. If he was able to stay healthy, we might be having a different discussion, and he wouldn't have been given away for nothing near the end of his short career. Sure, he did play more for the Flames, and scored more points, but I don't think that's the whole criteria for this scenario. Once Suter & Macinnis established themselves, he was quickly relegated to a supporting role.

Phil Housely helped keep the Flames from being a complete laughing stock during the dead puck era. However, one could argue that a few first overall picks during the Young Guns period would have benefited the team in the long run. Assuming, of course, the right player(s) would have been drafted...

Uh pretty sure you did not watch him play much from this assessment. Most of his injury issues were during the tail end of his career when his back gave out. He was normally a healthy player for most of his career. Also how does McInnis and Suter being better make Reinhart worse? That's such a flawed argument. Calling him a decent PMD is also completely inaccurate. He was regularly above the 50 point mark as a defender, something only a handful of defenders did each year even in that era while playing twice the defensive game Housley did. Your argument as to why that makes Housley better is non existent. Housley had literally no defensive game. Purely a point getter much like Wideman, and in his time in Calgary his averages were worse than Reinhart. The fact anyone can have Housley over Reinhart is just hard to fathom.

FLAMESFAN 11-08-2012 09:11 AM

Not only should Reinhart be ahead of Housley, Regher should too.

Stewie Griffin 11-08-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 55615311)
Uh pretty sure you did not watch him play much from this assessment. Most of his injury issues were during the tail end of his career when his back gave out. He was normally a healthy player for most of his career.

Uh, you sure you did? His back injuries plagued him for most of his career - the pain just became unbearable near the end, forcing his retirement. The pain that he was in was quite obvious in some games - for someone who implies to have watched him play you seem to conveniently ignore the fact that he completely shied away from the physical aspect of the game as a result of these injury problems.

Quote:

Also how does McInnis and Suter being better make Reinhart worse? That's such a flawed argument.
I didn't say that they made him worse, please don't put words into my mouth. I said the emergence of Suter & MacInnis relegated Reinhart to a secondary role with the team - because they were better.

Quote:

Calling him a decent PMD is also completely inaccurate. He was regularly above the 50 point mark as a defender, something only a handful of defenders did each year even in that era while playing twice the defensive game Housley did. Your argument as to why that makes Housley better is non existent. Housley had literally no defensive game. Purely a point getter much like Wideman, and in his time in Calgary his averages were worse than Reinhart. The fact anyone can have Housley over Reinhart is just hard to fathom.
Funny how you bring up points not being an issue, right after you use that as your claim that Reinhart was so much better than... anyone. If you thought by bringing in Housely the Flames were getting a Norris defenseman, that's on you. However, his offensive vision & hockey IQ was unmatched - possibly by any defenseman to ever play in Calgary, and yeah he was a sieve defensively but IMO he made up for it by his offensive contributions.

Look, I'm not saying Reinhart was a terrible player - and if that was the impression you get, that's not my intent. What I'm saying is that Reinhart could have been quite good had he not had injury troubles. That's kept him at "decent" in my mind. If he didn't have those problems, he most likely would have been a perennial all-star, but he did. Maybe it's my disappointment that he didn't evolve into that player which has tainted my view of him, I'll admit that. As a result of what he didn't contribute (just as much as what he did) I measure his impact to the team as less than Housley's impact.

FLAMESFAN 11-08-2012 10:32 AM

Macinnis & Suter would have made almost any Dman 3rd. It's not like Housley was a physical Dman either. This is more than just how many points someone put up, were they a leader on the team and did they do alot in the community? When I think of Housley (and I don't that often), he just doesn't stand out in my memory as a Flame.
Looking back at the Dmen we had in Housley's second stint with us how did we not make the playoffs? Housley/Morris/Gauthier/Lydman/Regher/Albelin/Smith/Hulse/Simpson


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.