HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Is LA Kings Blue Line Prospect Thomas Hickey Sliding Down The Depth Chart? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280425)

FrozenRoyalty 11-07-2012 08:32 AM

Is LA Kings Blue Line Prospect Thomas Hickey Sliding Down The Depth Chart?

Is LA Kings Blue Line Prospect Thomas Hickey Sliding Down The Depth Chart?

Mr Irreverent 11-07-2012 09:37 AM

Bust!!!

Butch 19 11-07-2012 10:30 AM

how old is this article?

damacles1156 11-07-2012 11:55 AM

If Slava was not down in Manchester, Hickey most likely would not have missed a game. The Monarchs right now have some incredible depth. Morris would be fired, if he didn't utilize it.

Hickey should have been picked around 15 to 25. It's not his fault Dean took him so high. The Kid was never going to be a Big time puck mover, that generated a ton of scoring chances on the back end.

The kid was raw, with some great skating, some decent vision and hands. Anyone that thought this kid was going to be some world beater set themselves up for disappointment right from the get go.

He was a project Dean Picked way too high.....A project just like Forbort(but forbort was picked were he should have went).

Fishhead 11-07-2012 12:51 PM

I thought Hickey was right with Voynov in last year's camp, he was a late cut for a reason. His mental game is completely there, his physical game is obviously behind. If he wasn't plagued with injury issues he would likely be having a decent NHL career. Unfortunately, I see him like a Parse where injuries completely derail the guy. Not that his injuries are serious, they just set him back a long way. I'd love to see him put it together because he would be a good asset.

He was never going to be worth the top pick that was spent on him, I'm not sure what the Kings expected he would turn into. It wasn't a great draft that year outside of Kane, so it's not a huge loss. We also got Simmonds, Martinez, and King that year so I think it's safe to say that overall the 2007 draft did it's job.

Knight of the Realm 11-07-2012 12:52 PM

Bust, but who cares anymore?

Butch 19 11-07-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm (Post 55599131)

You win the Stanley Cup, all, I mean ALL, is forgiven.

I'm still in my happy place from mid-June! :stanley:

FrozenRoyalty 11-07-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch 19 (Post 55599315)
You win the Stanley Cup, all, I mean ALL, is forgiven.

I'm still in my happy place from mid-June! :stanley:

If you're happy with "one-and-done," great. If not, a team needs to continue to draft and develop well.

Hickey is part of that. Although many considered him a draft bust awhile ago, and might be proven right, we still don't know that. Hence, it's still a legit story.

triplcrown 11-07-2012 11:38 PM

Maybe Hickey should go to Sweden and play with the master,
Bud Holloway.

Rod Buskas* 11-08-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm (Post 55599131)

exactly. since we've won the cup, ive forgiving this organization for EVERYTHING.

i actually we hope we keep hickey because he could develop into a bottom pairing cheap reliable defenseman, a poor mans Hjalmarsson.

damacles1156 11-08-2012 12:27 AM

Hickey could replace A-Mart, At some point A-Mart is going to want a sizable raise.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 11-08-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty (Post 55614399)
Hence, it's still a legit story.

It's legit. It's bordering on being too legit!

http://arkfac.com/gfx/feet-images/ha...ious-56x82.gif

sweatypickle 11-08-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 55615055)
Hickey could replace A-Mart, At some point A-Mart is going to want a sizable raise.

and damn well deserves one.

The Tikkanen 11-08-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty (Post 55614399)
If you're happy with "one-and-done," great. If not, a team needs to continue to draft and develop well.

Hickey is part of that. Although many considered him a draft bust awhile ago, and might be proven right, we still don't know that. Hence, it's still a legit story.

You can afford to miss here and there when you have good drafts rather than a good draft pick. Hickey is also one of the few, if not only, high draft pick that has been given all the time in the world to develop in the minors until he earns a spot. The old Kings would have thrown him right into the fire like Aki Berg, sink or swim. IMO, when you can afford to have Hickey toil in the minors you've done a great job drafting overall.

kingsfan 11-08-2012 09:37 AM

As a huge Hickey supporter, even i have to admit this season isn't going well so far for Hickey. I get it that Manchester has depth on D (though with a few injuries theya ren't as deep as we think they are) but when you go from being the 4th overall pick to being a healthy AHL scratch, that's hugely disappointing.

He's back in the line up and playing, so he better pick it up in a hurry. This was basically his make it or break it season, and if the lockout does end soon, he'll be given one last opportunity to wow Kings brass this year, so he better get on the fast track to his best game ASAP or he'll be looking for somewhere else to play.

King'sPawn 11-08-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 55618501)
As a huge Hickey supporter,

I have to admit, I think smaller hickeys are easier to hide, but more power to you for supporting the larger ones ;)

FrozenRoyalty 11-08-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 55617769)
You can afford to miss here and there when you have good drafts rather than a good draft pick. Hickey is also one of the few, if not only, high draft pick that has been given all the time in the world to develop in the minors until he earns a spot. The old Kings would have thrown him right into the fire like Aki Berg, sink or swim. IMO, when you can afford to have Hickey toil in the minors you've done a great job drafting overall.

Agreed. They can afford to be patient.

KINGS17 11-08-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn (Post 55618821)
I have to admit, I think smaller hickeys are easier to hide, but more power to you for supporting the larger ones ;)

Location, location, location.

rajuabju 11-08-2012 05:25 PM

Who is this Hickey you speak of

Johnny Utah 11-08-2012 05:45 PM

The problem is not Hickey, it was the fact the Kings drafted Martinez, Doughty and Voynov and they all jumped up and made the club and they are all young. Kings like the 3 puck movers, 3 stay at home combo on defense.

So, as of now, Hickey is toast unless they trade Voynov or Martinez. Muzzin has a shot because he can take over for Mitchell or Scuderi because he plays a more physical game than Hickey and if he doesn't produce has the size to become a stay at home type guy.

Reaper45 11-08-2012 06:36 PM

I like Hickey but I'd offer him to Chicago for Beach and see if they bite.

Hickey and Loktionov for Beach and a pick.

kingsfan 11-09-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn (Post 55618821)

:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 55629527)
The problem is not Hickey, it was the fact the Kings drafted Martinez, Doughty and Voynov and they all jumped up and made the club and they are all young. Kings like the 3 puck movers, 3 stay at home combo on defense.

So, as of now, Hickey is toast unless they trade Voynov or Martinez. Muzzin has a shot because he can take over for Mitchell or Scuderi because he plays a more physical game than Hickey and if he doesn't produce has the size to become a stay at home type guy.

Doughty, Hickey, Voynov and Martinez... of the one NOT in the Kings line up you'd think it'd be the guy grabbed in the 5th round, not the one who went 4th overall. Hickey has had some hurdles for sure, but to expect him to beat out Martinez (who I like, but isn't ever going to be an all-star) isn't asking much of a 4th overall pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 55630751)
I like Hickey but I'd offer him to Chicago for Beach and see if they bite.

Hickey and Loktionov for Beach and a pick.

Frankly I hope they try and land Paajarvi from Edmonton (cost would be Hickey + I know). Kid has upside of Jere Lehtinen.

Butch 19 11-09-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 55629527)

No, the problem is that a #4 pick was used on Hickey.

Like every other Kings fan I hope he develops fully and becomes a great Dman. But DL could possibly have got him in the 2nd round, and if he was already gone... so what? we'd just have some other player with 5 years experience in the or-gan-EYE-za-tion - or already playing here.

happy place, happy place... :stanley:

The Tikkanen 11-09-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch 19 (Post 55643459)
No, the problem is that a #4 pick was used on Hickey.

Like every other Kings fan I hope he develops fully and becomes a great Dman. But DL could possibly have got him in the 2nd round, and if he was already gone... so what? we'd just have some other player with 5 years experience in the or-gan-EYE-za-tion - or already playing here.

happy place, happy place... :stanley:

To be fair to Lombardi if I remember correctly Hickey was being compared to a young Scott Niedermayer. Those comparisons to HOF players always make me cringe. Olli Jokinen was a young Esa Tikkanen at one point, turns out not exactly the same type of character or player.

Vamos Rafa 11-09-2012 01:47 PM

Thomas Hickey:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...5m1o2_1280.png