HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XX-Time for Rebuilding (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280395)

bruinsfan1970 11-07-2012 12:55 AM

Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XX-Time for Rebuilding
 
Have at it......

bruinsfan1970 11-07-2012 12:57 AM

Sometimes a rebuild can be fun especially when the waiting turns into a positive.Go Sox in 2013.

Guiledoom 11-07-2012 08:39 AM

Sox definitely have a lot of interesting prospects. This team will be competitive next year, while waiting for the kids to develop further.

Biggest key is to not get locked into any stupid contracts.

kman22 11-07-2012 09:33 AM

Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Red Sox are disinclined to trade Ellsbury. Hopefully he is misinformed.

kman22 11-07-2012 09:35 AM

Also, for those interested in Ike Davis, he seems less likely to be moved with Lucas Duda, his replacement, breaking his wrist.

LSCII 11-07-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman22 (Post 55594553)
Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Red Sox are disinclined to trade Ellsbury. Hopefully he is misinformed.

Why? It's not like they'd get anything of any value for him at this point. The guy has missed the majority of playing time 2 out of his last 3 seasons. The best case scenario is that they hang onto him, hope he stays healthy, and reverts back to his MVP caliber form from 2 years ago so they can maximize his value at the deadline.

Dojji* 11-07-2012 09:47 AM

Agreed. Ellsbury is talented, but with his injury history he is not prime real estate. It's not like there's a shortage of speed guys on the market right now, and he hasn't established himself as a consistent power threat by any means.

CDJ* 11-07-2012 09:58 AM

Yeah, it is definitely the best move to keep him at this point as opposed to selling low.

We should not spend a dime on first base and just platoon Sands and pick up somebody like Moreland from Texas on the cheap. Sands vs lefties, Moreland vs righties.

Probably would get above average production for a fraction of the cost.


EDIT: Even though I just said I wouldn't trade Ellsbury, I wonder if we could do something like Ellsbury + Aceves for Andrus + Moreland

UNB Bruins Fan 11-07-2012 11:00 AM

While I agree they should keep Ellsbury, it is worth noting that if they trade him now the acquiring team would be eligible for draft pick compensation. If they deal him at the deadline they wouldn't be....so that is something to take into consideration when thinking about possible returns.

robert terwilliger 11-07-2012 11:04 AM

i think they're stuck with ellsbury through 2013 where they give him a qualifying offer and let him walk to take the pick.

i don't know why texas would do an ellsbury/aceves for andrus/moreland. moreland is blocking olt right now but they're in the driver's seat with andrus. he's under contract and they shouldn't be in any hurry to rush profar. plus they could play borbon/martin in center and not lose much w/r/t war keeping in mind that murphy would probably play everyday in left and cruz stays in right. you'd have to offer them a reason to move andrus and i don't think aceves is it.

although my favorite thing from mlb network last night was bill ripken saying that texas should trade profar and keep andrus, because andrus is better.

kman22 11-07-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSCII (Post 55594651)
Why? It's not like they'd get anything of any value for him at this point. The guy has missed the majority of playing time 2 out of his last 3 seasons. The best case scenario is that they hang onto him, hope he stays healthy, and reverts back to his MVP caliber form from 2 years ago so they can maximize his value at the deadline.

With the new free agency rules, I think his value will be better this winter than it will at the trade deadline, regardless of how he produces this year.

Look at the midseason trades in 2012. Pence, Victorino, Ramirez, and Dempster. There wasn't much in terms of prospects going back to the teams trading away the higher profile players. Pence in particular was a good comparison, as he is the same age as Ellsbury, a two-time all-star, but he also had arbitration eligibility left, which makes up for any production difference should Ellsbury have another MVP season.

Donnie Shulzhoffer 11-07-2012 11:16 AM

Trade Ellsbury. He is a Boris guy and regardless of the past couple of years and injuries he will be asking for the moon.

Shaun 11-07-2012 11:20 AM

Agree. Might as well get something while you can.

VeddarRants 11-07-2012 11:23 AM

I'm more concerned about the pitching than the hitting of fielding. The starting and relief rosters need to be revamped because they are an absolute mess. The offense can hold it's own with the guys we have... it's the pitching that needs to be the number 1 priority this offseason IMO.

kman22 11-07-2012 11:44 AM

In terms of pitching, I guess the Cubs are looking into Brandon McCarthy and Shaun Marcum. Marcum is a guy I'm really hoping the Red Sox target. There's plenty of SP's worth a look, but Marcum is definitely near the top of the list for me.

bruinsfan1970 11-07-2012 12:00 PM

Ellsbury reminds me of Freddy Lynn,Lynn didn't have the speed on the base paths but he could roam centerfield like no one else in his day.When Lynn got traded to the Angels his career took a spiral downward because Lynn used the green monster to keep his average up.But the opposite may happen if the Sox trade Ellsbury he may be better with another team and put up MVP numbers.It's a gamble.

CDJ* 11-07-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert terwilliger (Post 55596485)
i think they're stuck with ellsbury through 2013 where they give him a qualifying offer and let him walk to take the pick.

i don't know why texas would do an ellsbury/aceves for andrus/moreland. moreland is blocking olt right now but they're in the driver's seat with andrus. he's under contract and they shouldn't be in any hurry to rush profar. plus they could play borbon/martin in center and not lose much w/r/t war keeping in mind that murphy would probably play everyday in left and cruz stays in right. you'd have to offer them a reason to move andrus and i don't think aceves is it.

although my favorite thing from mlb network last night was bill ripken saying that texas should trade profar and keep andrus, because andrus is better.

That's cute. Profar is going to be scary. He will be discussed along with Trout and Harper for the next two decades or so.

Andrus is great and all, but he is what he is- a guy who will hit .285 with some gap power and speed with solid defense. Profar could be a 20-100 .300 guy with the same defense.

robert terwilliger 11-07-2012 12:16 PM

i think reynolds outdid him with "the red sox should trade for tulowitzki!" to which they just aired tulowitzki homers for a minute and reynolds saying "that would be a homer in fenway!"

i don't know why i watch that channel sometimes.

Shaun 11-07-2012 12:38 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#redsox expected to name Juan Nieves their new pitching coach. story up soon on http://cbssports.com

robert terwilliger 11-07-2012 12:40 PM

he's been the white sox bullpen coach since 2007 and been in their system since 1998.

CDJ* 11-07-2012 12:43 PM

Good pick. He was a solid pitcher in the bigs until he blew his arm out. He knows what he is doing, unlike that ******* McClure

robert terwilliger 11-07-2012 12:46 PM

mets and jason bay parted ways amicably.

CDJ* 11-07-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert terwilliger (Post 55598111)
i think reynolds outdid him with "the red sox should trade for tulowitzki!" to which they just aired tulowitzki homers for a minute and reynolds saying "that would be a homer in fenway!"

i don't know why i watch that channel sometimes.

I could see Tulo being shopped. Injury prone, and they have Josh Rutledge who ain't too bad as well as Trevor Story in the minors. Story is another guy who will be a great SS in this league. The dude strokes the ball.

However, that seems to be typical Harold analysis right there. And you watch that channel for the mayor Sean Casey and Kevin Millar...I could have sworn the two of them ripped shots before a show once. They were very loosy goosy. Hilarious.

robert terwilliger 11-07-2012 12:47 PM

clubhouse confidential is worth it though.

CDJ* 11-07-2012 12:49 PM

True story


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.