HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Currently,what's the Oilers biggest need? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280409)

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 04:35 AM

Currently,what's the Oilers biggest need?

What need do you think is plaguing the Oilers more than anything else?

I'll say a number 1 defenseman.

Tarus 11-07-2012 04:48 AM

A supporting cast with grit and defensive ability.

TheBusDriver 11-07-2012 04:59 AM

A true #1 goalie

Pyth 11-07-2012 05:05 AM

Center with size > sniper > top 2 defensman

The Imp 11-07-2012 05:07 AM

A league that isn't in the midst of a lock-out.

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyth (Post 55592383)
Center with size > sniper > top 2 defensman

Don't we have a sniper now?

Nail Yakupov?

duul 11-07-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 55592407)
Don't we have a sniper now?

Nail Yakupov?

Yeah we shouldn't need to worry about getting another goal scorer. One or two great defenceman, along with a big #2 center and we should be looking great.

Jepprey 11-07-2012 05:43 AM

Crash n bang top 6 forward with offensive output.

Im glad we will have a point producing defender in Schultz because we really needed that as well.

Bergeron47 11-07-2012 06:40 AM

(1a)1. Top 2 d-man
(1b)2. Legit #1 goalie

3. #2 center with size/grit

Philly85 11-07-2012 06:59 AM

•Top pairing 2 way defense man
•big 2nd line centre
•more grit throughout the bottom 6
•at least one big, physical winger with decent scoring touch for top 2 lines
•legit starting goaltender

The more I think about it the more I believe the Oilers are years away... all that talent and skill up front in itself won't carry them.

supert 11-07-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duul (Post 55592447)
Yeah we shouldn't need to worry about getting another goal scorer. One or two great defenceman, along with a big #2 center and we should be looking great.

Really ? I think we need a whole new bottom 6 that hits everything that moves

worraps 11-07-2012 08:40 AM

Short term: A top 4 d-man. Bouwmeester would fit this nicely assuming the price is right. With the addition of Schultz and development of Klefbom/Marincin, I like our defense long term.

Long term: A 2C with size, skill, and grit. Hopefully this can be addressed in the 2013 draft.

Unknown: Goaltending. Dubnyk could already be the guy. Only time will tell. It would be nice to bring in another young guy to compete with him over the next couple of years. If we get lucky Roy and/or Bunz can fill that role in the not too distant future.

worraps 11-07-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 55593535)
Really ? I think we need a whole new bottom 6 that hits everything that moves

When the time comes to compete, that can fairly easily be addressed in the trade and free agent markets.

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worraps (Post 55593733)
Short term: A top 4 d-man. Bouwmeester would fit this nicely assuming the price is right. With the addition of Schultz and development of Klefbom/Marincin, I like our defense long term.

Long term: A 2C with size, skill, and grit. Hopefully this can be addressed in the 2013 draft.

Unknown: Goaltending. Dubnyk could already be the guy. Only time will tell.

I don't understand why we would need a top 4 defenseman.It's like we have plenty of top 4 defensemen, but a lack of defensemen that can play on the first pairing.

Gord 11-07-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 55592393)
A league that isn't in the midst of a lock-out.

and a good GM.

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worraps (Post 55593733)

Unknown: Goaltending. Dubnyk could already be the guy. Only time will tell. It would be nice to bring in another young guy to compete with him over the next couple of years. If we get lucky Roy and/or Bunz can fill that role in the not too distant future.

Still ,these defensemen aren't projected to be top line material.

Moose Coleman 11-07-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly85 (Post 55592809)
•big 2nd line centre

The more I think about it the more I believe the Oilers are years away... all that talent and skill up front in itself won't carry them.

I don't think all of these things are needed. You just need the right combination of some of them. The Oilers are close to set for top 6 forwards (though a little depth would be nice) and D seems to be an area where there's plenty of possibilities with Schultz, Smid, Petry. IMO at this point there's a big need for depth pieces, guys that can play

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly85 (Post 55592809)
•big 2nd line centre

I remember when Jason Gregor was talking about what the Oilers needs are and he said that the Oilers need to make 4-6 moves.

So,I really don't think your far off.

Mr Forever 11-07-2012 09:00 AM

Players with heart and grit who go out and make hits because they want to, not because they have to.

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 55594017)
Players with heart and grit who go out and make hits because they want to, not because they have to.

Where were you during the 90's?:sarcasm:

Mr Forever 11-07-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 55594063)
Where were you during the 90's?:sarcasm:

In preschool :(

oilersfan11 11-07-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 55594073)
In preschool :(

Ah preschool that was a fun time.:laugh:

worraps 11-07-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 55593797)
I don't understand why we would need a top 4 defenseman.It's like we have plenty of top 4 defensemen, but a lack of defensemen that can play on the first pairing.

We need a top 4 defenseman so Corey Potter doesn't get on the ice. Unless Schultz and Klefbom develop beyond reasonable expectations, we're never going to have a stud d-man (while keeping 4 high scoring forwards).

In my opinion:

Whitney-Bouwmeester
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Peckham

Would be a good bridge to 2 of Klefbom/Marincin/Musil joining the team over the next couple of years.

canovin 11-07-2012 09:21 AM

A leader.

CupofOil 11-07-2012 09:30 AM

1) Strong 2 way center to complement RNH's abilities and also create balance in the top 6.
The Oilers will never go anywhere with the top 6 as it currently stands and sorry Gagner fans but he's the weakest link.

2) Strong, physical defenseman. I'm pretty confident that Schultz will be a top pairing defenseman at the very least at some point and that Smid and Petry will be solid 2nd pairing guys. Klefbom is a few years down the line but he looks to be tracking well to be a top 4 defenseman at some point. The biggest problem is that none of them outside of Smid are tough to play against, crease clearers and even though Smid is tough as nails, he's not what i would consider very physical, he's more of the shot blocking, positional sound type. Musil could be that tough guy but he is several years away.
Similar to the top 6, there's not enough balance between puckmovers and toughness and this needs to be addressed if the Oilers want to be tough to play against when the games become tight checking playoff type games. There is a reason why they struggle the most against big, physical teams like L.A., St. Louis and Phoenix.

3) I don't think goaltending is as big a concern as others make it out to be and this isn't necessarily because i feel that Dubnyk is the guy, it's more because i feel that it's easier to acquire a goalie than it is to fill the other positions of need plus i have really high hopes for Bunz down the line and i think that Dubnyk will be adequate enough.
I see this team in the mold of the Penguins and Blackhawks teams (the way they are being built, not saying they will be as good). Even throw in the Red Wings teams who were built primarily with skill. Those teams had mediocre to good goaltending, not superstars.
MAF is good but not a superstar, Osgood was meh as was Niemi so i believe that if the Oilers reach that level, they won't need superstar goaltending to be elite.